Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What all shocks will innerchange? I looking to upgrade my 300ex to a better front end. I know the 400ex shocks will work but since I have to do a little modding are there a better shocks to use like the 250r or the 450r? I really dont want to go aftermarket to keep the cost down. Any suggestions? What are the lenghts of the shocks?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured I would have to do some fab work.I didnt know if the eyelets would be the same though. I guess 450r shocks are the way to go then? How do you set them up, they have the gas valves then right?

·
Registered
48 Posts
None of those shock will just intercahnge without a shock relocation kit.
I would check out Diamond J Customs | Quad-Rodding Systems & Suspension Kits
THey will have the shock relocation kit you need.
I would also recommend 450R shocks.
If you don't want the thing to pogo badly I recommend strongly you pay more and get the JB Racing Relocator to use with 400ex/450r shocks on 400ex arms.

Alternatively you can use Banshee shocks with 400EX arms on your 300ex with no relocator. You will probably need to adjust the bushing width.

·
Registered
48 Posts
To use longer shocks you need wider arms and in some cases a taller mount.

Just bolting longer shocks on stock 300EX arms accomplishes nothing. The ride will actually be worse. Honda sport quad suspension has amazing geometry. We don't wanna screw that up with our upgrades.

If you bolt on 400EX arms, you need longer Banshee shocks. 400EX/450R shocks will still be too long.
If you bolt on 400EX arms AND a taller shock relocator you will need 400EX or 450R shocks.

When using 400EX arms use 400EX tie rods. You can thread them into the existing 300EX tie rod ends.
Do not use the 400EX spindles. Retain the 300EX spindles.

Banshee & 400EX shocks will offer similar ride quality to stock 300EX shocks with MORE travel when used with 400EX arms. 450R shocks will sit a little lower and be a bit stiffer as they are a more aggressive shock.

While both Diamond J and JB Racing shock relocators raise the upper shock mount for the longer 400EX or 450R shocks... the JB Racing system keeps the angle of the shocks closer to the intended design. Diamond J positions the top of the shocks out wider putting the shocks in a more vertical position giving the shocks and springs more leverage on the suspension. This gives the suspension a more pogo like affect.

Diamond J also makes a-arms widening kits for stock 300EX arms that when used with their locator does allow better shock geometry. How ever this will widen the front end by 4 to 6 inches (user adjustable). It also creates bump steer. Not what I would recommend for aggressive trail riding or racing. Would make a nice flat cornering ATV for more casual riding or utility use.

The 400EX A-Arms add about 2.75" to 3" to the width of the front end matching the rear end well. Additional bump steer is not created.

Both Diamond J and JB Racing have their applications. These views are simply my opinions. Worth what you paid for them ! :icon_cool:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was some great info. I have the 400ex arms up front and need new shocks. I plan on making the shock mount myself. I was wondering about the shocks because I did not want to change the shock location on the a-arm so I am looking for something with about the right lower eyelet.. I do alot of trail and field riding and with the shocks now it almost shakes you off. I want something that is gonna be a little softer to take up the slack.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts