Honda ATV Forum banner

What now?

7K views 150 replies 12 participants last post by  JohnnySolo 
#1 ·
https://youtu.be/TQ-QXCPCjBo

I know y'all hate double posting but my last thread was old and after updating y'all on it. 24hrs later no response and I know y'all would've responded already. I think y'all didn't see it.

Anyway, after replacing jets and cleaning carb really well, get new battery and new solenoid. The Recon is doing better just not idling. If you listen closely you can hear exhaust but I should've put phone where you could hear it better besides just starter.

So what y'all got in mind for me? Btw my last Thread is named Beyond Upset

#5 ·
Start with the fuel tank, clean it thoroughly, replace fuel line and add an inline filter. Next step is to clean the carb again. It’s a real pain in the butt, I’ve been where you are not somlong back, when these guys say clean they mean surgically clean, brain surgery clean... Absolutely spotless. I cleaned my tank and carb 7 times before it came right, keep going, you’ll get there in the end.
Also, I believe fuel mixture should be around 2 1/2 turns out on the pilot.

Reactions: retro
#6 ·
Yeah I put it 2 1/2. Dang another purchase that sucks. Good thing is those are cheap, the filter. I looked into it a while back, like 5 bucks. Considering the thing I mainly did when I took apart the quad was cleaning fuel tank AND putting new fuel line on. Can I get away with just doing a thorough cleaning? Way I did it last time was run water in it for lile 15 minutes then put some dish soap in it and ran water for like 20 minutes, then put 10 screws (new/clean) in it and shook it around like I had bees on me. And then repeated the rinse and let it sit out for few days. Oh and the petcock, I soaked it and cleaned it. Put new fuel line on and reassembled.

With that work if I do it again and buy a fuel filter?

#8 ·
I don’t know that you need a fuel filter, it a good idea but the problem you have it ain’t running right yet.

You say it’s running ok but not idling?
I clean my carburetors with cotton swabs, pipe cleaners and dental cleaning brushes. There are a lot of little passages on a carb that compressed air won’t clean. Ever run a mudded up truck thru the car wash? Swamp stain won’t come off right? Same with carb stain. Here’s two pics of the same carb I did for fun

Post up a pic of your carb if you can

What’s that rattling sound in your vid? The starter? Please don’t run it more than 10 seconds. And then let it cool down.

I do not put bolts and screws in my gas tank to clean it. For my metal tanks I’ve used vinegar and BBs; for plastic tanks I used a longer handled bottle brush I got from a hardware store that sells brewery supplies.

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
One new thing. There are a couple other features on your carb (04 250FMA?); an air cut valve for one.

Are you reading the manual? Get into the manual to set up your carb and use the troubleshooting guide to diagnose the Symptoms.

For all You know it’s not idling because of something you haven’t thot about yet.

Attachments

#11 ·
The rattling is all the tools i got on the ole quad. Lots of tools not put up lol and bad video quality. I tried her again and we let off the start and it idled for few seconds https://youtu.be/gZK9dMf2TtY
When I drained float bowl last few times taking carb off. Sometime there is no fuel in it and sometimes like this past time, like 4 drops drip. I think it may be clogged fuel line or petcock bad maybe? But don't be alarmed by the rattling. I let my starter rest and the rattling is from all the tools and bad audio I'm almost positive, bc when i hooked jumper cables to starter while back it didn't rattle. Also my fuel line doesn't follow the groove it's supposed to be in 100% it is lil long, could the little hill it makes be problem? When I get home in like 2 hrs I will try to take pics of fuel line and carb.

What cleaner y'all think I should soak it in and what all do I keep out and not soak? Prefer a household chemical. I'm broke lol

#12 ·
I don’t soak my carbs anymore cuz some of the ones I’ve done have rubber mounts on the linkage.

Ok Berrymans Chemtool is my favorite—from KMart. It has MEK, methanol and some other hazmats that will fo sho kill your skin and brain cells. Use ventilation, nitrile gloves, and cotton swab/pipe cleaners and plumbers acid brushes. I’ve use dental flossers too. Try to stick with materials that won’t scratch your nozzles and jets

I have used toothpaste and brushes to shine pieces but always wash every bit off.

#14 ·
There you have it JohnnySolo... clean your carb thoroughly. If it doesn't work after you get done, clean it again... and again... until you get it clean. As soon as it is clean the bike will be fixed. There are a gazillion how-tos scattered around the 'net. Basically you'll need to read and follow the service manual to be successful. Completely disassemble the carb. Use a chemical bath for cleaning (thats the simplest method). Use compressed air to blow out all passages after the chemical bathing and verify that all passages are clear. Reassemble per the manual & adjust all cables.

#16 ·
I have had good luck with taking carbs to any powersports place and have it sonicleaned. They put it in an ultrasonic machine with special solution. Alot like when you get rings or necklases cleaned at that store we all spend way to much money at lol. I know i personally have cleaned 1 carb over 10 times before i finally dislodged something in a passage somewhere. My .02

#17 ·
Wow I had no clue cleaning carb can be done 9 times and still no run.
Thanks for the kind offer Retro I may take you up on that offer some time. For now this is my project, gotta learn some how am I right? Lol

Okay I'm going to google some things I can soak it in since y'all got nothing but some chemicals I don't have. I will also clean carb with carb cleaner, brushes, cotton swaps, everything y'all said. And especially the manual.

Oh and Imma clean fuel tank and fuel line out as well.

Let me know if y'all got any other advice! Much appreciated

#25 ·
You mentioned being broke and if you need assistance to send that carb to retro then PM me.

If you go forward cleaning, I would consider a couple other items to address as well.

I would find some good/quality solution and soak the carb for a couple days and during the meantime, I would completely clean the entire fuel and air system. Chances are the lines need replaced, because the machine is older than when ethanol came out and you could have problem fuel lines. Also, the pictures suggest the unit is dirty and gives me pause on air quality, so I would give it a good cleaning as well while the carb is soaking.

#19 · (Edited)
Yeah that's a tad long. Check the choke situation it should be on when you start it till it warms up before it will idle on its own. use the idle screw to idle it up a little if needed Make sure your getting good fuel flow out of the petcock.
Blow air through all the vent lines of the carb and make none of that mud is blocking air vents.

#22 ·
After briefly reading whatbhas been posted I honestly think you need to soak your carb again. Is there any white corrosion on the alloy? Any furred (white/discoloured bits) they need to be alloy coloured (cleaned) you need to be able to eat your dinner out of the carb!
Definitely add a fuel filter and definitely clean the tank as well as you have the carb.

A good tip to clean the tank... Do you guys have truck body underseal spray guns over there? The tube that goes into the underseal can sucks air/liquid, put a tube/pipe on it and suck the crud out of your tank. If it’s metal use a magnet attached to a string or taped to a stick to get rid of the metallic crud.

The fuel system has to be crystal clear, like I said earlier on, it’s a real pain in the butt, once it’s done though you’ll be ecstatic! It will feel like a new ATV.

Keep cleaning buddy, you WILL get there eventually I promise.

Reactions: misterclean59
#23 ·
I mean I never soaked it in first place. Just scrubbed and cleaned. I read online that boiling 50/50 water to lemon juice is good for treating carbs. I also have a buddy with a sandblaster so I may hit him up. I do remember one of the tubes that jet goes it was green at some parts. That called tarnished I think? I know that's not great, now. Figured it wasn't that bad of a thing at the time.
And idk if we got that tool Sam I'm sure we do somewhere but not around here haha

#27 ·
[/QUOTE] It's Spring Break for me so I got something to do. If I don't have it cleaned and ready by Friday (when I leave to go on trip) I will hit u up.
Yeah it's pretty dirty. I'll take care of all that[/QUOTE]

I'm a native of Louisiana and grew up in the Honey Island Swamp area. Enjoy Spring Break and what school are you attending down there?

#29 ·
It's Spring Break for me so I got something to do. If I don't have it cleaned and ready by Friday (when I leave to go on trip) I will hit u up.
Yeah it's pretty dirty. I'll take care of all that[/QUOTE]

I'm a native of Louisiana and grew up in the Honey Island Swamp area. Enjoy Spring Break and what school are you attending down there?[/QUOTE]

West Ouachita High School

Home of yeeyee bois, ******** and one of best AG programs in state.

#28 ·
No sandblasting it will damage the carb.

I recommend against soaking it in acidic solution because vinegar or lemon juice will damage rubber and lead to corrosion. However short periods or using it in your wash water should be ok.

You can try washing it with warm water, dishwashing liquid and a toothbrush; maybe some vinegar or lemon juice. Dry with a hair dryer but not too hot.

Toothbrush and toothpaste is like a mild chrome cleaner.

You’ll see an improvement. You won’t get it completely clean the first try but your hands will look great.

#30 ·
Sounds good. No sand blasting. I was going to take off all rubber lol. Soak rubber stuff in some dish soap and water. Carb in lemon juice and water. About to go take tank and carb off. While it's all soaking and cleaning I'll be cleaning the inside to be sure there's clean air going in.

#32 ·
I'm not telling you what to do... but please remain mindful that answering personal questions in public forums can lead to personal tragedy real quick. These forums can be read by anyone on the planet (or off), without having to become a member.

#35 ·
Aye got exactly 1 quart.
Great, you can use that Pine-Sol to clean your carb.

BTW what's a three-way?
In my experience, whenever a 3rd party becomes involved (or wedges in as an intermediary) in personal favors, conditions tend to sour real quick. I'm sorry, but I must turn my back and walk away whenever that might happen. I hope you understand.

I just realized that I may be taken a bit more literal than I intended, so when you disassemble your carb leave the butterfly choke valve and shaft in the carb body. Those two butterfly screws are staked and do not need to be messed with.

Also note that I didn't intend to call out or accuse another member here of anything. Please do not turn this into any silly dramas or I'll walk away. Lets get back on subject and get down to cleaning your carb. Read section 5 of the service manual a few times then we can get started. Fair enough?

#37 ·
What did I miss?? :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.