Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi long time lurker here :devil .

Anyway, i have a 2014 Recon i bought for $1300 that needs some love. Was replacing the back axle bearing and was going to put it back together and found the below seal on the ground, as i was putting the axle back in. I cannot for the life of me figure out where it goes. Looks like in the schematics its double stacked against the diff bearing, but dont look like it would work there. Both of the diff ones are still there and in good shape, i didnt touch those. It also looks like it could also be in the brake or brake drum area somewhere, but i dont see a spot there either. Seal is, OIL SEAL (42X51X7) 91271-HC4-004. Has anyone replaced these and know where they go in the Recon?!! I would like to get this thing back together and going, lol. Also, the total rear end kit i bought came with 3 of them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Number 32 on your schematic are ring gear seals for the rear differential. You'll need to take the swingarm off from the rear diff to access those. Welcome to the forums!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

The seals on the ring gear are still there, never touched the diff. My question is where does that 3rd one go? I stopped by a dealer and talked to a tech and he thought it went somewhere in the brake (couldnt remember), but i dont see any space for it there. Dont look like you can double stack the seal either, as its kinda shown in the schematic. Never heard of that anyway, tech didnt think that was the case either.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bueller, Bueller?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$10 to whoever knows, in the next hour. Throwing it together now, after some pre emptive beers, lol

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
$10 to whoever knows, in the next hour. Throwing it together now, after some pre emptive beers, lol
my money ( or yours..lol ) says its for the backing plate part of the rear brake. 2 are used for the differential, the other is used to seal off any crap from the left side of the differential in an event of gear oil either getting into the brake ?, or, stuff getting into the brake from the far right rear ?.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
just looked your model up, two oil seals go in the rear differential on the rear left side, just like I said. you should have an inner oil seal, and an outer oil seal, the outer oil seal keeps gear oil out of the rear brake.

Reactions: retro

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So does it go on the back of the drum?

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
You can get a copy of the service manual HERE while yer heading for the fridge for another cold one. It'll guide you almost step by step and show you where you might have already screwed up... :)

Have fun!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looked all through that manual, even looked at it with the tech. Could not find that seal. You find it, bonus $5 for you. I believe its on the outside of the diff, seeing i found it on the ground and only pulled the diff. I think you were are on to something with the brake drum. Take a look at my pics below showing the rubbed ring on the axle and where it sits on the drum. What y'all think?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
Looked all through that manual, even looked at it with the tech. Could not find that seal. You find it, bonus $5 for you. I believe its on the outside of the diff, seeing i found it on the ground and only pulled the diff. I think you were are on to something with the brake drum. Take a look at my pics below showing the rubbed ring on the axle and where it sits on the drum. What y'all think?
if that tech was looking at the brake drum section ( which i'm sure he/she did not ? ), they would have seen the oil seal near the brakes backing plate/drum area :). that's 15 bucks to me..right ??..lmfao.

·
Super Moderator
38,518 Posts
I don't want any of your currency... and don't ask me to tell ya what I think. :)

Its right here like I said earlier:

Don't share any of this with your so called tech... :)
welllllllllll..i'm broke...I could use the 15 bucks !..lmfaoooooooooooooo.

Reactions: retro

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
I think hes got more money than... nevermind.... OP, please send $25 to my friend shadetree. Thanks!
:)

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Info is hard to find in service manuals so don't sweat it.... Thanks for being a sport and letting us have a little fun. And let us know how it goes or if you have any more questions...? I'll lay off the next time. Promise!

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
I don't know , I am not a Rincon guy , but when I punch in 2014 Rincon I come up with a print that is totally different than the one you posted on the first post , what's up with that !

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Hes got a '14 Recon 250 I assume, since the print he showed earlier was for a Recon rearend? Finding double seals in there just ain't fair... but Honda did it anyways. :-(

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
my bad , I looked back and seen the " e " , I was think R"i"ncon , what is a Rincon anyways , isn't Rubicon a river or a female leprechaunthat is related to Shacka-con ? Recon is a mission ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dont worry, i got a thick skull, not a lot of money, lol. I was just sick of staring at this seal trying to figure out where the hell it came from, lol.

I saw that page, but thought it would have went: Seal : Bearing : Seal . Not Bearing : Seal : Seal .

Definitely just a shade tree mechanic as well, but I'm still trying to figure out the point of that? Why not just use a thicker seal? Is it to let stuff down that weep hole that may sit between them? Not sure where that hole will be, once i cram that seal in there.

Anyway, so seeing the rubber rub mark on my axle, can i assume that that seal worked its way out from around that ring gear and onto the axle? Which would be the reason i found it on the floor after pulling the axle? Bearings in my swing-arm were gone, so maybe the vibration helped work it out?
I worry about pushing that seal in there and covering that weep or vent, dont know where that hole leads, cant remember seeing a vent tub there. Unless it wraps back up inside the case to one of the top vents. I'll have to go back and take a closer look. Maybe it leads to the water drain?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 56 Posts