Honda ATV Forum banner

Favourite hobbie than atving

• Total voters
181 - 199 of 199 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
The first gen Broncos were awesome there is a guy here in Lacombe that refurbishes them , nothing but first gens , they are beautiful , I know another guy that has 3 first gens in his yard that all need work , the best one he wants $4,000 for it I have been trying to beat him down and he won't let go ------- my buddy has one that is full blown , I don't have any pics of it , it has 44 inch tires and will burn rubber on the black top , he cut the top and turned it into a 1/2 cab , the radiator , cooler and batteries are in the rear , it has a 400 Cleveland that is tricked out -----------

mine didn't have a 302 , it came with a 351 Windsor , automatic transmission , never did the magazine as the truck was gone by the time they came around , it took a couple of years after I sent them a letter before they came around ------

water injection , back in the day if I didn't run Premium gasoline I would get the pre-ignition ping , another term I believe they used was denotation , the water injection was originally developed by the Japanese for their Zero's ( WWII airplane ) , when the Zero went into a dive they would ping , the valves would get hot and ignite the fuel before the valve was closed ------ the way it worked was there was a pump and a water supply bottle and a tube going into the air cleaner with a atomizer nozzle aimed right down the throat of the carb , when you pushed the throttle to 3/4 the water would spray a fine mist , it would cool the fuel air mix and the ping wouldn't happen , it was hard on fuel , 32 gallon tank , 750 Holley and 10 mpg on the highway , but gas was cheap back then

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
So..... The pic i posted is a 1st gen ? Pardon my ignorance, i don't all that much about fords wow! Sounds like a beast, oh! Now i understand about water.injection, fish what the deference between the 351 Windsor and 351 Cleveland ? I've ask a friend who s ford person, but he couldn't advise me.....I'm guessing on this one, is one a big block and the other a small block ?

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
yes , the 302 and 351 Windsor are small blocks , the 351 W had bigger heads and manifold , the 351 Cleveland is a big block , their is also a 351 M big block the M is for Modified , it is based of the Cleveland , the 400 is a 351 big block with larger heads

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
the first gen Broncos were the best , they were built like a Jeep , more for off roading , the second gen was like 78-79 still a good mud truck , the body style changed in 80 and they were more a soccer mom SUV that were 4x4 with independent suspension in the front , straight axle makes a better 4 wheeler to me , I am old school

I also had a 1979 Ford Super Cab F250 4x4 that came with a 1 ton suspension , straight front axle with leaf springs under it , it had a 400 , 4 speed , and was a mule , a little heavy but bad to the bone ,

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
ATC4ever , I'd guess a 65 Impala , that had a vinyl top at one time , from what looks like a chrome trim at the bottom of the roof , came with either a 327 or 427 ---my Dad had a 65 SS Impala 427 and won't give it to me , cause he said I was going to kill myself , he sold it to my cousin and he hit a Public Service bus right in the side at high speed , almost killed himself and got like 10 tickets for racing and hitting the bus

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
the first gen Broncos were the best , they were built like a Jeep , more for off roading , the second gen was like 78-79 still a good mud truck , the body style changed in 80 and they were more a soccer mom SUV that were 4x4 with independent suspension in the front , straight axle makes a better 4 wheeler to me , I am old school

I also had a 1979 Ford Super Cab F250 4x4 that came with a 1 ton suspension , straight front axle with leaf springs under it , it had a 400 , 4 speed , and was a mule , a little heavy but bad to the bone ,
Oh i agree! Straight fronts are WAY better than ifs (old school here to) that 78 sure does sound bad azz! i have a friend who has a 68 ford 4x4 4 speed camper specail, has clutch packs in the rear end, 390 engine holly carb, the only draw back is those old drum brakes, I've tryed to talk him out of, but he won't budge! Here's a sim pic, his is olive drab green, those old trucks were great! The front knuckles had (constant velocity joints) instead of u-joints

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
those were nice looking truck , the 72 Ford was a favorite of mine -------

I was into 4x4 trucks for many years , we had the ultimate place to ride , Catahula Creek in Mississippi , it is the head waters of the Jordan River between Kiln and Picayune , white sand beaches and crystal clear water for miles with smaller creeks running off to the sides , with pipelines and trails all over the place , was out there every weekend camping out , it was common to see a hundred trucks and atv's on the weekends ----they shut it down and made it into hunting leases ------------it was really stupid the final straw that shut the place down , we were camping out on a holiday weekend when fire crackers were around , 4th of July of Memorial Day or one of them holidays , there was a guy who we had never seen before down from us with a group of people on atv's , he had some kind of high powered explosive and he blow his hand completely off his arm , dude we ran over there and I freaked out , so they tied his arm off and wrapped it with a tee shirt , I had a brick phone at the time and called the sheriff , they said for us to bring him to a highway , so my buddy loaded him into his truck and I lead the way to Picayune which was a long way thru the creek , where the ambulance and sheriff were waiting , the sheriff gave us a hard time about what he was doing , I was like I don't even know who this dude is , we are just helping him out , next weekend every access point into the creek was cabled off with oxygen bottles buried in the ground with a lockable hatch cut into the cylinder and the cable inside where no one could get to it and posted sign for miles

I had a bad boy Toyota , at one point I realized that weight played a factor in how well you did in the mud , so I went lite ,started with a Ford Ranger , the mid size one 4x4 v6 , it was a pretty truck ,the color was amber glow , it was ok but watching the Toyotas I wanted one I had a Toyota jacked up 12 inches with 38's and it really went thru the mud , but it was so tight inside the truck and uncomfortable a ride that I didn't like it , went back to full size ------ I would like to get another 4x4 , the only thing I would want is a first gen Bronco , 1976 would be my choice

after being into trucks , atv's are a cheap thrill , cheap as money wise , you can sink a fortune in a truck

·
Registered
151 Posts
Man that question got me thinking, What hobbies do you enjoy other than atving? I keep busy all the time since I retired two years ago, mostly just keep moving and trying to get use to being a civilian. Just trying to stay ahead of it all I guess is my hobby.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Back when muscle cars (& parts) were cheap to buy... I had a 66 Chevelle, 79 Monza Spider with a 350 4 speed, also an 82 T/A, about it for those type of cars. The Chevelle i put a 454 in it & a Borg Warner T-10 4 speed. Fun car! May have had $3000 into it & it would do 120mph in 3rd lol...but it was far from mint. This was just a few years ago...um, when i was 20 :dry::icon_ rofl:

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I enjoy collecting and operating my model trains, riding my motor scooter, my custom antique Wheel Horse garden tractor and sometimes my RC cars. My trains are my obsession and a coping tool for the challenges I face each day living with autism. Same with nice long rides in the country on my 250cc motor scooter. Mike the Aspie

·
Registered
232 Posts
I love hunting, fishing, boating, cutting grass, drinking beer, etc..

I also really enjoy working on cars/truck which works out nicely because there are plenty people that what things done but dont want to pay shop or dealership prices so its a nice way to add money to my play stash. I find that i do alot more suspension work than i used to. Anything from lowering kit, leveling kits and lift kits. Where before i was do more performance modifications like installing or upgrading supercharges, shift kits, etc

Basically anything that involves working with my hands and bring outside.

Wayne

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
I am a hobbi-holic , I would guess my main hobby is refurbing things , this weekend I picked up a project , seen a sign while going to Home Depot , moving sale , picked up a few air tools cheap , and seen a Craftsman 6.5 hp 17 inch rear tine tiller in great condition , there was a work estimate ticket on the handle for $330 , it said new throttle cable , new carb , new fuel hose , spark plug , air filter , clean tank , and labor , the guy didn't get the work done but did have to pay $60 for them to tell him that , I asked how much and he said $50 , I looked in my wallet and seen 2 twenties and a hundred dollar bill and offered him $40 and he took it

Yesterday evening I soaked and cleaned the carb , cleaned the plastic tank with Zep degreaser , took off the throttle cable , blew out the air cleaner , had a new plug for it , hooked it up to the IV bottle of fuel and it fired right up , ordered a new cable for the throttle off e-bay , I looked on line and this is a $650 tiller in it's day , don't really know the year , the new model is different now -----what are the plans for it ?? don't have the time for a garden , will most likely flip it , thinking $300 would be a fair price ,

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you think ATVs are expensive to work on, you should try airplanes... also wilderness canoeing, skiing and prospecting...

181 - 199 of 199 Posts