Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, thanks for a great forum. Although I officially joined today I've used a ton of threads as a lurker.
I finally got my first ATV about three weeks ago. It's an '02 Honda Foreman Rubicon, 500cc. Has about 320 hours and is in great shape from what I could tell.
Today I let it idle in Drive for a couple minutes and it died. Sometimes when it's cold it does that. Usually I can just shift back into Neutral and fire her back up.
However, on today's occasion, I couldn't shift back into Neutral to start it back up. The ATV is currently out in the field stuck in Drive.
I can shift to Low, but not to Neutral or Reverse. I felt around all the rods and the gears near the shifter and nothing is jammed in there, so I'm not sure what could be going on.
I'd greatly appreciate any advice y'all could offer. I couldn't find this exact problem on another thread, but if you point me in the direction of one you think might work for me I'd be glad to go through it.
- James

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
don't know much about your model ?..other than they suck !..lol. butttttttt..it looks as if yours is elec shift ..correct ?..first thing i'd check ..is to make sure the battery is fully charged !!..the elec shift models have to have a fully charged battery in order to shift right !.

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
Rogue, You have a very good atv. The Rubicon is a great, hard working machine.
First, try rocking your machine back and forth as you try to shift it; especially if it has been stopped in an incline. Next, do take an extra battery along with you as your battery may be starting to fail and may not be able to deliver enough current to complete the shift. If all else fails, you should have a 'shift tool' in your tool bag which will allow you to manually shift your transmission. Your owners' manual tells you what that shift tool looks like and where to insert it on your machine.
One of these things should get you going again.
Oh yes, if you need to start your machine, but can not since it is not in neutral, hold in the right front brake handle while pressing your start button and you should then be able to start it. :)
Good luck sir!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rogue, You have a very good atv. The Rubicon is a great, hard working machine.
First, try rocking your machine back and forth as you try to shift it; especially if it has been stopped in an incline. Next, do take an extra battery along with you as your battery may be starting to fail and may not be able to deliver enough current to complete the shift. If all else fails, you should have a 'shift tool' in your tool bag which will allow you to manually shift your transmission. Your owners' manual tells you what that shift tool looks like and where to insert it on your machine.
One of these things should get you going again.
Oh yes, if you need to start your machine, but can not since it is not in neutral, hold in the right front brake handle while pressing your start button and you should then be able to start it. :)
Good luck sir!
This literally just saved my life lmao I was in a field and it wouldn’t shift but I read this and did what it said and it shifted

1 - 5 of 5 Posts