Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather than buying new A arms for a lift and spacers to go wider I'm going to make my own, I now have the necessary 'bought' items I need to go ahead with this mod except axles.
Question is, what length axle do I need to buy for(I haven't decided how tall to go yet), let's say a 6" lift? Also, there are quite a few brands available at varied prices, which are a 'good' quality?

I don't want to throw excessive amounts of money at axles but at the same time I don't want to be replacing an axle and paying shipping costs within a few months time.

Any tips and advice is greatly appreciated guys.

Reactions: Macneil

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
For a 6" lift they will have to be custom made, nothing off the shelf will work.

You have 2 options.

1) Call up a place like Gorilla and order 2 custom length axles for a 300 Honda, +6", or whatever you want them to be and build the lift around the axles. You could also sleeve the stock axles and make them longer just to build the lift while your waiting for the Gorilla's,

2) Build the lift to whatever height you want, once complete cut your stock axles in half and measure the distance between the ends. That will tell you how much longer the axles need to be. Then, call up a place like Gorilla and order 2 custom axles for a 300 Honda + whatever length you figured out.

If you just want to go with something like a 4" lift I believe guys are using right side Foreman 450 axles for that.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
that would be my suggestion too, since your MAKING the parts, build the lift and then measure and see HOW long you need them to be, and go from there, NO point in buying axles and then finding out there too short or long?
wait till lift and all parts are done and on , and then measure

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Do the replacement axles work ok at the increased angle ? Anyone just cut and sleeved the original axles on a lift, seems a simple enough job?

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh right ok. I kind of assumed they'd be an off the shelf item over there as you guys have so many ATVs and mod kits etc available to you.
My plan was to buy the shafts and build around the shafts but if I can have the shafts made to suit then that's no biggy really.
I had considered using stock shafts/axles and extending/sleeving them, if it works on a rear axle shaft it's got to work on a front axle I guess.
The only thing I can think would be an issue would be vibration at speed but that wouldn't be a problem as I don't go fast, we have speed limits in place at our off-road parks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts