Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Like I said, not just me personally, I've had 2 sets myself, 4 other guys have had them I ride with, 6 sets of tires, thats 24 different tires. All JUNK. Guess we just got a bad tire from the batch, two dozen times. I don't know anybody that has had a set without issues.

And it definitely matters if you put 1 or 10,000 miles on them. If they hold the bike up and keep air that's great, but if you've never driven on them then that doesn't tell anybody anything about how good or bad a tire is.

There isn't very much I haven't ridden on, maybe molten lava I guess, that would be something I've never driven on.

I could keep going.....so yeah, not much experience with Mud Lites. Probably more than 6 sets in our group, I noticed a few more looking through old pictures....

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
If you are going to buy Mudlite tires do not by ATs. Get the XL's with some actual tread on top.. My buddy has a set and they have held up pretty good..

·
Super Moderator
36,410 Posts
Like I said, not just me personally, I've had 2 sets myself, 4 other guys have had them I ride with, 6 sets of tires, thats 24 different tires. All JUNK. Guess we just got a bad tire from the batch, two dozen times. I don't know anybody that has had a set without issues.

And it definitely matters if you put 1 or 10,000 miles on them. If they hold the bike up and keep air that's great, but if you've never driven on them then that doesn't tell anybody anything about how good or bad a tire is.

There isn't very much I haven't ridden on, maybe molten lava I guess, that would be something I've never driven on.

I could keep going.....so yeah, not much experience with Mud Lites. Probably more than 6 sets in our group, I noticed a few more looking through old pictures....
all I can say is ?, I've had great luck with them, and I will keep buying them, that is, either when my current ones wear out ?, or I get another project ?..lol.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I'm not liking what i see going on with those mud lites, one of my fronts has rubber peeling off (image soon)

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
The mud lite is a good tire if you don't ride overly aggressive..

They are awsome on snow... very soft... Which is why you see these pictures of them ripped up...

You need to use a bit of common sense when buying tires..

I've seen some pretty good tires get ripped up just like those in Macs pics..

A guy I ride with has an 800 renegade.... Swamp lites were worn right off in 2 month of weekend riding..... The fronts were so bad with this uneven wear from the 4x4 pull...

It took me years to wear the same tire to half on my 2000 350ES...

Its all in how you ride, and how much you like to give it the oignon!

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
...it is really all about location and soil conditions , I have MudLites that are from 2008 , they are needing to be replaced soon from wear , but don't have a peel or cut in them and have never had a plug or patch , maybe a little tire sealant for rim to tire leaks ------- I am beating around what tires to get next for mine , right now it is between another set of Mudilla or Zilas as they are called now or the Mega Mayhems

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
...it is really all about location and soil conditions , I have MudLites that are from 2008 , they are needing to be replaced soon from wear , but don't have a peel or cut in them and have never had a plug or patch , maybe a little tire sealant for rim to tire leaks ------- I am beating around what tires to get next for mine , right now it is between another set of Mudilla or Zilas as they are called now or the Mega Mayhems
Mud Zilla's and Zilla's are completely different tires. The MudZilla is still sold although not as popular as it once was.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
The mud lite is a good tire if you don't ride overly aggressive..

They are awsome on snow... very soft... Which is why you see these pictures of them ripped up...

You need to use a bit of common sense when buying tires..

I've seen some pretty good tires get ripped up just like those in Macs pics..

A guy I ride with has an 800 renegade.... Swamp lites were worn right off in 2 month of weekend riding..... The fronts were so bad with this uneven wear from the 4x4 pull...

It took me years to wear the same tire to half on my 2000 350ES...

Its all in how you ride, and how much you like to give it the oignon!
Nature of the beast.... Thanks! RTR :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
I want to add a question while everyone is looking this way. Here in S Arizona, snow and mud arent much of a problem (hooray). We do have our share of rocky terrain and plants with huge stickers. When I change tire (and I liked billys post on stock tires) I will do to a bold tread and as many ply as I can get. So..........

What is the site preference, Maxxis Coronado or Bighorn? I have seen both sets on machines and prefer the pattern of the Bighorn. An 8 ply Bighorn would do fine. Cheers and Thanks for responding. I have 4 ply Maxxis showroom tires on now.

·
Registered
381 Posts
FWIW, I put a set of OEM size Mudlite ATs on a old 99 foreman 400 a few years ago and they were shot after about a year and a half. I only put about 800 trail miles on them and I couldn't believe how quickly they wore down to nothing. Had to slime both front tires too. Other ITP tires have served me much better but I'd never buy the at's again.

·
Registered
194 Posts
@jameslb I'd sooner run Pitbull Growlers than Bighorns. Tougher tire and better traction. JMO.
I looked up new-to-me Pit Bull Growlers. They jump:devil with tough tread looks! I will say if a person buys the made in USA version instead of PRC, be prepared for an IMF loan. Hey, we gets what we pays for!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Pitbull had a 50% off sale the night Trump got elected, I'm still kicking myself for not buying a set or two lol

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
Mud Zilla's and Zilla's are completely different tires. The MudZilla is still sold although not as popular as it once was.
Zilla should be sued , they copied the thread design and used 1/2 of the name

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Zilla should be sued , they copied the thread design and used 1/2 of the name
They can't sue themselves....they are both made by Maxxis lol

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
were there a couple of mud lite tread design tires out from deferent manufactures, i hear some people say they last good while other say they fall apart too fast (curious)

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
Mac , I thought you were wrong but had to go and find out for myself = Maxxis makes both the Mudzilla and the Zilla , looks to me judging by the price and the tire pattern , it is much like Swamp Lites and Mud Lites , same tire , one more aggressive

Attachments

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
@fishfiles The Swamp Lite and Mud Lite are pretty different in design. But it's kind of like the Meyhem vs. Mega Meyhem, or Mud Lite AT vs. XL or XXL, or Silverback vs. Silverback X-Lite....

The Mudzilla's came first, and were around a long time before the Zilla hit the market. I think it was around 2007-2008 maybe. The Zilla was kind of designed to replace the Mud Bug. Lighter, less agressive more trail friendly version of the MudZilla.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
If your looking for tires I would strongly go with the STI Black Diamond Radial tires. Better handling and load compacity plus no flat spots from sitting. Another advantage is the tread stays on the ground no matter what.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
About this Discussion
39 Replies
11 Participants
jdp
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing