Why?......

·
Registered
665 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Exactly. I was going to buy one before and everyone said they wouldnt work, now I have two people telling me that someone told them it would work. I wont believe either unless I see it with my own eyes. And Im not spending $150 for it to not work

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'd be interested also. I started to order a pull starter for my 2007 420 Rancher but, based on what I read on this site, decided it was a waste of money.

Non Charged Battery = Non-Operable EFI ----------is my current understanding.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right, but it comes with a capacitor.... Or something, Not sure of the technical name, that is supposed to supply voltage to the fuel pump when you pull it, but then I also read that the lights on the dash are enough to drain it

·
Registered
386 Posts
It may work with a dead battery, while it will not work without a battery installed.

So, instead of disconnecting the battery, please leave the lights on until the battery is dead....then video it for "us". :)

We're all just dying to know.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A discharged vs a shorted out battery may have different out comes, the battery in my old brute force 750 shorted out while I was riding it (I dont think it was even a few months old). Left it dead in its tracks, had to walk home and get a spare! I need an unhooked battery!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I'd also be interested if folks with a pull start that haven't used them for a few years would try them to see if they actually work physically. Once I saw how much mud and crap was in the recoil of my Rincon making it NFG I completely lost interest in installing a recoil that I had bought for the 420.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just a thought, why would Honda offer a pull starter for it if it wouldnt work with a dead battery?? I mean they know its fuel injected, they built it... unless they figure people would rather just pull start it instead of using the electric start?? Just my .02 but i'd be interested to see if anyone has one...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have some news. I just got done installing my new heated grips from A'ME. I had to wire the harness for the grips to the battery (obviously) and while I was at it I decided to dissconect the (-) and try pull starting the atv. It started up the first pull. I let it run for about five seconds and shut it off. I tried pull starting it again but it would not start. I connected the (-) and started it with the electric start. I turned it off and removed the (-) cable again and gave the pull starter a yank. It started first pull. Again I shut it off and tried the pull start and it would not start.

So, it seems with a completely removed battery it will start ONCE. There is the possibility that one might be able to pull start it again after running it for more that five seconds, perhaps a few minutes but I really didn't want to let it sit there in the garage and create fumes any more than necessary to find out. I found out what I wanted to know, that the pull start kit will start the machine with NO battery but only ONCE.

This is only a theory, but I think if your battery was dead (not removed) the charging system would recharge almost instantly the relay/condenser/rectifier that comes with the pull start kit. This would enable you to pull start the machine almost indefinitly with a dead battery. Even a dead battery completes a circuit. When the battery is removed (or the NEG cable removed) the charge can't get back to the relay/cond/rect because the circuit is broken.

I don't know about you, but if my battery was dead and I was in the middle of nowhere I think turning the machine OFF would be the last thing I would do after I had just got it started. I would be heading back to the truck and would NOT turn the machine off for any reason. I feel confident it would start again and again with the pull starter but I would check that after I got back to saftey. But I can tell you for sure the machine will start with NO battery but only ONCE!

·
Registered
27 Posts
If anyone wants a .pdf version of the 8 page installation instructions for the Recoil Starter Kit I have them. I tried to add them to my above post but the file is too big. PM me with your email and I'll send them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I thought all hondas come with pull starts as standard?? Or is it a particular model in the us that comes with out one???

I have used the pull start once on my 07 420FM. Battery was dead flat and it started first pull. Love the hondas!!!.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Thanks for that info. Seems like this has been going on for awhile. By the way you will love the grips, the people at AME are great folks, had a problem with 1 grip and they instantly sent out a full set that day. Good co.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for that info. Seems like this has been going on for awhile. By the way you will love the grips, the people at AME are great folks, had a problem with 1 grip and they instantly sent out a full set that day. Good co.
I also had a problem with one of the grips. I emailed them at midnight Friday night after installing them and had a response about ten minutes later. It seems that one of the grips was not programed at the factory. Just by accident I programed it correctly by turning it off at the right number of blinks of the light. The guy told me I had a 50/50 chance of getting it right, it was my lucky day! The guy emailed me back again at about 1:00 am Saturday morning wondering if I got it programed and offered to replace it if I had a problem. I tested them out Saturday and they worked great. I emaied him back and said everything was good except I still have to wear gloves because my thumb got cold. I got an email from him this morning and he says they are coming out with a thumb warmer kit in early February and to keep an eye on the web site. amegrips.com You are right, great company! (Made in USA too!)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had to pull start mine once when the battery died (left the key and lights on). Cranked right up, no problem.....Just couldn't shift out of neutral. Not enough juice to run the shifter motor. So, I would assume it is only good if you lose your starter, but still have a good battery.....or maybe you could let it run for a while and maybe it will charge the battery enough to shift. If you have a bad battery though, you are SOOL.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I had to pull start mine once when the battery died (left the key and lights on). Cranked right up, no problem.....Just couldn't shift out of neutral. Not enough juice to run the shifter motor. So, I would assume it is only good if you lose your starter, but still have a good battery.....or maybe you could let it run for a while and maybe it will charge the battery enough to shift. If you have a bad battery though, you are SOOL.
Just the slightest tip in of the throttle will give it enough to shift. More like a high idle than revving it up. Gotta spool up the alternator to get some volts flowing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just the slightest tip in of the throttle will give it enough to shift. More like a high idle than revving it up. Gotta spool up the alternator to get some volts flowing.
Well, that didn't work for me...So I can add this to the list of crap that doesn't work right on my rancher. lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts