Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a 1999 fourtrax 300fw who makes the wheel bearings for Honda. I'm sure a lot of years are the same bearing. I'm just wondering what brand oem is.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
I usually use SKF, Timken or NTN for any bearing.

I'm not sure what brand OEM are but those three here in the UK are very good indeed. I'm sure a true Honda guru will be along soon and tell you the manufacturer of OEM though.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I usually use SKF, Timken or NTN for any bearing.

I'm not sure what brand OEM are but those three here in the UK are very good indeed. I'm sure a true Honda guru will be along soon and tell you the manufacturer of OEM though.
I know about the big 3 but my problem is I'm told thru my local bearing supplier that they cannot locate a replacement wheel bearing thru NTN or skf that is sealed.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I just found my original wheel bearing that was lying around and it is a NTN DE0678CS12. It was in bad shape but it appears as it was not sealed?

They must have superceded this with a sealed one I would think?

Can anyone charm in who has changed them recently

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
I just installed 2 new OEM bearings. They in fact are not sealed & better than Allball sealed bearings in my opinion!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just installed 2 new OEM bearings. They in fact are not sealed & better than Allball sealed bearings in my opinion!!
No question about being better than all balls... I just can believe honda hasn't superseded these with sealed bearings. NTN and SKF don't make a sealed version either.....

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
most front wheel bearings ( after market anyway ) are sealed bearings.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Pivot works seems to have the best bearings. But whatever bearing you choose, pick the seals out and flush chinese grease out with brake cleaner and pack a good marine wheel bearing grease in there.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Pivot works seems to have the best bearings. But whatever bearing you choose, pick the seals out and flush chinese grease out with brake cleaner and pack a good marine wheel bearing grease in there.

Texas sized 10-4 on that, i think that's one of the biggest problems with the All-balls bearings.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

Texas sized 10-4 on that, i think that's one of the biggest problems with the All-balls bearings.

I'll take a pic next time I put a set in. It's ridiculous the little amount of grease in them. I've had good luck running the all balls after doing this. But pivot works will also replace 1 set free under their "lifetime" warranty if you send them an email. So that makes them worth the little extra

Reactions: mac102004

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No aftermarket bearing is going to be better than OEM, period. Unless you buy the exact NTN bearing from an aftermarket source.....but the OEM bearings aren't cheap either...
That's what i was getting at... pivot works may be better than all balls but no where near as good at NTN.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Just to add, the wheel bearings out of the 300 4x4 knuckles are the same in a rancher 420.
Right, I'm not sure what's different about the bearings for the bigger machines, I think the ID must be the same since guys use the Foreman axles in their 300's to build a lift off of. They must be wider and have a bigger OD?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.