Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 520 DCT IRS EPS
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2021 Rubicon 520. I use Honda GN-4 10w-30 as stated on the manual. GN-4 oil also comes in 10w-40. My friends say to use 10w-40 for summer riding. Is this a good idea? The reason I use 10w-30 is that’s because what the manual says.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our dealer changed the oil on both of ours, brand new machines, before we picked them up, and they put in - Pennzoil 0-30 Platinum Euro Full Synthetic and they have worked well in all temps out here - Plus 30 to minus 40
Both are 2020 Rubicon 520 - DCT-IRS-EPS

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the reply.
I too will eventually go to synthetic oil. For the first few oil changes I’ll just use the Honda GN-4 conventiona.

Our dealer changed the oil on both of ours, brand new machines, before we picked them up, and they put in - Pennzoil 0-30 Platinum Euro Full Synthetic and they have worked well in all temps out here - Plus 30 to minus 40
Both are 2020 Rubicon 520 - DCT-IRS-EPS

·
Registered
2020 520 rubicon foot shift
576 Posts
I put shell rotella 5-40 synthetic in my 520 foot shift, it works fine and is cheap. The footshifts arent fussy oil wise in warm weather but thinner is better in the winter, they wont shift until completely up to temp with thick oil in cold temps.
My brother runs honda GN-4 10-30 in his 520 dct, it shifts good even in the cold. I think of the dct as part car transmission and they need thin consistent oil to shift right.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to put that shell rotella in my 2011 rubicon. I would buy it at Walmart for cheap too.

I don’t ride much in the winter anymore.…as I get older the cold doesn’t agree with me; so summer is when I ride.

I put shell rotella 5-40 synthetic in my 520 foot shift, it works fine and is cheap. The footshifts arent fussy oil wise in warm weather but thinner is better in the winter, they wont shift until completely up to temp with thick oil in cold temps.
My brother runs honda GN-4 10-30 in his 520 dct, it shifts good even in the cold. I think of the dct as part car transmission and they need thin consistent oil to shift right.

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
I’m with @KevGuy Use what the manual says. I use genuine Honda GN4 in my machines. There’s more than cooling to consider on this machine. Honestly it’s not that much more expensive. I’m not gonna fret about $10.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a late 90's Honda sportsman 300 that I purchased from my brother-in-law and just did an oil change. Before the change the engine did not knock and now it does. I am guessing that the prior / old oil that was in there was a few years old as it was quite dark. Any ideas? I changed it with 10w 40 (automotive) and am sure that the levels are correct. Could the oil be the issue since it is automotive?

·
Registered
2020 520 rubicon foot shift
576 Posts
Did you put the filter in the right way?
Lots of guys have put them in 300's backwards and wrecked the motor.
Most every automotive oil that ends in 40 is fine in atv's as it's too thick to be energy conserving no matter the additive package so it doesnt get the moly additive that's not good for the clutch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts