Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it bad to run 87 gas instead of 93 in a 400ex? What kind of damage could it do? i accidently put 87 in it, should i drain the tank?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
is it bad to run 87 gas instead of 93 in a 400ex? What kind of damage could it do? i accidently put 87 in it, should i drain the tank?
It shouldn't hurt it at all. I have run 87 in everything that I have ever owned. I wouldn't drain the tank. Just run it out and then fill it back up with 93.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yeah, it's a pretty easy, one man job.

·
Registered
209 Posts
you should have a little slack in it ...not to much or youll keep popping it but dont put it to tight or youll snap it

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yeah, remember when you sit down on it, the weight will make it tighter.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Ok, so basically when i check the slack it should only move about 1 1/4 to 1 5/8 inches?
Yeah, at the upper run of the chain.(topside). And that's with no one sitting on the 4-wheeler.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok thanks. ran into a little problem, the guy that ordered my chain said the stock chain was 92 link, so thats what he ordered. i took the chain off and counted the links and its 96, so my question is would a 92 link fit? the 96 was streched or too loose one. my 400ex is a 2002.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Ok thanks. ran into a little problem, the guy that ordered my chain said the stock chain was 92 link, so thats what he ordered. i took the chain off and counted the links and its 96, so my question is would a 92 link fit? the 96 was streched or too loose one. my 400ex is a 2002.

Keep in mind, that if the front or rear sprockets have been changed to a different size, then the stock chain probably isn't going to fit without adding or removing links, depending on whether they went up in size on the sprockets or down in size.

I doubt that the 92 link is going to fit, but you could buy some extra links and use master links to connect it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I checked the sprockets and they are stock size 15 tooth front and 38 tooth rear. Idk what to do i havent opened the 92 link chain to check if it would fit because i dont know if the shop will take it back opened. could i just add a couple of links from my old chain to the new one to make it fit?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I checked the sprockets and they are stock size 15 tooth front and 38 tooth rear. Idk what to do i havent opened the 92 link chain to check if it would fit because i dont know if the shop will take it back opened. could i just add a couple of links from my old chain to the new one to make it fit?
If you still have the stock sprockets, the 92 link might fit, but my repair manual calls for a 94 link chain. But yes, if it isn't long enough just add links until it does fit.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I run only 93 just for the little better throttle snap it has.

·
Super Moderator
18,228 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts