Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday an 05 350 Rancher popped up about 20 mins away from me. $300, missing top end, and crap mismatched wheels and tires, but otherwise complete and looked good.

I ran out and picked it up.

Kid took the top end to a local shop that shut down a while back, and apparently hasn't been able to get ahold of anyone to get his top end back.

I have some extra 350 parts from my neighbors' build so I jumped on it.

Thinking about trying one of the cheap ebay new cylinders that come with a piston and top end gaskets.

Will put 420 or SSATV discs on the front, convert it to footshift (it's an ES) and add either a 424 to it or might try to put a 400AT front diff in and wire the actuator in.

That's the third project I've picked up in the last week.
07 Foreman with no rear end, wheels, or top end for $350
89 300 in ROUGH shape, but complete for $200
05 350 Rancher with no top end for $300

Now I just gotta figure out how I'm gonna pay bills this month.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
damn bro, you hit the state lottery ?..lmao. sounds like you got your hands full !. I was gonna get over your way this month, but as you know, my camper had to be fixed, that cost me a lot of cash and time, still not done, but getting there !.

Reactions: misterclean59

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
You're getting some good deals. There's a nice Foreman 450 around here where the guy tore it down and bought all the replacement parts but then lost interest before putting it back together but he's at a grand. Kinda steep considering any time I buy basket case projects there are always parts missing, or way more wrong than the seller let on.

Rob

Reactions: misterclean59

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right now I have in my yard.

2 06 Foreman 500's
07 Foreman 500
2 09 Foreman 500's
07 Rubicon
06 Ricon
2 350D's
450 Foreman
TRX250 (parts bike)
2 350 Ranchers + about 30% of a third one
2 300's
2 420 Ranchers

Wife is not pleased. Not even a little bit.

Most belong to other people, and a couple of them need nothing other than the owners to come get them. LOL

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
you keep it up, your gonna be in the dog house !..lol.

Reactions: SamUK

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
You stole those machines jeep! Good finds though, should keep you busy for a while that's for sure.

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
Your yard sounds just like mine, only add in a few 3 wheelers, dirt bikes, and a bunch of non running lawn mowers and weed eaters.

its like a drug LOL!

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
Your yard sounds just like mine, only add in a few 3 wheelers, dirt bikes, and a bunch of non running lawn mowers and weed eaters.

its like a drug LOL!
I love the wrenching !..but I do not like taking on more than one project at a time ?, this just causes to much trouble, been there, done that, won't do it any more !..lol.

Reactions: Jeepwm69

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I've still got my 06 sitting in the driveway with stripped out swingarm bolts. It's been there since last March or so.

Still haven't gotten my buddy's Rincon right either. Going to have to pull front cover again and figure out why it won't shift into 2nd or 3rd without locking up the rear wheels. Have had it for over a year too.

Plan on the 350 is to put a 400AT front end in it, 420 discs or a SuperATV disc conversion. Convert it to a footshift and let the kids ride it, but it will honestly probably be next year before I get to it given what I need to get done in the meantime.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Jeep, I am just wondering how would you go about doing an 400AT conversion? Is it just a bolt right up type of deal, or does it involve some cutting?

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tore into this one last Sunday afternoon. Got the front end bits and motor pulled. Pulled the front and rear motor covers yesterday, and am waiting on seals and timing chain before I strip it down and split cases to clean everything out.

I have a freshly bored cylinder with new Shindy piston (.50 over) ready to go. Going to pull ES reduction gears and put a footshifter on it.

Ordered new ball joints, tie rod ends, swingarm boot, timing chain, top end gaskets, and lower engine seals from Paulie at Honda East Toledo.

Have a 400AT front diff to go in, and an extra Foreman 500 throttle assembly with factory 4wd switch to use that I'll wire in to work the 4wd. I think I'm going to add an LED to the pod, hook that into the 4wd + wire so that when the 4wd switch is on (front diff actuator activated) the light will be on.

Also have 420 Rancher disc brakes to install (new pivot works bearings in the knuckles)

As of now I think I have everything I need to get it running and finished except swingarm bearings. I'll order those from Boss when I get the motor done and back in the frame.

I also picked up some 12" Foreman wheels, Interco Blem super swampers (26x12x12) for the rear, and have one 26x9.5x12 on hand for the front. Still have to get another 26x9.5x12 for the other front wheel. That will have to wait till payday.

Have a used Warn 2500lb winch and a 24" LED lightbar to go on the front rack.

This is a budget build for one of my kids to ride.

Thus far I have
Bike $300
400 Front diff $74
Front driveshaft $20
Bore cylinder and new piston $140
Tires $150 (one new 9.5 wide came with a parts lot I bought, $75 for 2 blems, $75 for the other front)
Wheels $100
Winch $100
LED lightbar $20
420 Brakes $100
Bits from Paulie $150
Footshift spindle and shifter $35
Figure another $100 in oil, oil filter, and misc stuff

I'll have a little about $1300 in it, not including labor, but it will be gone through, selectable 4wd, disc brakes, winch, and lightbar.

Bike is in great shape cosmetically and ODO only shows 2k miles.

I'll try to get some pics when I get the stuff in from Paulie.

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Going to take the reduction gears out from under the shift motor, and use the footshifter.

The 350 Rancher transmissions are the same between FM and ES (the 450's have different, weaker gears in the ES models). You can swap out the shift spindle, shift shaft, and front cover and convert a 350ES engine to FM, or you can just pull the reduction gears under the shift motor (so you're not fighting the shift motor when you shift) and replace the shift spindle so you can use a proper splined shifter, and it will run and drive just like a factory FM. Of course, you put the shift motor back on sans gears to seal out mud/water.

I did that to my neighbors 02. Runs and drives just like a footshift.

The only question is whether or not the display will throw error codes or not. His display is toast, so can't tell. This one works, so I'll report back as to whether it shows the proper gear and speed, or if it starts blinking error codes.

If I ever want to put it back to ES, just pull shift motor, put gears in, and pull the shifter off.

·
Premium Member
6,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the motor torn down last night.

Found some very nice goop in the bottom of the motor. Normally when I split cases I'm able to keep the transmission and shift drum in the rear 1/2 of the case so I don't have to reset all the crap up, but of course, on this one it all stuck in the front case and came tumbling out when I pulled the front case up and off of the rear case.

So, I got the rear case cleaned out, transmission and shift drum are back in place and setup properly (learned to spin it all while rotating the shift drum to make sure there isn't an issue after putting one back together that had one of the gears flipped around backwards).

I'm getting some more starter fluid today to get the front case 1/2 cleaned up perfectly clean, and will get it put back together.

Also had a top end 10mm bolt broken off in the rear crankcase 1/2. Luckily there was enough poking up to grab it with vice grips and back it out.

Can anyone point out exactly where part number 7 goes? I've done an earlier 350 motor but it's been a while and I don't remember this 2nd screen being in there.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Does that #7 screen catch debris coming from the oil cooler return line? Just a wild guess... nevermind I found the diagram. There are two screens actually. Its a semi-dry sump system, so screens are in there to catch everything coming from the cooler and the tranny shafts/gears & oil galleys.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 140 Posts