Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Down here we are heading into winter and time to start another project.

So far a have stripped it down had it sandblasted and hot dip galvanised. Now it’s time to put the jigsaw back together.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,489 Posts
Galvanized seems like it would last a long time .------Something that comes to mind if you were to do this , bolts holes could be tapped to clean out the galvanize out the threads , but did you find a tap for the swing arm pivot bolt threads , do you have to grind out the holes for the ball joints, do you have to clean out the oring grooves on the axle tubes and swing arm , what about the rubber bushings in the a-arms ?

·
Premium Member
3,932 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cleaning out the threads is easy enough just run a tap through them. As for the pivot pins for swing arm I have some spares that I leave in and heat the pins to remove later, if that makes sense. The rest is done with a drill and sanded cone.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep. I could powder coat or paint but just more cost and you get some good comments when guys see it all finished.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Yep. I could powder coat or paint but just more cost and you get some good comments when guys see it all finished.
Yep I recall your other (wet weekend project) build ....turned out sharp! I'm looking forward to the end result!

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
You have a tank or a friend that galvanizes or what? That's handy. There are places here that do it but it's pricey. I'd love to dip my mid 80's Jeep frames and bodies. Dang things rust if you look at them funny.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have a tank or a friend that galvanizes or what? That's handy. There are places here that do it but it's pricey. I'd love to dip my mid 80's Jeep frames and bodies. Dang things rust if you look at them funny.
Here in New Zealand there are commercial businesses that do the galvanising. Cost me $175 to get everything done.

·
Premium Member
12,489 Posts
Looking really good ------- what about the front drive shaft or 4x2 kick out ( which ever you are going to use ) , are you going to be able to get it in with out loosening the front diff again

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looking really good ------- what about the front drive shaft or 4x2 kick out ( which ever you are going to use ) , are you going to be able to get it in with out loosening the front diff again
Sorry you’ve lost me there. 4x4 not 4x2 if that is what you mean?

·
Super Moderator
38,044 Posts
fish is talking about the part that is known as a warn 424 kick out. it lets you disengage the front diff with a part that replaces part of the front drive shaft, and operates with a simple push and pull of a button. personally ?, I hate them, I use full time 4wd, does not bother me to drive in full time 4wd at all.

·
Premium Member
12,489 Posts
the front drive can be replaced with a Gizmo called a Wide Open 4wd disconnect , when you pull the cable , the dogs inside slide and disconnect 4wd , then you are 2wd , push the cable in and it is 4wd ---makes it a lot easier to steer with a much tighter turning radius when you don't need 4wd

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
fish is talking about the part that is known as a warn 424 kick out. it lets you disengage the front diff with a part that replaces part of the front drive shaft, and operates with a simple push and pull of a button. personally ?, I hate them, I use full time 4wd, does not bother me to drive in full time 4wd at all.
Never seen one in this country nor disc brake conversion. Shame we don’t have them though :sad

1 - 20 of 22 Posts