Honda ATV Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well, that didn't work for me...So I can add this to the list of crap that doesn't work right on my rancher. lol
Hmm, that stinks man, I know it works on my 01, that battery was TOAST, and if you let it idle for too long with the headlights on it would die, but pull start back up every time. Little rev and shift in to 1st or R would be like normal. Shifting at speed was never an issue. If I didn't just put a new battery in I'd say I'd try and do it with no battery in there just to see what happens, but it works now so I'm done tinkering for the time being, lol.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have an 09 Rancher 420 and added the pull starter myself. I would suggest that anyone even slightly interested in a pull starter, get it factory installed. I had to remove the motor and turn it sideways to install the pull starter on the back end of the motor. It was quite a project.
Then I never used it for over a year and the one time I needed it I pulled the rope and it was so full of mud and crap it was too hard to pull and when I did get the rope to come out it wouldnt go back in.
Just my experience. Hope others have better luck!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Riccnick,your'e 01 has no electric fuel pump, ecu and injector to draw power.So youre shift system will work just fine because it just needs a momentary surge to shift.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Riccnick,your'e 01 has no electric fuel pump, ecu and injector to draw power.So youre shift system will work just fine because it just needs a momentary surge to shift.
Good point, forgot about that little detail, lol. Though I would hope that Honda made the alt stronger on the FI models to compensate for this... But if there is too much of a draw on from the battery, I guess it could render it useless.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
21 - 29 of 29 Posts