Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for suggestions for cleaning my 4x body. Lots of grime and oil stains, so I anticipate soap and water won't get me where I want to go.

White rubbing compound is a possibility; however, I have never used it on plastic. I don't want to create more scratches than I already have.

I would bet that someone on here has already solved this question. If so, please share.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
you can use dish soap like Dawn, it will remove oils and such
Purple Power cleaner(can be had at wally world) works well, just rinse good afterwards, or will leave a white residue behind.

but honestly, all I ever really needed to do was use car was soap and a sponge and good to go

if you clean and wax first before getting dirty, it cleans off easier

but been a few yrs since I washed my atv' really well, and hasn't seen polish in about 10+ yrs or more LOL
its a tool to me, I keep it clean but not super clean as it gets used and park more than anything
and I don't really ride in mud , unless I HAVE to

I am BIG on however, painting if I start to see any paint off, so I can clean sand and paint before rust starts
do a good once over inspection on that 2-3 times a yr
but as time goes by, I think we all care less about pretty and just want it to work when we need it LOL

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Any soap with an enzime. Old fashion Tide has it. Let it soak then wash. Then you see the millions of scratches. I am lazy so I just spray Armor All liberally and let it dry out some. Then I wipe with a blue paper towel. It hides scratches very well. A rotary buffer with polishing compound is best but too much work for me cause I'm just gonna scratch it up again.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
3600 PSI has always worked for me. It's not a show piece it's a tool and they get dirty.

Reactions: misterclean59

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
3600 PSI has always worked for me. It's not a show piece it's a tool and they get dirty.
Yep, that'll do it.

Notice the 66 2a in your sig. Don't mention 2a's to sam at the moment, he's pretty wound up about ours over here.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
A petrol soaked cloth for heavy oil stains works for me, have a soapy cloth or sponge to hand to wipe before it drys ;-) Other than than, use TFR and the jet wash lol.

Yeah, land rovers are a touchy subject today for me! (Palm face)

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Once you get the unit clean, apply a thin layer of baby oil all under the unit and you will be amazed how easy it is to remove mud next time, a common trick used in sprint cars. After the plastic is clean, spray a thin layer of SC1 and you will be amazed how slick the unit will appear, Maxima SC1 High Gloss Clear Coat 12oz. Spray 3 Pack SC-1 | eBay
According to the blurb they give it's just silicon spray. Save some money and go to an upholsterers suppliers, we buy it for about £2 a can (2.5$?)

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Once you get the unit clean, apply a thin layer of baby oil all under the unit and you will be amazed how easy it is to remove mud next time, a common trick used in sprint cars. After the plastic is clean, spray a thin layer of SC1 and you will be amazed how slick the unit will appear, Maxima SC1 High Gloss Clear Coat 12oz. Spray 3 Pack SC-1 | eBay
According to the blurb they give it's just silicon spray. Save some money and go to an upholsterers suppliers, we buy it for about £2 a can (2.5$?)
This is correct, always give my ATV plastics a good coating of whatever is cheapest at the time, usually bumper shine, dash shine or silicone spray. All does the same job, works wonders.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
A petrol soaked cloth for heavy oil stains works for me, have a soapy cloth or sponge to hand to wipe before it drys ;-) Other than than, use TFR and the jet wash lol.

Well let's hear it shoot me a PM. I'm not overly happy with mine right yet either but that's because it's all in pieces. I've got the itch now though.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts

Well let's hear it shoot me a PM. I'm not overly happy with mine right yet either but that's because it's all in pieces. I've got the itch now though.
Sam will pm you, but the short version is lent a totally rebuilt (chassis up) 2a to family and it's come back wrecked. It will cost ££££ to replace original parts that are now missing and repair damage.

It has to be done though. I had my first LR at 17, I'm 64 this year and not been without one for more than a few months.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.