Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I have a 2013 420 with detroit gearless locker in front and zillas all the way around. The front's are 26x9-12 and rear are 26x11-12. I am very happy with these tires, they are great all around, in the snow, mud, gravel, etc. However I do a lot of riding in Muskeg, or bottomless mud/terrain. The zillas dig right down to the bottom if they spin. Last fall i borrowed a set of old Carlisle Trail Wolfs that friend had laying around. These tires did not have 1/4 of the tread compared to the zillas, but they were all 12 width tires and I think they would have measured a bit wider. They also have a really square profile. They looked dumb, and would rub on full turn, but they were night and day in the muskeg. I literally drove right over my tracks where i was stuck with the zillas the day before.

My question for you guys, is whats the widest tire our there with some decent tread? I will space out if needed, i am not really hard on the machine so im not too worried about added stress. Anyone have experience running all wides on a rancher? I am really looking to get this girl to float and only dig when I have to. For instance, a lot of my riding is with waders, and i spend a lot of time jumping off the quad to nurse it through bottomless holes.

Any input would be helpful, Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 520 rubicon foot shift
380 Posts
IDK where to get wide wheels, most guys just run 7 inch wide wheels with 10-12 inch wide tires.
For off roading skinny wheels are better IMO, its harder to bend them or jam stuff in the bead when the tire is a bunch wider than the rim.
I've had 12 wide tires on stock 7.5 wide rims a few times and my buds have them on aftermarket 7 inch wide rims without issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up with Maxxis Mud Bugs, 26x12x12 on all four corners.

I found 8" wide Moose 387X wheels..
Part number 0230-0625 up front. These are a 4+4 offset. No Clearance issues with stock suspension
Part number 0230-0443 in the rear. These are 2+6 offset.

This new setup completely changed the machine. I love my Maaxis Zillas (front's are 26x9-12 and rear are 26x11-12), but they are not a flotation style tire. With the Mud Bugs in "all wides" at 4psi I was able to crawl through areas that I would always get stuck in before. In some cases in the tall swamp grass I was able to walk the quad (i was knee deep with waders) and the quad just floated right on top. Absolute game changer. The extra foot print width also kept me from falling into ruts.

The Mud Bug and 387x combo are heavier, no doubt, but I wasn't to concerned about power loss, my main goal was to not spin and dig, the 420 had plenty of power for that and still could run high 40s mph on the gravel roads.

The zillas will go back on for every day trail riding, but the Mud Bugs are going to be my go two for the mud, muck and muskeg!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ske
Hi guys,
I have a 2013 420 with detroit gearless locker in front and zillas all the way around. The front's are 26x9-12 and rear are 26x11-12. I am very happy with these tires, they are great all around, in the snow, mud, gravel, etc. However I do a lot of riding in Muskeg, or bottomless mud/terrain. The zillas dig right down to the bottom if they spin. Last fall i borrowed a set of old Carlisle Trail Wolfs that friend had laying around. These tires did not have 1/4 of the tread compared to the zillas, but they were all 12 width tires and I think they would have measured a bit wider. They also have a really square profile. They looked dumb, and would rub on full turn, but they were night and day in the muskeg. I literally drove right over my tracks where i was stuck with the zillas the day before.

My question for you guys, is whats the widest tire our there with some decent tread? I will space out if needed, i am not really hard on the machine so im not too worried about added stress. Anyone have experience running all wides on a rancher? I am really looking to get this girl to float and only dig when I have to. For instance, a lot of my riding is with waders, and i spend a lot of time jumping off the quad to nurse it through bottomless holes.

Skeg riding is a different world. Love watching those crazy Canadian people with the can ams. I did the mud pit thing for a while, my bike was a highly modified foreman 450, bored and stroked to 550, dual 2 inch snorkel with a supertrapp exhaust, Detroit up front, 6 inch lift, stretched swingarm, and 27 by 12 vampires on all 4 corners. Power equals nothing on skeg! You Break through your done. Crawling was a different story, my vampires were good, guys with 28 by 12.5 outlaws all the way around did a little more. The new generation of mud tires are too aggressive for skeg in my opinion. The Canadian guys are spinning them so fast they float across. My buddy has a Rubicon with 27 inch bearclaws and does great. Is rancher does even better with those tires. Wider with a short lug is how I'd do it, bearclaws, original superswamper, itp black water, or mudlites.
Hi guys,

Dou
Thanks for the suggestion. I just ordered a set. Do you know where I could find some 8 or 9 inch wide rims?
Douglas aluminum for wheels

·
Registered
2020 520 rubicon foot shift
380 Posts
There's a few skeg type swamps by my place, we dont ride there much as once you make ruts the next guy is done.
The key is never spinning, just crawl in diff lock.
All the videos you see of guys ridng in skeg are assbackwards, they hit it wide open and try to skim/paddle across, it looks cool but doesnt work 9/10 times, I wish they'd stop posting them as new guys think thats how its done.
I was at a mud run last summer with a skeg hole off to the side of it. A bunch of us crawled right through it no problem then some young guys try to roost across full throttle and sunk. We crawled up to them, pulled them out and told em to just crawl, they pinned it again and sank so I rode around them and left lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts