Honda ATV Forum banner

What's the attraction to mud ?

3K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  _Wilson_ 
#1 ·
ok...figure I'll be cranking up the flames here..but it really is a question in earnest.

even the cheaper, old bikes had long been way down on my list of things to spend money on...as badly as I wanted an ATV through the years, it was hard to make it a priority.

Finally allowing myself a well worn, used machine (course then I was hooked and one wasn't enough)..but to the point.. I see guys spend some serious $ on shiney new plastic, and then more $ on mods to make them a mudding beast..and then rush out to the nearest hole and bury the bikes up to the headlights..spinning and slinging for hours.

yes, my machines are utility primarily, but also see light trail ride enjoyment and I appreciate when it's rainy season and I come across some nasty thick mud in my way, that I am able to cross through it..but I'm not looking to double back, and spend an hour spinning around in it to the point where I have to get out and slosh through it with the winch cable.

to each his own..and I will admit I have turned the engine off, sat back on the hill and watched the show more than once as other riders bury their pride n joys. I get it to a point..but I'd much rather just ride the thing and be grateful for it's ability to navigate a foot of water in a creek, or some muddy areas on a trail.

I guess part of my bringing this up is to try and better appreciate/understand the urge as I am about to tell some of my family that my bike is no longer to be a mudder rig..it's not really modified for the abuse and I'm not looking to have it in the shop, when I know that the use I ask it to do will let the bike last for many more years... I want my rigs to be available and fun for the whole family, but I will be restricting the abuse of my old 300 from now on...the cheap chinese quads (2 of them)..the boys basically own them now..it's their to maintain..but my remaining first love...is gonna see cleaner days in the last years.

if I'm being overprotective..ya'll educate me... might be my 26 yr old honda is just fine and happy spinning slightly larger/more aggressive treads through foot deep mud..and I'm just being an old fart. (grin)

Ed

See less See more
#2 ·
i'm with you Ed, I just dont see the need to fix a good atv, spend countless hours and money on them, then turn right around and burry them in mud and lakes ?!..nope..not worth it to me. my numbers in age has gone up, and my numbers in dollars has gone down in the years..lol.

#4 ·
Been there done that! Built my Brute Force up with a BBK, lift, everything including the kitchen sink. Buried it, towed out, broke lots of stuff! Invested 20k sold it for 6k. I love that my Honda is totally capable of getting thru anything I encounter, but prefer to just trail ride! I built it to handle what ever I come across, but will always look for a way around now!! I’m getting older & have lost the appeal. Don’t get me wrong I like yourself LOVE sitting on sidelines watching them go at er & watch Ostacruiser on YouTube all the time! (He actually only lives around 4-5hrs away!)

#5 ·
For me, there is no attraction to it. I always look for a way around. And since I need to coordinate help to work on and maintain my atv's, I also avoid it cause mud exponentially increases the need for that.

For others like fishfiles, they just love it and have a blast with it.

And for others, it's just a matter of necessity and they live in a region that requires you to go through it to get from point A to point B. I have a relative who's hunting camp has a section on a 4 mile trip that has no way around a crazy 200 yd mud pit. I'm just glad I don't hunt in an area that requires extreme mudding.

#7 ·
I see guys spend some serious $ on shiney new plastic, and then more $ on mods to make them a mudding beast . . . then rush out to the nearest hole and bury the bikes up to the headlights . . . spinning and slinging for hours.

Yes, my machines are utility primarily, but also see light trail ride enjoyment . . . to each his own . . . but I'd much rather just ride the thing and be grateful for it's ability to navigate a foot of water in a creek, or some muddy areas on a trail.

If I'm being overprotective, ya'll educate me . . . might be my 26 yr old Honda is just fine and happy spinning slightly larger/more aggressive treads through foot deep mud . . .

Ed
Agree with you Ed . . . why bury your machine in the mudhole when you can ride around it and see that herd of elk, or what's over the next hill . . .
But, as you mention, "to each his own" . . . emphasis on the word 'own'
:smile

#8 ·
well I see things maybe in a different view than most,a s I see HOW you use a atv, as just a personal hobby deal,
lets face it, we al waste money on things we DON"T need or have to to get by, or most of us sure do
so like with any hobby, you get into it and then the hobby starts to grow as your budget allows, you strat to try and see what and where you can go, and test what you BUILT, against either your own self, or against buddy's and so on.
I personally think there are phases we all go thru as we age
when young and dumb, we TEST things more and we do so with (well most of us that ain't born into $$) we start with lower priced things and TRY and make them better pinching corners and saving and then HAVING FUN, to what we THINK at the time is money well spent on FUN
then as MOST of us age, we go down one of two roads
we either start to have extra money to waste and stay with the toys and they just get bigger or more costly
OR we grow out of breaking stuff and wasting money we don;t have to waste on toys, and try and get our money to go farther
hobbies start to change too or they DON"T again!
I know I can never throw stones at the mud and water guys, as I was once young and dumb and wasted a ton of money on toys to play in the mud(raced bog trucks and jeeps and even played with a monster truck for a while traveling all over the USA to waste money and break stuff LOL)
but I grew out of it I guess, or just the budget stopped having that extra money to waste on things,
I do think most folks again like to test themselves and machine , as kids and some again either stay with doing so, or grow out of it
Budget I think is HUGE determination factor as is what all your buddy's(AKA bad influences) have on you too!
and your skills at building / making things, the more creative you like to BUILD things, the longer you toy IMO!
so, I also say to each there own, enjoy what you like only go around once!

#9 ·
I fly with Peter Pan while jamming to Dep Leppard and never want to grow up and it is better to burn out than fade away --- like the Johova Witness lady that stopped by enlightened me with , she said " I see you must really like to ride 4 wheelers , you have so many , can I ask how old are you ? How many more weekends can you do what you like to do before you can't do it any more ? "

#10 ·
--- like the Jehovah Witness lady that stopped by enlightened me with, she said "I see you must really like to ride 4 wheelers, you have so many, can I ask how old are you ? How many more weekends can you do what you like to do before you can't do it any more ? "
When the J-W's come knocking, we often have a pleasant chat . . . .
Did casually mention to them that "if my Rottweiler bites you, you'll probably need a blood transfusion . . .

As mentioned, we're all different, use our toys for different purposes, and enjoy yourself . . . . ride safe!

#12 ·
HAHA< Mac I was waiting for you to tell us, how you ride mud as you HAVE to LOL
as I am sure with a lot of tundra and like terrain , mud isn't a option to go around some times !

and ALSO< you do know not everyone rides atv's for a CHALLENGE LOL

some of us, HAHA, like to go for a nice easy SLOW ride to relax too!
older farts maybe like me I guess do that anymore
as getting stuck is far from fun for me anymore, too many things hurt and don't work like they used to,
and I also tend to ride alone too, so turns into more work than fun real fast!
challenges are not why I ride anymore, but sure do see others sowing there pats still and enjoy watching them do it!
way more fun for me to watch others get stuck and wreck things anymore than me doing them! and cheaper too LOL

#13 ·
Well, mud can be pretty hard to avoid here off the main trails, but we do have tons of old railbeds converted into nice trails too. I can appreciate a good casual trail ride, but it seems to me like most guys here that do that just drive on their bike to the nearest coffee shop and stand around in the parking lot talking for an hour. I'd just as soon hop in my truck if that's all I was going to do.

But that's the upside of the Can-am, it's setup for mud but it can do trails just as easily. I've found in the past when you setup a Honda for serious mud they become miserable on the trails. Just my observation.

#14 ·
mud is all some folks have.
like riding motorcycles where i live if you wait til it’s not rainy or windy you’ll never ride.

Myself, i used to four wheel powerline trails and lived thru my share if hard stucks and breaks. These days i try to stay on the high side of the mud hole lol.

#16 ·
For me it is a game and it is a sport , and it is about the equipment , using something you built makes it much more satisfying --- also for me it is not about just hitting the holes blind or going thru water , it is remembering where the bad spots are , watching the bike ahead of you, when possibly cause many are chicken chit followers , 90% of the time they want me to go first , cause they don't pay attention , and it is a game of inches , if it were easy with no dangers or challenges I doubt it would be fun

#18 ·
lol. don't get me wrong on this topic fish, if folks like you want to head off into the unknown ?, HAVE AT IT !, to each their own is correct on this. shoot, the way I see it, its folks like this that bring me money for fixing their machines !..lol. myself ?, i'd rather fix my own toys once..and be able to ride instead of working on it after every ride, I dont have extra cash to be tossing away after going into stuff that you and others see fun..lol. again..TO EACH THIER OWN :).

Reactions: misterclean59
#19 ·
Lol...I love this post :p
Yea its to each their own really. I have done some mud back when i was young & on a 3 wheeler which is a lot lighter than any 4 wheeler let alone a current 4x4 one. Now it comes down to break downs & $$$, plus someone being there to tow you out. Black mud, like on hydro lines are killer... no bottom :O

#20 ·
@ mrbb VERY WELL SAID!! Post #8

#21 · (Edited)
one thing I'd like to say here also, that if folks DIDN"T ride mud and mod the crap out of things, I doubt tech would be where its at worth the options we have today on ATv's and parts and , just amount of models we have now, due to there are so many different ways folks like to ride atv's

but the extreme riders that go deep and ride things hard, are the guys that are testing products for OEM's without knowing or getting paid,
as these guys are the guys that seem to come up with better parts, mods, and after some time, the oem's start to offer better designed models for ALL , with improved parts.
as if it was not for these heavy mod and extreme riders, we might all be stuck with low hp super slow, ride like a dump truck atv's LOL

these guys are spending there own MONEY testing products for the big company's that end up making money off there work and designs , and advancing the atv's being made
, just look at how many makers now sell MUD machines from the factory, with lifts/big tires and a warranty,
offer better shocks, , lockers, relocated radiators, and such
if it wasn't for the guys riding mud and breaking things all the time, there wouldn't be this stuff from OEM's IMO!

so, I say, have at it guys, beat on, as your actually making better atv's for the rest of us from the factory!
and don't forget tires here too!
tires came a long way since the ATC era! IMO!
so anyone that bashes the mud extreme riders, is only wasting words that end up biting themselves in the butt and slowing down advancing technology for ALL atv's/UTV"S !

#22 ·
I am thankful for all of the progress that has been made with ATV technology, and I'm sure glad that I didn't have to go through ANY of the heart ache and work to make that progress happen for the designers and engineers. I just don't have the time in my busy existence to be fixing stuff all the time. Yep, I'm old. And tired. And honestly am glad for all of you that like to go rip up the mud holes and like to fix stuff. I'm tired enough at the end of a work week that I don't need anything else to add to my week. I just look forward to the opportunities to get to ride and see new trails and share old ones with new riders. I do like to see videos and hear stories from more aggressive energetic riders than myself. So keep it up guys cuz it is great entertainment for me, I frankly don't have the guts to even try some of that stuff, let alone the extra $$$$ to fix something if it breaks. Enjoy your selves guys. FF.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.