Honda ATV Forum banner

201 - 220 of 1503 Posts

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Hi Ianzian: What is the name of trees you are cutting up for burning wood. You are getting good use out of your bike. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Melatv... That is some old dead locust that was standing. I feared it to hit my garage n house and such so took them down. Maybe not the best for burning but here and easy.

I think most of the locust is dead or dying around here.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Melatv... That is some old dead locust that was standing. I feared it to hit my garage n house and such so took them down. Maybe not the best for burning but here and easy.

I think most of the locust is dead or dying around here.
Hi: Thanks -- most any trees will heat the house -- just use a little more.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm having fun tinkering around....

Changed the oil in my "new" '86 TRX200SX-and I'm really wondering if I'm the first one to ever bother...OMG...

Found an OEM air cleaner element, and replaced it (I think the old one was factory!)

Fixed and mounted my rear tail light-which was in pieces...after finding an awesome store locally that probably carries every fastener thought of...

Replaced the broken pull (start) handle

Put in a new battery (and still can't use electric ignition) :(
And...ordered a new solenoid...hoping that'll fix it...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #206 (Edited)
Today was fun. After $160 bucks at Napa motor part and bearing I was ready to go. I did new brake shoes and wheel bearings and seals in the front hubs. I also pulled the front plastics and put dielectric grease in every plug I could.

I keep trying to post pics but it just won't wor

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #209

Here are the pics.

Yesterday I got my 300 in water to deep and got water all in may carb and oil. Today after about 50 bucks at Napa the 300 is almost back in action. I have to change the oil again and set the carb. I'm getting good at rebuilding 300 fourtrax carbs lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Went for a few good rides this weekend. Had the swingarm come out of my 500 Sunday afternoon down in the bottoms so had to ride on the back of the wife's rig for a bit. Recovery of the 500 yesterday got hairy. Road going down to the bottoms had some major washes so I had to take the Jeep with lockers front and rear. Almost rolled her over on the way down the ridge when I hit a deep washout. Got the wheeler loaded and on the way back up the ridge I tried to go around the bigger washes and had one cave in on me. Put the right front wheel of the Jeep about 10 inches in the air, left rear wheel was suspended in thin air above a wash. Left front wheel and right rear wheel were on dirt but couldn't get enough traction to pull the Jeep and the trailer up the hill. Had to use the winch (8274) to pull it out of the wash, and the tree I was using for an anchor (only tree over 5" that was within cable reach) came out of the ground just as the Jeep came up out of the wash. Trailer was sitting on the frame at that point, and even in 4 low the Jeep wouldn't pull it up the hill. Had to unload the Foreman, pull the trailer up to flat ground, then winch the wheeler up the hill back onto the trailer. Fun 2 hours of work.

Got my buddy's 300 dropped off in the yard before we rode Sunday. He couldn't get the right front hub off and I told him I didn't do house calls (he lives about 40 miles north of me). He pulled it up on the trailer and as we got ready to unload it he said "I beat on it with a hammer, tried prying, and it just won't come off". We picked up the front end to pull it off the trailer and the hub fell off. LOL.

Have had quite a bit of rain here so the gumbo was good and sticky this weekend. The Rubicon in the picture is running 26" Outlaws. Had to double hook to him to pull him out.

Attachments

·
Registered
832 Posts
Sounds like a good time there Jeep! Got any pics of your jeep

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Sounds like a good time there Jeep! Got any pics of your jeep
Scrambler is dad's.

The tan CJ with the hardtop is locked front and rear.

The green CJ is my "town Jeep" I have a Truetrac for the rear of it but haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

Both of mine have 8274's on the front. I have another 8274 for the Scrambler along with a full length hardtop but Dad's really finicky about what goes on his Jeep, so I'm being patient. The older he gets the less he seems to care.:laugh:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,277 Posts
Jeep , I didn't know you were into Jeeps , just so happened I was with a guy this morning that owns a Jeep dealership down here , only thing is all his are used and most modified , he has about 100 on his lot , no new ones -------- I see that Gumbo mud you are whipping up , it was the same way for us this weekend , slop fest , wife is really mad at me , we have one of them new style washers that cost a bundle and don't wash worth a crap , I hoses off my clothes outside and there was still sand all in the bottom of the machine , I washed them 4 times and still had to take them outside , hose them again , wash the washing machine and do 2 clean cycles to get it clean , got my butt chewed ----so why did the swing arm drop out ?

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Jeep , I didn't know you were into Jeeps , just so happened I was with a guy this morning that owns a Jeep dealership down here , only thing is all his are used and most modified , he has about 100 on his lot , no new ones -------- I see that Gumbo mud you are whipping up , it was the same way for us this weekend , slop fest , wife is really mad at me , we have one of them new style washers that cost a bundle and don't wash worth a crap , I hoses off my clothes outside and there was still sand all in the bottom of the machine , I washed them 4 times and still had to take them outside , hose them again , wash the washing machine and do 2 clean cycles to get it clean , got my butt chewed ----so why did the swing arm drop out ?
Yep, Dad bought the Scrambler new, was wise enough to not let me drive it much when I was a teen. I picked up the tan CJ in 93, green one around 2002. I've bought and sold a few others, but these are the ones that will get passed down to the kids or grandkids.

On the swingarm, the right bolt backed out a few months ago and wallowed out the threads. I pulled it, ran a tap through the threads, and then reinstalled it. The bolt was cocked an an angle when I felt up in there yesterday, so apparently the threads I tapped weren't enough to hold it in place and the bolt toqued sideways, and then apparently it slid off the left swingarm bolt which was still tight and centered.

Not sure what I'm going to do at this point. I'm leaning towards just putting new swingarm bearings on, getting the bolts in place, and welding the crap out of them them keep them from moving again. Will be a PITA when I have to do swingarm bearings again but that's something that needs replacing so infrequently that I'm thinking I'll just weld the bolts in place.

My other option is to weld an extra locknut for the right swingarm bolt onto the frame to serve as the threaded part that holds the bolt. Toodeep did that over on Hondaforeman.com and said it worked ok.

Luckly I have extra machines to ride while I figure out how I want to fix it.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
wife is really mad at me , we have one of them new style washers that cost a bundle and don't wash worth a crap , ?
Speedqueen is what you seek.

My front loader needed a new spindle bearing, then a new drain pump, then a new water level sensor, then the main board crapped out and I broke down and got a new one. After I got a new one (Kenmore top loader) I discoverd Speedqueen and my sister got one. Analog controlled models are available, and they're the vendor who makes most of the commerical grade laundromat washers.

My next washer will be an analog speedqueen. They do a great job on clothes, and more importantly, they don't have all the electronic BS on them that causes them to break (kinda like ES Hondas vs footshifts!)

·
Premium Member
12,277 Posts
I guess the right way to fix that swing arm problem would be to swop frames , that is a lot of work and always branches off and becomes bigger -------------- I could see welding a lock nut over the damaged threads working if the pivot bolt is long enough , if not a longer one could be machined ------------- when you get it apart you might find that it is really mess up now -----in that case I would stick it in there and weld it up and start looking for a frame to have on stand by

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Already have an extra frame, but will make this one work. The extra frame is for much more serious damage should it occur (like my sister hitting a tree on my 09 with 600 miles on it, bending the frame up front).

With extra machines in the yard there's no huge hurry to fix this one. I will get creative. Now that I'm teaching myself to weld I've gotten a lot more adventurous on the whole "if it's made of steel it can be fixed" attitude welders seem to have.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Yes welding is a great skill to learn. I'm glad I was able to learn when I did. It definitely helps when working on wheelers and cars.

Ian, I like that bracket you have. I am missing the ones on my wheeler so when I put it together I'm going to have to see if it rubs or not. May have to make one up if it rubs. It looks like you are enjoying your 250!

201 - 220 of 1503 Posts
About this Discussion
1.5K Replies
133 Participants
Loosemarbles
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing