Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to drill out a bolt taking apart my rear brakes on 1987 250 and I went into the drum A bit. I know this isn’t great for metal and causes a failure point. I can’t seem to find a replacement on eBay so curious if anyone would see this as dangerous. At wheel turning speeds if it fails it has the steel cover and I’m not sure it would be going fast enough to break apart in a violent way. Am I kidding myself?

·
Premium Member
4,011 Posts
Seems OK to me you could fill it with JB Weld and sand smooth
I don’t think there will be a balance issue

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appreciate the perspectives and i also can't see this being a safety issue. I like the idea of the JB Weld just in case and will do that. This is my 15 year old son's ATV so figured i'd ask as sometimes these things aren't obvious. If this was spinning at engine rotation speed i think this would be a different story....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got a MIG welder i guess i could hit it with that....not sure if its cast or steel or if that matters (still new to welding)….

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've got a MIG welder i guess i could hit it with that....not sure if its cast or steel or if that matters (still new to welding)….
I don't know much about welding but I do know that the material you are welding makes a big difference in what rod you use. Sounds like if your going to try, practice on something else of the same material first. Like already stated though, that thing looks fine but that's just my opinion. (Just don't ride on the edge of any cliffs) :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Do not weld, it may crack. It will be fine as long as you keep it under 100mph. The tires will be way more out of balance than that drum.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mig it and grind it down no problem
or JB weld either one will work fine
Whatever you are comfortable with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts