Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to anything with a clutch. I just bought a 98 300ex that had a broke clutch cable. I replaced it and there is no return on the handle after I sqeeze it. Its almost like it needs a spring to help the lever return. I am not sure if I am missing something or the clutch is screwed up. Any help would be great

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
The spring on the clutch lever shaft, inside the clutch cover, might be broke or loose.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried rerouting the cable thinking it had to much drag. There is a little tension on the clutch lever at the motor just not enough to pull the lever back. Do I need any special tools to pull cover or do I pull the bolts and the cover comes off. I have a clymer on the way, but if its an easy fix or I have to order parts I as soon to get a jump on it. Thanks for the quick reply

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
You won't need any special tools. If you've never removed and replaced the clutch cover before, the hardest part will be getting the reverse lockout shaft back in place right. It's not hard, it's just a matter of knowing how it goes.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man I am a idiot. I pulled the cover to check the spring. Then it hit me. I was not up against the clutch . I had it all the way out where there was nothing but slack. I tightened it up until there was no slack then backed it up so there was about 3/4 freeplay. doh!

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I started to ask if you had it adjusted up right. Well, at least, you figured out the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts