Honda ATV Forum banner

why HONDA is THE BEST

8K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  Helmut 
#1 ·
i am posting this thru my cousins account. but i have a 1987 250x, completely stock. no mods, and still has the original tires. never torn apart, and to my knowledge the only thing ever done to it has been a new air filter, chain and oil. oh yea, and a new 11 or 12 tooth sprocket in the front. this quad has been thru mud, water, flipped, rock-crawled, hill climbs, high RPM's, and jus about anything else u could think of. and i have let it sit for months at a time, u kno u shouldnt be doing that right? well i did. and yes, sweat built up in the gastank, and i DID spray ether into the airbox. ill touch on this in a second. needless to say i LOVE my quad. having said all that i will now say this. this weekend, my buddy let me borrow his LTZ 400. i would say its between a 2003-2005 model. it is clean, and new and should be working. right? WRONG. this "zuki" has sat for a couple of months without being cranked. so i went to pick it up friday. my buddy was doing a few last minute checks on it before i loaded it into my truck. saturday rolls around, and might i mention i did a few things to assure it ran myself. we thought we "loosened" up the trash in the carb. i found out saturday we didnt. the b*tch loaded up constantly, and i couldnt ride like i wanted. electric start finally killed the battery after firing it up what seemed like 100 times on the trail... all because the carb was loading up and killing the motor. my day was cut short, and frustrated me. so we loaded it up and took it back to fix it. we took off the carb. this whole experience was veeerrry dificult. we took the plastics off, and it took about a whole hour to get the carb off. we cleaned it( it was sooo full of trash) and put it all back together. tried firing it once again and while it did run, all we did was shake it side to side, before it would die. i have nooo idea whats going on with this thing. having said all of this, after i got frustrated with quad, i hopped on my 87' 250x, kicked it ONE TIME, and ran it like its supposed to run. im sorry suzuki, but u will never ever be a HONDA.

See less See more
#2 ·
personally..i'll ride a honda....hell will have to freeze over..before i ride anything else !!..with that said..it's not what you ride..that makes or breaks your day..it's ppl not taking care of thier atv's..motor cycle..what ever !!..if more ppl would do this..maintain them..they will last as long as you take care of them. now..with thatttttt being said..HONDA RULES !!!.

#3 ·
I agree with shade. Its how you maintain your machine. I've accually seen Hondas break down more than most other brands. Why? Because its the brand I see and ride with the most. Everyone makes good quads, even Polaris. Sometimes, things just go wrong. But you can't just say its because its not a Honda. There are all kinds of things I don't like about my Rincon, but its my quad so I love it and I'll defend it too the death when someone is talking shit on it. Thats how it goes when its yours. I love my Z400 the same way, I was thinking in the back head, "How dare you say such things about the Z400", lol. But some people have bad luck with some quads, and there is always that one quad that never let them down. Mine was my 2000 Hondad Recon. What didn't I do to that poor quad. Rolled it countless times, drowned it about 8 times before it got a new piston and rings, fried the clutch, wasted the shocks. No matter what I did to it, she always carried my ass back home. And it is still running for the guy who has it now, and he accually likes riding that more than his '05 Rancher. What I'm tring to convey is I also love my Honda, and I do think that Honda has the most loyal riders.

#4 ·
Oh, and I owe all that reliability to my Dad, who continues to fix my machines when I bring them back with parts missing, bent racks, and smoking exhaust. The rest of my family, and my friends also come crawling to him when they need something fixed.

#5 ·
I'll agree with u guys on it's all how u take care of them. I've only owned 2 honda's. Because I've always rode yammy's. But Michael's Honda 90 was the tuffest mini on the planet. If he couldn't tear it up, it can't be tore up.And the 300ex has been the best quad ever. With 13 xc races at 2hrs each I've not done anything except change the oil and put brake pads on it. But I'm very picky and I mean VERY picky on the maintenance on it. Now the other dads with the rappy 250's have had quite a bit of problems,and their kids don't ride them like he does.

I do believe that Honda rules.But I use to hate them.

#7 ·
Yeah I'm biased I will only own Honda's, Even my micro sprint is Honda powered. They never let me down and after dragging many trikes home, putting fresh gas and a new plug in them and them running after only a couple pulls or kicks after being left for dead next to a tree in someone's backyard is enough for me never to change.

#8 ·
And that brings me to my next point. Why change If it ain't broke? Most riders will stick with what they know, especially if it never lets them down. My uncle had some problems with the belt on his Prairie 650, when they first came out. He just couldn't keep the belt on it. So now he hates all belt drives, and says he'll only own a Honda or similar type transmission.

#9 ·
early Honda's were very over engineered. I see funny things on other models that are just plain poor design, or too difficult to work on. But the fact is a lot of people just dont take care of their bikes, so any old bike is suspect. The best thing about Hondas to me is the parts availability. Look for parts for an ATC 250R vs a tecate for example ..

#10 ·
I love my 300ex

I have had Yamaha's for the last couple of years now (6 Blasters to be exact) and have had trouble with all of them. About 3 months ago, I bought a 1984 ATC 125M for $130, and believe me it was rough. One thing though, it started on one slight pull on the rope EVERY time (the electric start worked too, but I never put a battery in it). After that I vowed the next atv I bought would be a Honda. Well, about a week ago, I traded two Yamaha Blasters for my Blue Beast. My 2003 300EX has Fly bars, +2 A-arms, +4 axle, FMF Power Core 4 exhaust, Works dual rate front shocks w/rezzies, DG Alloy nerfs, DG Alloy grab bar, DG front bumper, Maxxis RAZR's all around, and Maier front race plastics. It is true what they say, Once you go Honda--you never go back!

#11 ·
i ride hondas only, never really rode anything else. i worked on honda engines for a while, they are simple and run good and thats why we always order equipment with honda engines if possible. i have an 07 recon foot shift and uaually pull a machine back about every other time i go ride. when it wears out, just rebuild it and keep ridin. i also love the fact of, it has an actual transmission that i can shift, not some belt driven wacky piece of junk. about the only complaint about it, the front drum brakes but oh well, junk deal with it and down shift.

#16 ·
I have an 87 Fourtrax, also. Except mine is totally changed from stock. Well, half of it anyway. The stuff that matters. ;) New engine parts, rebuild, and re-jetted carb, etc., etc. This is the first year I've owned it and the first year I've ridden it and it's proven to be really nice. I also have a 2003 Honda 250EX Sporttrax, and that bike is un-stoppable. Maybe not the fastest, but that thing has been through hell and back MANY times. Never had one problem with it!

And one more thing. I also have a TT-R 230 Yamaha dirt bike. I love this thing and it's reliable and pretty nice! I will agree, Honda is the best, but my Yamaha is also pretty nice!

#17 ·
thats like my recon, it aint the fastest thing, i never thought it was but i have been more places than bigger ones even 4x4s, theres a sand hill where i ride and its supposed to "the hill to conquer" cause its steep and nothing but loose sand and i sit above it takin a break watchin the boats go by and these hopped up sport quads try to go up it but just spin sometimes and have to back down then i take my lil putt putt recon with mudlites on back and go up it then turn around and go back down it...theres something about the recon/250ex that just make them a great quad for trail ridin and stuff they are about unstopable, anybody else vouch for these little boogers...

#18 ·
If it's not a car, it's gonnabe a Honda......LOL I have a honda(clone) on my 1gocart, my other has the Honda xl75 engine/trans, and my lawnmower is a Honda.....that lawnmower is almost 30yrs old.......oil, filter and plug change every spring, starts up first pull every time! I love em.........

And remember, what's the highest form of flattery? IMITATION!!!!!!! you don't see yamaha clones, or 'zuki clones, or briggs clones.........they are all Honda clones.......and there's hundreds of companies cloning them!!!!!!!! Gee I wonder why?!?!?

#19 ·
yeah there are clones EVERYWHERE!! we get equipment in at work that has "subaru/robin" knock off hondas they look identical almost and even start up the same way, but unlike a honda, they blow up. i will only buy honda fourwheelers and chevy trucks. wouldnt even consider a yami,zuki, kawi or worse, polaris.

#20 · (Edited)
#21 ·
Here are a couple pics of a Rhino knockoff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.