Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Honda Rubicon 500. I had the carburetor cleaned and changed the spark plug. Its getting gas in the carburetor but its still not cranking. It turns over like it should.
What could cause this or be the problem?

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Do you have a spark? Is it the correct spark plug? Is the carb set up as per FSM? Since cleaning the carb have you fitted an inline fuel filter?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I have spark. It is the right spark plug also. The is set fsm and no I didn't and install a inline fuel filter

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
how old is the fuel?
If older than say a month, I'd start fresh, drain tank, MAKE sure tank is clean
if tank is dirty, your so called clean carb is NOW dirty again!
OR was it ever cleaned RIGHT to start with>
just spraying a disassembled carb with carb cleaner is NOT cleaning the carb
maybe carb needs a rebuild kit?
if you have good fuel and good spark

MY next question will be what is the compression on this motor< was it ever sunk?
HOW many hrs on the motor> any chance it jumped time?
more info we get, better we can help you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The carb was took Honda dealership cleaned and rebuilt. The engine has 8600 hours on it. The guy i got it from said that it has not ever been sunk. Its could have possibly just time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It will every once in a while it will crank up but it will only run for about 30 seconds then it will shut down. Its like its starving for gas.

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Like mrbb said, how old is your gas? Just to have peace of mind I'd drain the tank and start with new gas. When the tank is emptied, look for crap inside the tank such as rust? If so, that might be one of your problems; which will also take you back to cleaning the carb.

When it does start, does it take the gas when you press the throttle or does it make it stall?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The gas thats in the tank was put in it Monday after noon. I drained the tank and checked for trash and rust in the tank. Did not see anything in the tank. So i put some gas in the tank and swished it around and drained the tank again. I put the gas tank back on and hooked the hose back up on the carb.

When it does start you have to keep the throttle pressed to keep it running.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
something is not right. if it ran before you touched the carb ?, and now it won't ?, it's the carb giving you trouble. to test this, spray a SHORT burst of starting fluid in the intake/carb, try starting it. if it cranks then ?, your not getting fuel to the engine. if it does not crank with starting fluid ?, then you have timing issues ?, or not enough compression ?. :).

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
OK well at 8600 hours that's a LOT of hours
I would for sure be doing a compression test, you very likely need a new top end, LOW compression will not let the motor run or start!
SO< IMO< I would start with a compression test, and of course still have fresh fuel
and like I said, if the fuel in tank was old, and the tank was dirty(not removed and cleaned) and you had carb cleaned at dealership
as soon as they put carb back on and ran OLD dirty gas in tank back into carb, you can AGAIN, have a dirty carb, all a waste of time paying the first time to have cleaned
if you don';t clean tank FIRST, or be sure it is clean< cleaning a carb is a waste of time?

all things flow from TANK to carb to motor
if tank has bad fuel, or a dirty tank, anything down stream will get dirty again and again>> till you clean from the source first!

also at this many hours , I would maybe replace fuel lines from tank to carb too, as 8600 hours, he ran a LOT of fuel thru this thing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts