Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm looking for opinions on tires. I been looking at Kenda bear claws, mud zillas and itp mud lite AT. I will probably stay stock size or maybe up to a 25, with these 3 brands I can get them in a 24 or 25 with the 11 inch rear wheel and 12 inch front and which brand measures closets too size. It's for a 08 rancher. Thanks for any info

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
I try not to get into tire threads ?, because everyone likes what they like ?!..lol. sooo..with that said, I run nothing but mudlite AT's, suits my riding style just fine for me. unless Honda changed the sizes from early years on the ranchers ?, most were 25x8x12 on the front, and 25x10x12 on the rear.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really like the itps too, kinda of leaning that way. The stock size for the rancher on the 08 is 24-8-12 in the front and 24-10-11 in the back. Not really sure why they put a 11 on there the only thing I can think of is more rubber for a softer ride

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
I really like the itps too, kinda of leaning that way. The stock size for the rancher on the 08 is 24-8-12 in the front and 24-10-11 in the back. Not really sure why they put a 11 on there the only thing I can think of is more rubber for a softer ride
my service manual that I have only goes to '06, front says 24x8x12, rear says 24x9x11 for fe and fm models ( you did not say what rancher you have ?..lol ) and for te and tm models, it says front 24x8x12, rear 25x11x10. i'll have to look up your year, and see if I can find it for stock sizes :).

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
yep, yours calls for those sizes. I say go with 25x8x12 front, and 25x10x12 for rear, surely it would clear the fenders, it's only 1 inch taller.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
Do you mean go with 25*10*11 for the rear or should I buy two 12 inch rims for the rear to match the front
buy two 12in rims for the rear, to go with the 25x10x12 tires. and use 25x8x12 tires on the front, and I think you will be ok. if you decide to go to a large aggressive tread ?, it may be best to stay stock size all the way around. the mudlite AT's don't have a large,agressive tread ?, that's why I like them, and they won't tear my drive line up !..lol.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Billy5221,

I bought a 2013 Rancher that had brand new Kenda Bear Claws on it.

25x8x12's on the front
25x10x11's on rear

There has been no problems with clearance and they have been excellent tires with great traction. My 2 cents.:grin Good luck! FF

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I'll toss in:) i got my 99 300fwd back OHHHHH about 7 or 8 years ago, i put a set of itp s on it, and they have been trouble free from then till now, n still have tall cleats ( do alot payment riding) but..... I like what I've read from mac fish and wheeler in the pink magenta string :)

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Mud Bugs of course.

If you buy Mud Lite ATV's make sure you get a size bigger than you want and buy about 250 tire plugs to keep with the bike, you'll need them. Then after you've worn out the AT's in about a year buy a set of Mud Bugs. lol

Bear Claw HTR's are nice, rest are junk.

Mudzilla's are a bit agressive compared to the others, unless you mean the Zilla? Not a bad tire, wear faster than the bugs, lighter, not quite as puncture proof.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
I do want to stay around the stock size, I think 25s would be a good fit, thanks everyone for the info
yw :). I just bought 4 new mudlite AT's for my '05 trx500fm just the other day from rocky mountain atv, shipped to my door ( free shipping on orders over 75 bucks ), $ 287. and some change. best price for them that I found ?, 6-ply, great tires, run them on all my atvs.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
Mud Bugs of course.

If you buy Mud Lite ATV's make sure you get a size bigger than you want and buy about 250 tire plugs to keep with the bike, you'll need them. Then after you've worn out the AT's in about a year buy a set of Mud Bugs. lol

Mudzilla's are a bit agressive compared to the others, unless you mean the Zilla? Not a bad tire, wear faster than the bugs, lighter, not quite as puncture proof.
I've never had a flat yet on my mudlite AT's !, not sure why you have ??..lol. still have them on my '89 trx350 all these years..and no flats yet ?..don't tell some one this, because it's not holding water from where I sit..lol. just because YOU got a bad tire ( set ) ?, does not mean they are bad tires.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
@ OP, buy what you want ?, use what you want ?, then decide FOR YOURSELF, WHICH TIRE IS A GOOD TIRE ?, this is the ONLY way you will find out what works best for YOU :).

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Mud Bugs of course.

I've never had a flat yet on my mudlite AT's !, not sure why you have ??..lol. still have them on my '89 trx350 all these years..and no flats yet ?..don't tell some one this, because it's not holding water from where I sit..lol. just because YOU got a bad tire ( set ) ?, does not mean they are bad tires.
Between my riding buddies and myself I guess we've had a total of about 6 bad sets then. AT and XL.

I have 8400 miles on my mud bugs with no plugs in them, how many miles are on your AT again?

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
Mud Bugs of course.

Between my riding buddies and myself I guess we've had a total of about 6 bad sets then. AT and XL.

I have 8400 miles on my mud bugs with no plugs in them, how many miles are on your AT again?
it does not matter if I put 1 mile ?..or ten thousand miles on them mac ?, your telling members a tire is a bad product ?, when this simply is not true ?, again, just because YOU had trouble ?, does not mean the next person will have bad luck with them ?. every tire brand is going to have flaws ?, there is so much that rides on where you ride ?, what you ride on ?, i'll say it again, I have had nothing but great luck with itp mudlite AT's. bottom line : tell them what you use ?, what you like ?, but don't keep putting the mudlites down just because you had trouble with them ?, this is not a fair playing field here, and you know it..lol.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I bought my rancher new and I still have the stock tires on it, I don't put that many miles on. I never had one hole in my tires so I think a 6 ply itp would be a lot better but then maybe I'm just not that hard on tires,

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
I bought my rancher new and I still have the stock tires on it, I don't put that many miles on. I never had one hole in my tires so I think a 6 ply itp would be a lot better but then maybe I'm just not that hard on tires,
yep, a lot depends on where and what, and how you ride your atv ?..lol. 6-ply tires, from what you've told us ?, should last you a very long time. just don't ride them on pavement ?!, no tire will last long when on pavement.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.