Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wandering if anybody has info on putting a 450r axle into a 300ex for widening if so how much wider is it and could i get some extra knowledge on the subject

·
Registered
195 Posts
if they use the same swing arm, then all you would have to do is measure the distance between the mounting surface of the hubs on both. I'm sure that someone here that has a 450r will measure their's so that you can compair the two.

·
Registered
195 Posts
depending on how wide you want to go, I've got a piar of 2.5" wheel spacers that i took off of my 400ex that you can have for $10+ shipping. I'll even send the long grade 8 bolts that i took off with them.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
I agree with jeeping1974 spacers are the easiest way to go. and you can also flip the front wheels around and get about 4 inches on the front just make sure you have short valvestems so they dont hit the calipers.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You could alwasy by some new rims too with a smaller offset. I.E. 9" wide wheel might have a 3+6 offset.

I like having a narrower rear as it helps making the turning radius tighter. With a wider rear stance, you are more stable but the turning will suffer. I noticed a huge difference with and without the wheel spacers in the back while riding in the woods.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Yeah....Trees!!!! LOL I have a difficult time on the trails, some of them are wy too narrow for my 4wheeler, I try to not ride the trails much. Nothing feels better than clipping a tree with your rear tire and having your handlebars fed to you chest.

I noticed a huge difference with and without the wheel spacers in the back while riding in the woods

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my buddy has a 450r i just didnt know whether or not it would work but i only wanna go like an inch out on each side if anyone has some advice there lol and trees i dont have to worry about too much its just i am 6ft around 160lbs and my quad just wants to roll up on two wheels

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'd get some wheel spacers and call it good.

I've got 50 pound on you, less one inch and the front stays down. Ya just have to lean forward some. lol

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Dang I must be the fat guy here I got a hundred pounds on Tearaway99!!LOL and about 5 inches.. Yes I ride a 250X. BUt spacers are the way to go and alot less work. Flip the front wheels like I stated earlier in the post.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Ive had A really bad experiance with spacers so be careful, i cleared a double one time and when i landed i broke off a wheel, the added distance from the hub to the wheel weakens it, makeing the studs easyer to snap off, but as long and your not cleating 15+feet (up not out) then u should be fine And im just like u 6'4 165

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
I agree with Josh about the spacers snapping off, but if you buy good quality spacers you should be fine but then agian Im not a jumper atleast not 15ft. up I'd probably pass out! LOL. for two simple reasons 1. I'm not an agressive rider more on the novice side. and 2. heavy objects (ME) tend to make things fall faster and harder. besides my shocks couldn't handle that much force...... talking about preload!! I already excede the load limit on my 250X but I'm looking at a UTE so my wife can ride to and it will hold me.

·
Registered
195 Posts
There are hubs out there that stick out an extra inch over the factory ones. I've seen them on e-bay and denniskirk.com.

If you do go with a spacer and it does not have studs (it's just a plastic one), I'd upgrade to grade 8 bolts. They have a 28,000 PSI breaking strength, which is twice that of a grade 5 (what some studs are rated as).

·
Registered
391 Posts
Tim is right if u upgrade the studs you should be safe, But let us know what happens

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
I would Reckomend studs of grade 8 or higher quality, I have spacers on mine but I don't do any big jumping either. I like to keep at least 2 wheels on the ground preferrably the rear ones at all times. LOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
theres a guy that has a store on ebay who makes brushed alluminum wheel spacers for like 115 a pair lol i was looking at getting them but not yet dont feel like dropping that much on them yet but trust me i will i also just got my full exhaust today so i am pretty happy lol finally get to get rid of the stock..but as i thought you guys have alot of knowledge i am absorbing and much like trx2five0 i am not a 15ft jumper either just because i dont have that stuff around me mostly like up to 10ft air lol

·
Registered
391 Posts
Just wanted to put it outhere, so that u can make an educated decision

1 - 18 of 18 Posts