Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
but be curious about anyone who has actual experience pulling trees
Oh ya! Many many times..... Use the draw bar! I wouldnt pull from ether rack, it's just a matter of time before they get damaged.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Just for the record four M8 8.8 tensile bolts should shear at 2189 lbs. That's new bolts in new nuts/threads..

The rest I should imagine is self explanatory.
which is why , I guess, I see guys getting away with rack mounts..pulling their 500lb bikes out of some mud where they simply can't get traction...?

·
Registered
4,667 Posts

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,801 Posts
Just for the record four M8 8.8 tensile bolts should shear at 2189 lbs. That's new bolts in new nuts/threads..

The rest I should imagine is self explanatory.
which is why , I guess, I see guys getting away with rack mounts..pulling their 500lb bikes out of some mud where they simply can't get traction...?
Try pulling through a 10 foot clay (peanut butter) hole, carrier will bend and/or pull the uprights off the carrier.
It's a disaster waiting to happen.

You wouldn't mount a winch to your truck bonnet (hood) would you? It's a similar scenario lol

·
Super Moderator
36,413 Posts
all winch manufacture's CLEARLY state in the box, must/should be mounted to the frame. the frame is the strongest part of the atv. this is not like you see a winch sticking out of the front bumper of a 4x4 truck or jeep ?, those bumpers are strong !. racks/bumpers just can not handle the stress a winch puts on them, its not going to happen !!!!. now, if your going to be pulling very light stuff, across flat land, with nothing to keep the atv from holding back ?, then sure..it could be done ( but I would never mount a winch to the bumper or rack ). my '89 trx350D foreman did not ever have a winch mounting plate made for them back then, soooooooo..i made my own. 3/16 steel plate, welded it to the cross tubes that are made into the frame. so far, its held up great !!!!.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've had my winch mounted on a plate welded to the front rack for at least ten years with no problems at all. I've winched allot of timber out into an area where you can attach it properly and don't forget your snach blocks and tree savers. I don't "haul" with it...thats what the ball and choker is for. And it's much easier to drive forward than in reverse, HA! But I will have to say that there was not an option considering I've got an 84 three wheel Big Red. This thread caught my eye cause I just picked up the steel to start building a new bumper with a new winch for my 4Runner. Good welds can outperform bolts many times. We all got opinions, just log onto a site that debates the pros and cons about welding or using bolts to mount your bumper. I plan on doing both and it won't tweek or break. You guy's got a nice site here.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts