Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody! I just picked up a 2009 trx90 for my son's upgrade. This trx sat for 2 years and I'm preparing a thorough cleaning of the carb and fuel lines. I am considering a new one vs a cleaning, I'm worried, as I'm new to tinkering with carbs, I'm not afraid to mess up or lose pieces, I want a back up plan and have a carb in mind before I jump in. Rockymountainatv has 1 part number that replaces 2 different part numbers. Any thoughts? Any pointers for me before I jump in to a disassembly and cleaning?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way, it really only starts when choke is fully engaged, but only idles when choke is off. Hesitation when I slowly engage the throttle, and dies out when I really hit the throttle.

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
Try cleaning the old one it’s about a 2 on a scale of 1-10.
Get some Berrymans Chemtool and a half gallon plastic tub with lid. Nitrile gloves. Pipe cleaners and cotton swabs.
Follow the instructions in the service manual and don’t throw anything away. Use screwdrivers with good bits some of those screws may be tight.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
I agree ^^^ the carb is really simple. . . just lie everything out on a clean white cloth in case you drop something the cloth will keep it from bouncing into never never land. I do suggest removing the snorkel tube from the air box. Honda's way of saying "I'm restricting you" lol it helps with the throttle response greatly. From what I am understanding, it seems your idle circuit is probably stopped up. remove the fuel mixture screw and clean that orifice really good, be mindful of any small parts and their order that come out with that screw too, it should be a tiny spring and washer? When you install it carefully seat the screw and back it out 2 turns. The initial factory opening is 1 7/8 so 2 will be good. The main jet is an 82 and the slow is a 40 if you do not feel like they can be cleaned? I would also bump the 82 to a 85 Honda builds these machines to be a little leaner from the factory. The float needle is easy to clean just make sure the rubber tip doesn't have any indentations on it and is clean. Take a Q-tip with rubbing alcohol and swab the float needle seat to remove any impurities left by the wonderful ethanol we have at our pumps. If you would like you can pick up a carb kit, its relatively inexpensive so that you would have new O-rings and such. I think it would make things a little easier for you too. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys are very helpful, thanks. Carb came off last night and the chambers all looked clean. I disassembled the major components without removing any needles, jets or adjustment screws. The filter screen was clean. The fiber gasket is really stuck to the manifold cover and carb. How can I clean that up? I will probably invest in the rebuild kit just to do some maintenance while the carb is out. I am a little unsure as to what may be considered wear or damage on a jet or needle. Having a rebuild kit will probably help me learn by looking at a new one vs an old one. Will a gasket scraper get that gasket off? Or soaking it in carb cleaner will help peel it off?

·
Premium Member
3,629 Posts
I recommend you don’t scrape anything with metal or abrasives; use a flattened or splintered piece of the bamboo handle on a swab. That will get into the groove of the seal

yes the carb cleaner will loosen it up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts