Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not out of the woods yet, it is acting up again. It worked well for a few rides and then starting kicking out of gear, not shifting, difficult to get it into neutral, etc. I am thinking I will replace the angle sensor. Just thought I would update that it was not as simple as it initially seemed.

·
Registered
128 Posts
There is an 8mm shaft coming out of the front of the motor, goes through the shift motor gear assembly. Put a 8mm wrench or socket on it and try to shift it up and down. If that works than your problems are electric. If that doesn't work than you have a mecanical problem. There is a pin screwed into the middle case that the shift mecanism indexes off of to return to it's center position. This pin can brake and the shift shaft never centers it's self or goes back to "home" position and it causes shift problems like you discribe. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you @Rocketman5144 I replaced the angle sensor, put a brand new battery in it, and still have the same issues. Sometimes I can get it to work and shift like normal, other times it will not go past second. Every time I turn the key to the on position, it won't show neutral on the display - always just a solid dash (no blinking). I can use the ESP mode to get it into neutral and started but it usually takes a few tries.

I will try that manual shift shaft and see if I can move it. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There is an 8mm shaft coming out of the front of the motor, goes through the shift motor gear assembly. Put a 8mm wrench or socket on it and try to shift it up and down. If that works than your problems are electric. If that doesn't work than you have a mecanical problem. There is a pin screwed into the middle case that the shift mecanism indexes off of to return to it's center position. This pin can brake and the shift shaft never centers it's self or goes back to "home" position and it causes shift problems like you discribe. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.
I can get it to shift one position up or down, it is supposed to turn more than that? With the key on, the screen will show N or 1 at the first movement but after that it reverts to dashes. Any thoughts? Thank you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can get it to shift one position up or down, it is supposed to turn more than that? With the key on, the screen will show N or 1 at the first movement but after that it reverts to dashes. Any thoughts? Thank you.
The error code is 23. I have the service manual and have worked through the troubleshooting for the most part I think.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You may have to rock it back and forth a bit, or jack the rear wheels off the ground and turn them by hand, but yes you should be able to get it to shift through all the gears, all the way to 5 and down to reverse. If you can't something is wrong internally.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok I have gone through the steps that Rocketman5144 suggested and here it what I am getting. With the machine jacked up I can switch up and down thru the gears with the ESP mode, sometimes it will show 1st then if I shift again may show 3rd, continue shifting with thumb shift and can go up to 5th and back down to N, the screen occasionally shown dash line otherwise will show what gear it is in, I sometimes have to turn the key on and off to get it to cycle. While using the wrench starting in N I can shift into gear but the shaft will not return to the middle position, using the gear selector (thumb shift) it will return to the middle position when shifting up and down. Based on this it appears I have an internal transmission problem... any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ok I have gone through the steps that Rocketman5144 suggested and here it what I am getting. With the machine jacked up I can switch up and down thru the gears with the ESP mode, sometimes it will show 1st then if I shift again may show 3rd, continue shifting with thumb shift and can go up to 5th and back down to N, the screen occasionally shown dash line otherwise will show what gear it is in, I sometimes have to turn the key on and off to get it to cycle. While using the wrench starting in N I can shift into gear but the shaft will not return to the middle position, using the gear selector (thumb shift) it will return to the middle position when shifting up and down. Based on this it appears I have an internal transmission problem... any thoughts?

Thanks
Have you got a service manual? They can be found online and downloaded. Get one and start reading. At this point I think you are going to have to tear into it to find out what is wrong. I think I posted a link to the parts diagram with the shift mechanism and the pin that I think is probably your issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@MOfarmer I have a PDF service manual for 2014 to 2017 TRX420 models, let me know if you need it and I can see if there's a good way to share it with you.

@Rockerman5144 is there a pre-load procedure for the angle sensors on the 2016 model? There is nothing in the service manual for this - just says to install it. I put a new angle sensor in and it didn't fix my problems, called my dealership and they said it needs to be preloaded by putting it on upside down and twisting into place, but this doesn't seem physically possible with the layout, I am wondering if that is a procedure for a previous year model. Anyway, I did take the new sensor out and mess with it a bit and turn the metal half moon inside a bit, when I re-installed it that transmission works a lot better but still has issues at times. It seems to be between 2nd and 3rd. Sometimes it will work completely normally, turn it back on 5 minutes later and will act up.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't know of any pre load procedure. Just line it up and install it.
All that sensor does is give feed back to the computer that when you or the computer tell the shift motor to shift the transmission that the shift shaft actually moved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Grass Roots Ranch I downloaded a service manual yesterday and just began to dive into it. In the troubleshooting section one of the first thing it recommends is to troubleshoot the electric shift motor, I'll pull and take a look. When the problem started I had used it and the next day the problems began at startup, not like it occurred doing use, still hoping it's electric vs something mechanical internally. Grass Roots Ranch thanks for the offer, I'll keep posting.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts