Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I am new to this forum (but def. not new to forums in general). I plan to do some searching too, but I figured I would get some fresh opinions. I have a VW Buggy that I am looking to trade for a 4 wheeler. I have 2 offers I am trying to decide on right now.

First offer is a 2006 400ex- Parts include nerfs, nearly new ITP holeshot tires, aftermarket carb (unsure of which one but the only one I found was edlebrock), FMF Powercore 4 exhaust. Everything else is stock. He is also going to give me $600 cash.

Second offer is a 2007 450r-Parts include a balance slip on. Everything else is stock. No cash will be exchanged here.

I am a fairly new rider. This will be my first quad that I own. I have ridden others dirt bikes and quads but I have never owned one myself. The area I live in will mostly keep me in the woods, nothing crazy, mostly precut trails. So my question is which one would be a better deal for me. I am leaning more towards the 400 just because its smaller and has reverse. The only thing I am unsure of is the carb, the owner says that it was a factory add on upgrade but I didn't find any info on this. So what do you guys suggest? I will attach a few pics also.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Well I would definitely take the 400EX the 450R is much faster but for trail riding the 400 is your quad it has reverse the 450 dosen't but with the proper mods you can scream right alog with the 450R stock one of course.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Go with the 400, the 450 can bite you REALLY fast. The 400 will be a much more enjoyable ride. It's gears are longer so you can generally hold 2nd or 3rd gear on trails. A 450 you can do the same but it takes a butt load of clutch work. Like they said, the 400 can be modded to right along with the stock 450.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/1391543858.html

There is my for sale ad for my buggy. Its a fun ride, but I want something thats geared more for offroad that I don't have to keep a tag and insurance on. Thanks for all the replies, keep them coming, like I said from what I read it seemed like the 400 would be a better fit for me, the 450 is just tempting because its newer, bigger and a little bit better value.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
I would keep the buggy, Its COOL!!! I always wanted one, just never had the space to keep it. I would ask for money on both quads if did trade. Wait for a better deal. I see 400ex for sale all the time for 3500 as new as 07 and mods. and 450r for sale for 4500 with mods. NICE looking buggy by the way!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I have about 4k in the buggy, so cash on the 400 should be about even. I tried talking the guy with the 450 to throw in cash but he didn't want to do that. The buggy is fun, but its a bit of a pain to take care of.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
I love Vdubs they are sooo easy to work on I'v always wanted a rail. Hey wait.... I got a 91 18' Donzi. lol nah thats a headache in its self I'm still working on that project. But Like Tom said Ask for cash too. Good luck

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the guy with the 400 came by today and I got to run it around the yard a little bit. It seemed to have plenty of power, in fact I was a little scared to roll into the throttle in first gear because I could feel that it wanted to pop a wheelie. I am a little leary of the bike. I didn't hear any strange noises, I pulled and tugged on the wheels and didn't feel any slop, the plastics have a decent about of scratches. It seemed to shift pretty good, I only got it up into 3rd gear before I ran out of room in my field. It appears to have an FMF slip on he said it had a header, but it looked like the factory one to me, and he says he has all the receipts including one that lists the aftermarket carb he was talking about, the tires looked good and I think they were ITP holeshot GNCC's. What concerns me is that the guy is missing his left hand, and he even told me he only uses the clutch when stopping and starting, any other time he shifts clutchless, mainly because of his hand. It was a little dirty, but not bad. I have some pics below so let me know what you guys think, including the shifting deal, that concerns me the most.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Looks like a nice machine!!

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Scratches are normal, especially on black. As long as he was shifting at the right rpm's it is fine. I rarely use my clutch. You will need a new set of handle bars, those appear to be bent.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Good eye!! I see it now

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
I notice the bars myself, left side of bars appears to be bent down. The headpipe appears to be stock. I ride a 07 400ex and my headpipe looks just like that one. Mine has sratches on it from my boots and leaning. Overall it looks pretty decent. I also rarely use my clutch, If I am on the track. But I dont think its worth as much as your buggy. I would not give over 3000 for the quad.

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow you guys do have some good eyes, I couldnt see it until I looked at the pic I took from the back. I was taking the mods into consideration and was thinking it was worth around 3500 or so, then I figured he was gonna give me 600 cash so that puts it about dead even with what I have in my buggy. I have a little bit of wiggle room factored into the price of my buggy, and around here they usually go for around $3000 around here, if mine were a 4 seater it would be worth much more.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
X2 but I gotta add that's a stock headpipe bro shifting up is ok but downshifting is not too good but if its pulling good chances are you are ok on the clutch.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts