Honda ATV Forum banner

1461 - 1480 of 1510 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,366 Posts
I got to use my Takeuchi excavator today and knocked down a dump truck load of dirt that was on my neighbors land , she said for 20 + years , there were trees growing out of it , her husband who was a good friend of mine was a dump truck guy and he never did spread it , it makes my view nicer and was glad to help her out

Attachments

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
thanks for the PM link Wilson...

my brush cutter blade on the Echo has done amazing work...and a lot of it..time for a change out... so might be fun to try a disc like this.. I've been surprised by how well the limb cutter with 8" mini chain saw works on overhead limbs on my smaller weed wacker..so I can only imagine how a rotary like this would eat through sapplings..and save me having to bend down with the big chain saw to cut.

my trail work is basically just taking a walk every few weeks in summer to just cut back the fast growing privet and other stuff..occassional overhead limbs..so the brush cutter is fine for that...but for those couple times a year when I want to open up an area..yeah...I can see this as an option.

thanks again...now back to our regularly scheduled "what did you do to your ATV" programming..sorry to derail...

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
I need a brushcutter. I have to take loppers and trim overhanging branches back from the seat on my tractor while I'm bush hogging. Works but is tedious and gets old real fast.

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
Yesterday I actually used my Hondas instead of working on them.

Last time we rode, the water was up, and I ended up rolling my 06 over in some backwater. I had a trail that we could have used to avoid the backwater, but a big tree had fallen over the trail, and it was a narrow trail going up a steel hill so no way to use it without removing the tree. I tried to go through the backwater, ended up upside down.

Water is still up, so I decided to go out and clear the path.

Took my 06 Foreman and my 346XP, which is small for the job, but didn't want to try to pry the old man's 372 from him, so just figured I'd make do.

Didn't get a half mile from the house before I came to a big tree down across the path. This one must have fallen in the last 2-3 weeks. I made one cut, and when I went to make my second cut the the whole tree shifted and pinched my bar. Crap. Fought with it for a few minutes, hooked my winch to it but it was too big to move. Was able to budge it by snatching it (yes, I know, dumb) and broke my winch cable.

Ran back to the house, got a cant hook and switched over to the 05 Rubicon I picked up a while back. This was going to be a "fix and flip" but I have to admit the thing has grown on me. The Hondamatic has awesome engine braking on hills, and the power transfer is seamless. I think I might try to get the wife on this one and maybe keep it and sell her 420AT. This one has a 5K winch on it with heavier cable.

Anyhow, got back out there and got the saw out, cut the section up a little and moved the logs with the cant hook, moved along.

Found another dang tree down. This one was a little smaller, but it too shifted on me when I was cutting from the bottom up, and took me a bit to get the saw unhung. Got that one cut and moved, and finally made it to the tree I set out to cut. At this point I'm hot, tired, and getting eaten alive by buffalo gnats and skeeters (sweated off all the Deet).

I get up to the tree, and not only is it bigger than I remember, but fell where the trunk is on a hill, and partially attached to the stump which left where I needed to cut at about chest level. I tentatively get set and start making a cut and dang ants go everywhere. Big red ones.

I decide that this is a good time to quit for the day.

Didn't end up getting the tree moved that I set out to move, but I did a WHOLE lot of work getting to that point on the trail and knew that running a saw when you're worn out is how you get hurt.

I'll go back out, cut those longs into shorter sections, and split them out in the woods sometime this winter. Don't really need the wood but hate to let it sit there and rot.

As for that last tree, I think I will get the 372 for it. The way it's positioned isn't going to make it easy to cut down both sides, trying to match cuts. Will have to plead with the old man to get it out for me.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
feel for ya on the bar pinch thing..careful as I am sometimes...even with props, split wedges, hatchet as a wedge etc...creative cutting n all, sometimes I'll have one surprise me and some part of it is dead and just gives way to the more solid tree section and you find yourself with hundreds of lbs of tree bearing down on your saw.

I also carry a big 4ft pry bar with me these days to help persuade a lazy tree to move a bit.
like you, when my trails were blocked last month..my only other option would have been to crawl down into the creek bed...and woulda had to run a long ways before I got to a place where the walls weren't so high and I might could get back up out of it...my creek bed also has a lot of soft sand..you sink too deep into it...so chain saw is a must-do job here.
sorry you splashed your ATV

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
feel for ya on the bar pinch thing..careful as I am sometimes...even with props, split wedges, hatchet as a wedge etc...creative cutting n all, sometimes I'll have one surprise me and some part of it is dead and just gives way to the more solid tree section and you find yourself with hundreds of lbs of tree bearing down on your saw.

I also carry a big 4ft pry bar with me these days to help persuade a lazy tree to move a bit.
like you, when my trails were blocked last month..my only other option would have been to crawl down into the creek bed...and woulda had to run a long ways before I got to a place where the walls weren't so high and I might could get back up out of it...my creek bed also has a lot of soft sand..you sink too deep into it...so chain saw is a must-do job here.
sorry you splashed your ATV
Yeah clearing trails is definitely a time when a SxS would be nice. Have a bed to haul all the necessary stuff with you.

Sunk bike got towed to a trailer, loaded up, then flushed several times. Not the "right" way to do it, but I have an extra motor in the shop so at the first sign of smoke I'll swap motors and go through this one.

·
Premium Member
12,366 Posts
there were some lumber jack tools at the flea market this weekend past , he had a pair of tongs for pinching the tree and pulling it , and a tree roller tool , it has a wooden handle and a steel hook on the end so you can hook and roll the logs over and a few other things---- I have friends with UTVs and the trails here are narrow , I have been saying I am going to open them up , but I think it is best to leave them like it is , it would be a lot of work and just more tearing up the trails

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
I went to make my second cut the the whole tree shifted and pinched my bar.
Next time (on sawing up big twisted blow down) Take your splitting wedges and maul, I've had good luck un pinches ... SPRING loaded blow downs ARE SO much fun ha! .... i'd much rather tangle with those fire ants lol....

·
Premium Member
12,366 Posts
Looking to cut some branches hanging down and want to cut them above head level so I don't knock off my hat while passing by on the zero swing , think this would be the right saw for the job ----lol I think that is the longest one I have seen

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
Yep, if it's in good shape.

They really come in handy moving logs around when you're cutting. Especially when you get into big billets of wood. I had to cut this monster up, roll the billets clear so I could flip them flat to split them into chunks small enough for me to move. A lot of them took me and Dad both, each with a cant hook. They're normally $50-75 each for new ones.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
I went to make my second cut the the whole tree shifted and pinched my bar.
Next time (on sawing up big twisted blow down) Take your splitting wedges and maul, I've had good luck un pinches ... SPRING loaded blow downs ARE SO much fun ha! .... i'd much rather tangle with those fire ants lol....
Exacty.. I carry mauls and a hatchet to keep the tree from collapsing into a pinch..do the wedge cuts up on top and take out chunks, etc...takes me longer, but has saved my butt on blade pinch many times. Even then, like you guys have said..if you have one that's in a twist and is just waiting to turn and settle..or like one of the big monsters 2 weeks back..it was so rotten in one section that it just crumpled on me on one part, allowing the rest of the tree to shift over..had I not had a maul in place (and even then it was a bit of a bite), I woulda been stuck big time.

I"m too old to "wrastle" these big beasts...cutting a chunk out, pry bar to roll em out of the way, etc.
and on occassion, hook the winch cable up and give em a tug...that's probably the only time I'd miss the much larger ATV..my lil 300 is impressive for a small bike but if i had a big machine out here i know I'd be tempted to cut less and pull more.:grin

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Looking to cut some branches hanging down and want to cut them above head level so I don't knock off my hat while passing by on the zero swing , think this would be the right saw for the job ----lol I think that is the longest one I have seen
Haha! NOW THAT'S A BEAST!! Have any idea what cc power plant it has ? I'm thinking plus 80 cc ??

now back to our regularly scheduled "what did you do to your ATV" programming..sorry to derail...
We're still on the left side of the road here...lol

·
Premium Member
12,366 Posts
I don't know Wilson , I bet a chain for that thing would cost a bundle ------I had some freaky tree thing happened this morning , will have to tell the story later , I got to use a chain saw and it is 50 ft from the port hole , Hell it might be a Portal

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
A lot of them took me and Dad both, each with a cant hook
Ya, those are sure enough! Some Good size chunks. , I'm surprised your pops doesn't have some type of powered wood splitter hidden away...??

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
A lot of them took me and Dad both, each with a cant hook
Ya, those are sure enough! Some Good size chunks. , I'm surprised your pops doesn't have some type of powered wood splitter hidden away...??
Oh he does. He has a splitter on a 3 point hitch for the tractor. Problem is he bought it back in the 80's, stuck the box with all the controls somewhere and doesn't remember where he put it. The iron beam with the wedge on it was in the back of his garage. Brand new.

When I asked him about using it he said "I don't know where the controls are, and you need the exercise. Use the wedges and sledge."

I did that tree and another one the same size over several months. Cut them both up and split those billets with two wedges and a 10lb sledgehammer. Had a tree guy come and take them down, but hauling them off was going to be $$$$ so I told him to leave them there and I'd cut them up.

When I started cutting that first tree up, I didn't own a saw. Dad gave me a Homelite XL with a 16" bar on it. Thing is heavy as hell and was a PITA to cut with. When I moved to the trunk the tree was too big to cut, even going down each side and matching my cuts. THEN Dad gets out the 372XP that he had sitting in a box, brand new. Said he didn't want to get it out if he didn't have to. That thing cut like a hot knife through butter. THEN I find out he also has a Husky 2100 that's still new in the box.

He's a weird cat. Has a lot of cool stuff though, and most of it hasn't ever been used.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Haha! NOW THAT'S A BEAST!! Have any idea what cc power plant it has ? I'm thinking plus 80 cc ??

now back to our regularly scheduled "what did you do to your ATV" programming..sorry to derail...
We're still on the left side of the road here...lol
This is sooooo my fault (LOL)...sorry...

1461 - 1480 of 1510 Posts