Honda ATV Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The gears are only one part of the winch....I've never said that Warn was or wasn't stronger internally. I just said I would like to see a newer Warn compared so it would be a little more fair. Don't try and put words in my mouth.
The China winches are not a 10 to 15 year old copy of anything, the China companies have been manufacturing winches for Warn, Smittybilt, Viper, KFI, and dozens of other companies using the same basic gear designs.

Gears do fail in winches, as do drums and electrical components

There are many other benefits to the Superwinch design besides the gears. They also have a Steel drum, 6 gauge wiring and a circuit breaker to protect from overload that would cause failure.
Ok, so find anywhere in this thread where I mentioned anything about Chinese winches...

And I'm not sure if I understand your post. I said that I've never seen gears fail in a Warn or a SW, and your retort was that gears fail in some winches and other parts fail too? I never said gears never fail in any winch, just I haven't seen them fail in a Warn or SW.

I don't know why I waste my time reading and posting in these ridiculous winch posts. I thought this one was going to turn out civilized and educational but I clearly made a misjudgement. You guys are so keen to jump all over my posts you can't even read them first.

You SW guys (which is most of you) all claim that SW makes the best winch, and it's so much better then anything else. So why do you feel the need to defend them so much? Why are you so easily offended at the slightest, and I mean the slightest remark about SW being inferior in anyway? I feel if I said that SW used an inferior quality paper in their instruction manual I'd get 15 replies in an hour telling me to get bent and that Warn's instruction manuals actually use staples of lesser thickness and they will break easier....?

Talk about easy to get riled up.
Seems like you are the one riled up, I was just trying to explain.
Most of the winches you mentioned are made in China, I assumed you knew that.

·
Banned
2,860 Posts
The China winches are not a 10 to 15 year old copy of anything, the China companies have been manufacturing winches for Warn, Smittybilt, Viper, KFI, and dozens of other companies using the same basic gear designs.

Gears do fail in winches, as do drums and electrical components

There are many other benefits to the Superwinch design besides the gears. They also have a Steel drum, 6 gauge wiring and a circuit breaker to protect from overload that would cause failure.
Ok, so find anywhere in this thread where I mentioned anything about Chinese winches...

And I'm not sure if I understand your post. I said that I've never seen gears fail in a Warn or a SW, and your retort was that gears fail in some winches and other parts fail too? I never said gears never fail in any winch, just I haven't seen them fail in a Warn or SW.

I don't know why I waste my time reading and posting in these ridiculous winch posts. I thought this one was going to turn out civilized and educational but I clearly made a misjudgement. You guys are so keen to jump all over my posts you can't even read them first.

You SW guys (which is most of you) all claim that SW makes the best winch, and it's so much better then anything else. So why do you feel the need to defend them so much? Why are you so easily offended at the slightest, and I mean the slightest remark about SW being inferior in anyway? I feel if I said that SW used an inferior quality paper in their instruction manual I'd get 15 replies in an hour telling me to get bent and that Warn's instruction manuals actually use staples of lesser thickness and they will break easier....?

Most of the winches are made in china...... 100% is not most. 100% is all lol.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Not one person, including OP has mentioned.......sealing. We should be evaluating the differences there too since most ATVs see water at some point in their life. I mention it because I bought a viper for one reason its supposed to be sealed. Recommended one to a buddy and after some deep water dips the free spool engagement doesn't work and we suspect it may have gotten wet internally. Also, I bought a bike with the contactors mounted on the wheel well and the winch wouldn't work after going through puddles (warn). To me, prevention of water intrusion on all winch parts is extremely important.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

There are still a few companies claiming "Made in USA" Because they are assembled here with China parts.
Ramsey is one of them. I don't see many on the forums running them, they are $450 or more for a 3000 lb winch!

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
, I bought a bike with the contactors mounted on the wheel well and the winch wouldn't work after going through puddles (warn). .
I'm pretty sure any winch manufacturers' solenoid would fail if it were mounted inside the wheel well of an All Terrain Vehicle.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
There are still a few companies claiming "Made in USA" Because they are assembled here with China parts.
Ramsey is one of them. I don't see many on the forums running them, they are $450 or more for a 3000 lb winch!

Made in the USA means nothing to me. I've had junk made in the USA, and great products made in China. The only Chinese brand winch I would buy is a Runva, they are supposed to be a direct copy of a Warn winch, but cheaper then a SW.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Not one person, including OP has mentioned.......sealing. We should be evaluating the differences there too since most ATVs see water at some point in their life. I mention it because I bought a viper for one reason its supposed to be sealed. Recommended one to a buddy and after some deep water dips the free spool engagement doesn't work and we suspect it may have gotten wet internally. Also, I bought a bike with the contactors mounted on the wheel well and the winch wouldn't work after going through puddles (warn). To me, prevention of water intrusion on all winch parts is extremely important.
Your right buddy.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
I think all modern day winches are pretty well sealed, maybe not the super cheap 2000 lb models.
This statement from Superwinches website is at least 6 years old:

This is the industry’s first truly sealed ATV winch assembly. All seals on the entire winch, from the outermost end of the motor to the ergonomic Free-Spooling control knob, exceed the IP67 rating. Even the handlebar-mounted rocker switch, the 10’ hand-held remote, and the solenoid are sealed to meet tough standards, which ensures water, mud, snow, and dust is kept out.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

Made in the USA means nothing to me. I've had junk made in the USA, and great products made in China. The only Chinese brand winch I would buy is a Runva, they are supposed to be a direct copy of a Warn winch, but cheaper then a SW.
Do you have any pictures comparing the Runva quality (Never heard of it) to anything else?

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
No internal pictures. From what other guys on more open minded forums have said, a lot of the Warn and Runva parts interchange. Guy who had it went though 2 of the LT superwinches (not the Terra) before running this winch. Had good luck with it. I'll probably pick one up for my 300 but wont have time to take it apart. They are cheap enough that it wouldn't be a big loss if it didn't work out.

Runva Winch Canada (Winch Wholesale Dealer)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
No internal pictures. From what other guys on more open minded forums have said, a lot of the Warn and Runva parts interchange. Guy who had it went though 2 of the LT superwinches (not the Terra) before running this winch. Had good luck with it. I'll probably pick one up for my 300 but wont have time to take it apart. They are cheap enough that it wouldn't be a big loss if it didn't work out.

Runva Winch Canada (Winch Wholesale Dealer)[/url]
Do you really think this post adds any useful information to the thread?

41 - 51 of 51 Posts