Honda ATV Forum banner

1481 - 1500 of 1510 Posts

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Yet! No one complains ... I wouldn't worry about it.... There s a substantial mental disorder with most of us haha! Especially when it comes to staying on topic......

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
When I asked him about using it he said "I don't know where the controls are, and you need the exercise. Use the wedges and sledge."
I thought i recalled that in Some other string. And i agree with his thought on exercise.

It's odd this came up, i called Dennis today to discuss... Haying.... In short... He informed me, HE had the widow maker 3 weeks ago, they brought him back twice! and ended up having a stent, and he's still going strong! He also told me his cardio doctor... Had told him the past splitting wood (old school) IS, excellent exercise) << food for thought ?

He's a weird cat. Has a lot of cool stuff though, and most of it hasn't ever been used.
I can't figure this out... Why have that big ol shop full of nice machinery, AND never use it ? Lol. From how you've described your pops.... Yeah he seems like a cool guy! Maybe he thinks you need the whip cracked on ya....lol, but! Ya gotta play with big boy toys!

Now kind of back on topic....took the lot lizard ..... N went checked on a load of big chunk wood (green maple) a neighbor gave me. It's a good score! ... I may have to give this one up, due to trucking grain, and haying...i noticed this weeping seal, mine don't see axle deep slop, least NOT till this repair .... Besides she's tight, no roar no fillings, just bleeding abit .....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
When I asked him about using it he said "I don't know where the controls are, and you need the exercise. Use the wedges and sledge."
I thought i recalled that in Some other string. And i agree with his thought on exercise.

It's odd this came up, i called Dennis today to discuss... Haying.... In short... He informed me, HE had the widow maker 3 weeks ago, they brought him back twice! and ended up having a stent, and he's still going strong! He also told me his cardio doctor... Had told him the past splitting wood (old school) IS, excellent exercise) << food for thought ?

He's a weird cat. Has a lot of cool stuff though, and most of it hasn't ever been used.
I can't figure this out... Why have that big ol shop full of nice machinery, AND never use it ? Lol. From how you've described your pops.... Yeah he seems like a cool guy! Maybe he thinks you need the whip cracked on ya....lol, but! Ya gotta play with big boy toys!

Now kind of back on topic....took the lot lizard ..... N went checked on a load of big chunk wood (green maple) a neighbor gave me. It's a good score! ... I may have to give this one up, due to trucking grain, and haying...i noticed this weeping seal, mine don't see axle deep slop, least NOT till this repair .... Besides she's tight, no roar no fillings, just bleeding abit .....
Is it overfilled? If not, spin those nuts off, pry the seal out, tap a new seal in.

And I do my work in the yard. My shed turned into a storage shed. I've started to do a shop clean out, but with the new baby coming in late July-early August it's hard to get time to work outside much. I work 8-5, so between that, wife, kids, and trying to finish up inside the house not much time for my stuff.

Dad doesn't use his stuff, but it's also very difficult to get him to let me use the stuff. I can spend 30 minutes telling him why I need his 372XP, and then it will take him half a day to dig it out, check it over, explain to me how to use it, etc etc. I learned long ago it's easier just to make do with what I have. He has two Old Town canoes that have never touched the water, a late 80's Mercury 5 horse that probably doesn't have 10 hours on it, an 85 Jeep with 5K miles on it, and a whole lot of tools that have never been used. I guess there is some reasoning to him being how he is. Had he let me use that stuff when I was younger I would likely have ruined/destroyed a lot of it. I've gotten more patient and careful as I've gotten older, and he's better about letting me use his stuff, but it's still a major PITA to get anything out of him when I need it.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
...my Dad is gone , but some what like you explained Jeep , just a little different , if he had something you could use , it was no problem using it , you just had to listen to how to do the job while using it and Lord help you if you didn't do it his way ---- I wouldn't ask to borrow anything cause I didn't want to hear it

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
Yep.... My pop is just like that ^^^ i still hear about driving our semi grain trucks ... Why do you NOT use the clutch when shifting (after take off) lol! My dumb answer .... ( passengers are seen NOT heard... (Him) Hush and drive BOY!

Hey jeep... Thanks! The oil level is just right. Just need to order/replace the new seal, i may go ahead and give it a good diesel flush ?

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
LED light bar arrived yesterday...going on the Blue..have one just like it on my golf cart that I really like.

I don't intentionally ride ATV at night, but I sometimes find myself working back in the woods and dark-thirty can come quicker than I want some evenings...the old headlights are usually plenty fine.. I still prefer the light generated by that type of bulb over LED, but when you really want some last minute bright work light..man a big flood/spot combo bar can really buy you that last half hour of work time..
not sure where I want to mount it though..have looked at a lot of pics of other rigs...I don't want it casting a shadow from the front rack if I mount it up at the steering column and most days I've got a basket strapped on that rack anyway...behind the front lip of the rack would keep it safer, but again, the basket snugs/straps right up against that rack lip..so it'll likely just mount on the rack in front.. I like to keep it high as possible...not down in the winch area..the one on my golf cart is mounted up on the roof line and I love that it gives me a totally different persepective than when you crank on down near the road...anyway...this is at least a "what have you done to your ATV lately" post (grin)

or at least it will be after the weekend...and no, I'm not gonna add it into the factory light switch...I've got a handlbar mount rocker switch that I'll wire up just for the bar.

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
I saw this on someone else's bike and copied it. I liked how the factory bar protects the lightbar and it doesn't take up room on the front rack.

Attachments

·
Registered
756 Posts
Last fall i tried to remove the spark plug to check it, ended up breaking the cap a bit, so i got it back together & ran it since. Today, i finished it off & actually got the plug out. Turns out that happens a lot with Rincons, maybe someone can pipe up & clarify that... so a new cap (& plug) is around $70! Guess i will be greasing it & maybe taping a string to the new one so i can get it out easier next time! :O

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
Last fall i tried to remove the spark plug to check it, ended up breaking the cap a bit, so i got it back together & ran it since. Today, i finished it off & actually got the plug out. Turns out that happens a lot with Rincons, maybe someone can pipe up & clarify that... so a new cap (& plug) is around $70! Guess i will be greasing it & maybe taping a string to the new one so i can get it out easier next time! :O
NGK makes one that's cheap and works great.

https://www.rinconriders.com/53-electrical/14634-ngk-boot.html

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
My Rincon riding buddy has had me looking for a 300 for him for a few weeks. His aunt has a little Kawasaki KFX90 that her grandkids have outgrown, and he wanted it for his kids. She asked him to find her a little bigger one and they'd trade out (she knows he rides, and she didn't know what to look for).

I, of course, have projects, but slow going on those, so nothing that would be ready anytime soon.

I've found 3-4 over the last month. Either rough, priced high, or too far away. He went so far as to drive about an hour over into North Mississippi to get one, and the seller ghosted him and wouldn't answer texts or phone calls AFTER he drove all the way over there.

So yesterday this one popped up locally for sale. Pictures looked horrible in the ad, but I kinda knew the seller so I told my buddy to go look at it. Came home to find it in my yard yesterday afternoon. Runs good, no noises, no smoke. He wants me to see if I can fix the brakes since kids will be riding it, so I'll have to dig into it when I get time:unsure:

Was really surprised at how clean it was. Needs a left front fender flare, already has floorboards on it, and even has a cooling fan. Rear end was just gone through too. He got it for $1200 which to me is a fair price for a decent 300 that doesn't need much work. 93, which IIRC was a transition year between Gen1 and Gen2, right? Anyhow, this one looks like it had the split Gen2 frame. Tank was spotless on the inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
I changed over to Mobil 1 10w-40 full synthetic. Checked my air filter looked for anything out of the ordinary. Washed and waxed it out it back under the carport with a cover on it. I have almost 3000 miles on mine. I ride entirely to much it’s addictive.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
So yesterday this one popped up locally for sale. Pictures looked horrible in the ad, but I kinda knew the seller so I told my buddy to go look at it. Came home to find it in my yard yesterday afternoon. Runs good, no noises, no smoke. He wants me to see if I can fix the brakes since kids will be riding it, so I'll have to dig into it when I get time:unsure:

Was really surprised at how clean it was. Needs a left front fender flare, already has floorboards on it, and even has a cooling fan. Rear end was just gone through too. He got it for $1200 which to me is a fair price for a decent 300 that doesn't need much work. 93, which IIRC was a transition year between Gen1 and Gen2, right? Anyhow, this one looks like it had the split Gen2 frame. Tank was spotless on the inside.
Sweet!!! If oil light doesn’t come on suspect the FCU

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts

Sweet!!! If oil light doesn’t come on suspect the FCU
I'm confused? This one starts and runs like a top. Only thing wrong with it appears to be a lack of brakes.

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
Think I got a line on some 29.5 Outlaws this weekend.

A friend of mine has some 26x10x12 Outlaws he ran for about a year, then took off. Said they were too rough, and he really liked my Mudbugs so he put the Outlaws on his old 300 and put 27" Bugs on his Rubicon.

Then his kid started riding the 300 and tearing up the yard, so I gave him an old set of 420 stocks in good shape and he put those on the 300, and the Outlaws went in his shop. Was up there this weekend and he told me to grab them.

Saw a local ad, guy had a set of 29.5x10x12 Outlaws that wouldn't fit his rig, so he wanted smaller. I sent him pics of the 26's and we're going to trade out.

I have another 300 to build, this one will have a 54% and and stretch, along with the other upgrades I did on my daughter's 97.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
I ride entirely to much it’s addictive.
Nailed it ^^^^^^^^ lol! Sadly...... I've not touched mine in a week or so... Looked at the 97 300 aka lot lizard... This morning to confirm it had a fan seperate fan control unit (gathering information for a fella member) wait till work pulls you away from the addiction. You end up just a TAB bit crazier.

Been living in a cab tractor haying (making $$$$)

·
Registered
10 Posts
About to start putting my top end back together after a rebuild on my 08 Honda rancher 420 and I ordered a new cylinder because the old one was toast and I was cleaning the new one that I ordered because it was kind of oily and I let the water dry after I cleaning it and now I have dark gray water droplets and streaks in there will this cause issues?

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Drove the electric rancher half the day Friday checking fence and drainages. Stopped for a break and turned off engine while in 4; Then it wouldn’t go into N!! Limped it back to the garage using the emergency shift lever.

Checked on it this morning—no problem—started right up and shifted great. SMH

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
Got the 29.5's Wednesday night. Guy bought them for a Suzuki Vinson and said they wouldn't fit. Traded him the 26's that have been sitting in my buddy's shop for a couple of years. Nothing like free monster tires.

These things look HUGE compared to the rest of my tires. Will be a while before I get a machine together that will turn them.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yesterday I drained the oil, and took out the oil filter. And looked over how to do the valve check. Then found the dealer gave me the wrong oil filters.

So today I rode (motorcycle) 50 miles each way to the dealer to exchange them.

I'll finish today, and now I know what the filter looks like I'll know in the future if they try to give me the wrong one.
dc

·
Registered
38 Posts
About to start putting my top end back together after a rebuild on my 08 Honda rancher 420 and I ordered a new cylinder because the old one was toast and I was cleaning the new one that I ordered because it was kind of oily and I let the water dry after I cleaning it and now I have dark gray water droplets and streaks in there will this cause issues?

I will say no, it will just burn off, not enough material to matter. I would let it go but then I wouldn't wash parts with water, unless they were water running parts.

However there may well be others here with other opinions.

Well, see.
dc

1481 - 1500 of 1510 Posts