Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I recently bought a recon 250 that runs really good other than it blows white smoke while riding. Do yall have any suggestions on what it could be.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I recently bought a recon 250 that runs really good other than it blows white smoke while riding. Do yall have any suggestions on what it could be.
Smoke itself can be for a variety of reasons. Can you give some additional details regarding the history of this unit, i.e., has it been sunk or maintenance/service or oil types or has it been rebuilt lately? Here is a link to some conversations about smoke, http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums/repair-maintenance/47773-white-smoke-coming-muffler.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive had it for a few days but when i test rode it didn't smoke and i rode it for a while before i bought it. I did get caught up in a down pour trailering it the other day

·
Registered
599 Posts
White smoke means you are burning water. I'm not familiar with your machine, but I assume it is not water cooled, therefore any water that is being burned is residual from condensation or something like that, and will go away after you run the engine for a period of time.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Is it water or air cooled?
If it's thick white smoke is be steering towards oil too, possibly piston rings and/or valve stem seals. If it's water it would usually clear when at running temperature, if it's not clearing then you'd definitely notice water loss in the expansion tank/header tank.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Recons are air cooled.
If you drove through heavy rain with it, I bet you got water in the gas tank.
Do Recons have carbs? If so, water and petrol doesn't mix too well, so I would be surprised if water got all the way from the gas tank, through the carb and into the engine AND the ATV was still otherwise be running fine. I would expect that if it was taking in water before the carb, it would be running rough?

I agree with @alloutdoors that we need more information before forum members can give a firm diagnosis.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Recons are air cooled.
Do Recons have carbs? If so, water and petrol doesn't mix too well, so I would be surprised if water got all the way from the gas tank, through the carb and into the engine AND the ATV was still otherwise be running fine. I would expect that if it was taking in water before the carb, it would be running rough?

I agree with @alloutdoors that we need more information before forum members can give a firm diagnosis.
Water sits at the bottom, petrol floats on the water, the ATV wouldn't run. If it did it would be rough as hell.
From the info we have I'm steering towards a wet exhaust muffler (steam) or valve stem seals, possibly piston rings. No mention of piston 'slap' or a tick/rattle which I would usually expect to hear. The OP could do a compression test though to eliminate the ring theory.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Recons are air cooled.

Water sits at the bottom, petrol floats on the water, the ATV wouldn't run. If it did it would be rough as hell.
From the info we have I'm steering towards a wet exhaust muffler (steam) or valve stem seals, possibly piston rings. No mention of piston 'slap' or a tick/rattle which I would usually expect to hear. The OP could do a compression test though to eliminate the ring theory.
Looking back at the OP's posts, it seems like he test drove it for a while, no smoke. Bought it, brought it home through heavy rain, has only owned it a couple of days, and it is blowing white now. I would drain the fuel, fill it, add some gas dry, and run it, barring any other signs of issue other than the smoke. If he has owned it for a while before this started, I can see the likelihood of a mechanical issue developing. But, with such a short timeline, and possible water being introduced in that short span, that it is the possible culprit.

·
Registered
599 Posts
White smoke means water, and if there are no other problems, I would just keep running it because eventually the water will be gone and the white smoke will go away regardless of where the source of that water is.

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Is there any chance of a photo of the steam/smoke?
Does the steam/smoke smell?
Does it feel damp if you hold your hand in it?
Is it constant or intermittent?
Does it come on all of a sudden like turning on a switch or is it gradual?
Are there any signs of oil loss?

Lots of questions I know, sorry.

As the guys above have already said, try draining your fuel tank and running fresh fuel, also check that your airbox is not full of water.
Drain the float bowl on your carb too, may be a little water in there if your tank has water in.
On another note, you could remove your exhaust and hang it above the BBQ for an hour to dry out thoroughly. If it's soaked through it may take a while to dry out when running your engine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts