Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rare 1987 Honda 250SX ATC that I am getting ready to let go of. This trike is in great shape with all original plastics with no cracks. There is a spiderwebbing which is to be expected with original plastics. There is a small scuff on the rear fender, but again, no crack. The seat cover and grips are NOS and it has new tires. Very low hours. Garage kept. Any suggestions on a ball park figure of today's value?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a rare 1987 Honda 250SX ATC that I am getting ready to let go of. This trike is in great shape with all original plastics with no cracks. There is a spiderwebbing which is to be expected with original plastics. There is a small scuff on the rear fender, but again, no crack. The seat cover and grips are NOS and it has new tires. Very low hours. Garage kept. Any suggestions on a ball park figure of today's value?
Depends on where you are. Here in Newfoundland that's a $2500 trike, there's places in the US where you'd be doing good if you got a thousand for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Actually it's only worth about $500 or less. if they are asking any more than that it is a bad deal.:r_c: but in most states it is illegal to drive it so DONT GET AN ATC GET A 1990's 300EX

·
Registered
4 Posts
oops. I thought you were going to buy one. If you have one SELL IT BEFORE YOU GET CAUGHT USING IT YOU MAY GET IT IMPOUNDED!

·
Registered
142 Posts
oops. I thought you were going to buy one. If you have one SELL IT BEFORE YOU GET CAUGHT USING IT YOU MAY GET IT IMPOUNDED!
No they are not illegal in any state, don't spew misinformation. He won't get it impounded or get any fines unless he's riding somewhere he shouldn't be or without the proper paperwork. If he wants to ride it or sell it then he's perfectly within his rights to do so.

There was a ban on production, not use. I've driven one and intend to buy one in the future, they're even more fun that a four wheeler in my opinion, but they're not as safe and require more skill to drive fast, so lots of riding areas have bans on them because of the potential safety concerns.

There were a lot of lawsuits against the Big 3 manufacturers in the 80's because they were "dangerous" but in reality, it was mainly unskilled, underage and alchohol/substance abusing people not wearing helmets and the like that were having accidents.

·
Registered
142 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I just sold an 85 250sx last month for $500 but it was a bit beat up. They are a really nice trike. Decent power with e-start and reverse.

Rob

·
Registered
4 Posts
No they are not illegal in any state, don't spew misinformation. He won't get it impounded or get any fines unless he's riding somewhere he shouldn't be or without the proper paperwork. If he wants to ride it or sell it then he's perfectly within his rights to do so.

There was a ban on production, not use. I've driven one and intend to buy one in the future, they're even more fun that a four wheeler in my opinion, but they're not as safe and require more skill to drive fast, so lots of riding areas have bans on them because of the potential safety concerns.

There were a lot of lawsuits against the Big 3 manufacturers in the 80's because they were "dangerous" but in reality, it was mainly unskilled, underage and alchohol/substance abusing people not wearing helmets and the like that were having accidents.
Well, think of it as another Reliant Robin but worse because in the case of a rollover, you are not going to survive very easily. it's not something you crash and laugh about. it's something that's gonna end you up on the ground near dead.:icon_ ban::r_c:

·
Registered
124 Posts
How much experience have you had riding this machine. The ATC250SX is a fine machine. You are more likely to walk away from a roll over on this trike than you are if you rolled one of the heavier quads. As MillstOne stated, three wheelers DO require more skill to ride than quads and like ANY other machine are perfectly fine as long as you ride within your means. I have a quad and a trike and have never had issues with either. Educate yourself before posting false claims.

·
Registered
142 Posts
How much experience have you had riding this machine. The ATC250SX is a fine machine. You are more likely to walk away from a roll over on this trike than you are if you rolled one of the heavier quads. As MillstOne stated, three wheelers DO require more skill to ride than quads and like ANY other machine are perfectly fine as long as you ride within your means. I have a quad and a trike and have never had issues with either. Educate yourself before posting false claims.
Preach brother

·
Registered
124 Posts
Amen brother Millst0ne! Too funny. And heck yes Dr. Feelgood, they are tons of fun. That is why I STILL have my 85 ATC250R that I bought brand new back in 1985. Yes, I am old.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Yea it was only a 10 year ban on new sales from 87-97 from the Reagan era. After that they just plain didnt make them anymore as the bulk of sales were US. You cant 'legally' bring one into Canada either according to customs.
Like i am sure has been said in one way or another, just do a search in your state/province of what they are going for. If you cant find any, put whatever you want on it. They are like 2 strokes...everybody thinks they want one until they get one. Then you either love them or hate them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1987 also and I wouldn't sell it for less than 2k. Mine is a 1987 and its a clean survivor. Being an 87' and the last production year has got to make it more desirable.. you would think??
20200125_135817.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts