Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 lb winch i would like to mount but it came with a larger control to operate it at. here is a couple pics of it and i was wondering if i could use a small toggle switch like on warnes. And if so do i need other wireing harness wire it up. I think every thing is contaned in the operating handle that came with it. If any one has info on this matter please let me know. Here are the pics of the winch the controler has all the wireing on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
That doesn't look like an ATV winch to me.

To answer the question, it would be possible to fabricate a smaller control unit, yes. However, it looks to me that the control handle that comes with that winch just uses push button switches to control all the current to the winch.... which you really don't want to do.

You would want to build an controller that would use a small switch on the handlebar that energizes a relay that controls the current to the winch.

Frankly, if I have guessed correctly, it would be easier to sell this winch on Craigslist and buy a proper one made for an ATV.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I just spent a few seconds trying to design a control circuit to do this. Its simple, but complicated at the same time.

The design would be extremely simple if the winch motor was grounded with 2 positive control wires, one for in and one for out. But, they aren't designed that way, at least mine isn't. They are designed such that the direction of the winch is controlled by changing the direction of current flow through only 2 wires, and the motor itself is not grounded.

That makes it more complicated, and it's not as simple as just controlling a relay with a switch and call it a day.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I agree with Pain. The controller on this winch was designed cheaply. The current from the winch motor is going to be running through that controller. If you use the winch a lot, the controller is probably going to get hot and it probably won't last long. The better quality winches use relays/contactors, so that the motor isn't drawing the current through the controller switch. If you just use the winch occasionally, it might do OK.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Here is a circuit to do the controls for the winch. I used basic parts that should be readily available at most parts distributors. You could do it with electronics, but this is the brute force method that the typical backyard mechanic can do.

2 relays, 20 amp, or how ever big they need to be for the winch motor.
1 rocker switch for the handlebars, mom - NO - mom
1 diode

I'd probably also add a safety switch up under the seat along with a fuse so the winch couldn't come on accidentally if you hit the switch by accident.

Like I said, it would probably be better in the long run to get an ATV winch, but this will work if you're feeling adventurous. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Yeah, that will work. Is the winch you have now made for a vehicle? Is says it's 12V, but what's it really intended for?

The reason I ask is I just want to be sure how the motor is wired before I can be certain that unit [or the one I designed for you] will work.

As long as the winch motor is as I expect, 2 wires to the motor, then that ebay unit will work for you.

I would also put a safty switch up under the seat or somewhere easily accessible, because it's easy to hit those handlebar switches and either let out cable and twist it all up inside the winch, or tighten the cable down and possibly burn up the motor without you knowing you hit the switch.

Good find on the control unit!

Oh, and BTW. Do a little searching on the internet for that control unit, because sometimes [often] those ebay stores have prices higher than you can find yourself if you just do a little google searching.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The winch is a basic utility winch and only has two wire hook ups on it. And thanks for the info I will put it to good use.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Me and my dad had the same problem with my winch. Are all the wires are apart of the controller? If so all you would have to do is run one to the battery (and and them attached to the winch), then cut the other set (where you would want to), to the controller and make a plug that you can connect and disconnect. hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Cool.

In your last post you said the winch has just a 2 wire hook up. I just want to be sure you know that you're going to need to do some surgery on that winch to make that controller work with it. You'll need to remove that control handle from the winch and wire up the controller directly to the winch motor.

I just want to be sure we're on the same page and I haven't led you astray with my information.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Yeah, that's for the controller. I'm talking about the winch you have now. Since it is completely wired up already with the control handle already attached to the unit [I assume], then you're going to need to remove all that stuff and get it down to just the 2 wires going into the winch motor itself.

Once you have it like that, then you can follow the instructions you posted for connecting the new controller.

Open up the winch you have now and snap some pictures of it and post them up so I can see it up close.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no the controler is not wired to the winch. It needs to be hooked up the winch just has two bolts on the sides to hook up the controler.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Oh really? Then you should be golden.

Let me ask this. How is the 12V wired into the unit? Is it wired to the controler, or what? I'm just a bit confused and I want to be sure that I don't tell you something wrong.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I don't know for sure how his is, but most I have seen like that have two wires from the battery going into the controller and two wires coming back out of the controller that bolt to two studs on the winch motor.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
If that's true then he can just throw that big yellow controller in the trash and wire up his new controller to the 2 studs on the winch motor. :icon_ rocker:

I just wanted to be exactly sure that the 2 studs he was talking about was the power to the winch, and NOT incoming 12v power from the battery.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
If that's true then he can just throw that big yellow controller in the trash and wire up his new controller to the 2 studs on the winch motor. :icon_ rocker:

I just wanted to be exactly sure that the 2 studs he was talking about was the power to the winch, and NOT incoming 12v power from the battery.
Yeah, I think that will work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hay pain i found the part on e-bay from a company called venom atv parts and i got it for 16 dollars cheaper than the other place i found first.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts