Honda ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Oil, Oil, Oil. Spare keys. Keep some spare keys in the truck. you may want a 12 volt air compressor also. Don't want water in motor but of you do you will need to remove and replace immediately. Bring an oil drain pan. Also spare keys. I went on a trip out of town and forgot my keys. I loaded everything night before and took keys out of atvs to keep from getting stolen and woke early and off I went with all of the atv keys on my night stand at home. an 8 hour drive away from home.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
well if my memory serves me correct, you just got a trailer, so added to the list would be a spare tire to teh trailer(or even 2 pending how far you travel, and or even more so on a double axle trailer, as if you run something over on one side, you tend to kill two tires in a row)
next a 12 volt or a good impact powered impact wrench, trailer studs just plain suck to have to chage on the side of the road, many 4 way lug wrenches many times do not have size you need, or the trailer is too low with a flat and you cannot spin them,only do half turns
and if the lugs/studs go thru to other side, and and all of the stud comes out9not like a car truck one, that treads say on) they rust up like mad and fight you till the very end
been there and learned this the hard way , so this is a tool that stays/lives in ever dam turck I own ever since! LOl
a battery charger is a plus too, as many folks have been known to leave a key on or?? and then atv battery is dead whole trip, or if you sink one, get wires wet and have to crank the crap out of one to get going, there nice to have, and take up little space
a few flares and a good working light/flash light is a great idea too
I towed my atv over a thousand miles a few times a yr for 15+ yrs, so, I know these come in handy!
I am also a big fan of carrying in a tool box an assortment of nuts and bolts, alont with tools, can of WD 40, carb/breake cleaner, QT or two of oil, for both atv and truck even!,
in colder area's a blanket is a good idea, can come in handy to keep you warm, or to lay on if you need to fix soming while being on the ground, same can be a good thick piece of used carpet too, can park ATv on it while being towed , or in the bed of a pick up ,too!
again for trailer and even truck, a good jack, can be a life saver, as many factory tools in cars and trucks, just plain suck, or very hard to get to!
a tire plug kit, on atv and a small compressor went on almost evert trail ride I been on, got a small one at wally world that fits in my little storage compartment on my 400 foreman, so it lives in there
I like a folding saw on atv too, a lighter, a small LED flashlight, extra spark plug, and a wrench that goes on easier than the factory one!
some quick zip ties in all sorts of sizes, and two ratchet straps, think mine are 12 or 15 ft one's
they can be used at tow straps too if need be, I buy good straps rated at working loads of 1500 lbs too,, them cheap one's I have seen break way too many times
a few extra fuses for my fuse box too in a zip lock bag
and leather work gloves
and if on longer far off the beaten path rides,a good first aid kit/ with things to clean eyes, like fresh water
as time goes by, you tend to find out what you can do without or need to add
I'm more like a boy scout when I go places, live by the ruel rather have than not need than need and not have
so I over pack more than under pack, but its saved a lot of trips over the yrs having it at times!
Thanks this is GREAT! Adding some of these to the list.
Yes I recently ordered a trailer. Should be here in a week or so. I am preparing as best I can to be ready for a 3 hour ride to PA for some riding at the end of March hopefully. Thanks for the detailed post.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Oil, Oil, Oil. Spare keys. Keep some spare keys in the truck. you may want a 12 volt air compressor also. Don't want water in motor but of you do you will need to remove and replace immediately. Bring an oil drain pan. Also spare keys. I went on a trip out of town and forgot my keys. I loaded everything night before and took keys out of atvs to keep from getting stolen and woke early and off I went with all of the atv keys on my night stand at home. an 8 hour drive away from home.
Great point! Spare keys!! Adding to the list. Thanks!!!
The air compressor is a good idea too. The one I have is a 3 gallon. Kind of small and requires an AC outlet but a good idea regardless.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
OH one mroe thing, to carry
TP, seems like one of them things when you need it, its sure nice to have it, rather than not!
and it can be used for many things, from a fire starter to cleaning an eye, it packs light and stays dry in a zip lock bag!
so?/ LOl
TP is already on the list! I hear ya! :)

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
thought of one more thing, I kinda forget on list like these due to I have 2 in my truck every where I go
but a good fire extinguisher, A bigger one for the truck maybe, and a smaller one for the ATV, never hurts to have one I know that, over the yrs I have seen maybe a dozen bikes/atv's./snowmobile's catch fore, and most times its a total loss due to no one having one on a trail ride
I actually needed mine in my truck one, had a main seal go and cauth oil's on motor on fire while driving home one day
all I can say is, I'm not sure it helped me, LOL
as after that it smelled really bad till the day I got ride of that truck, burnt oil and what ever chemical was in the fire extinguisher, as soon s motor got hot, the funk started over again
had full coverage ins, so??
but hey never know

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
what part of PA you heading to?
I'm In pa so?
One place we are looking at is the AOAA near Shamokin, PA. Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area > Home It's only 3 hours away from our house and there is an amusement park (Knoebels) 20 minutes away. It is officially opening sometime in May. I may be able to get in early for a preview.

This way we get ATV fun along with amusement and water park fun. Everyone in the family is happy.

Fred

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
List updated again as of this posting. This list is priceless for me and I hope it helps others. Yes it may be a little overkill to some but I am going to shoot for just about everything there is on the list. It never hurts to be prepared especially when you are far from home. Thanks again to everyone for their feedback and additions. Let me know if anything else should be added.

·
Banned
2,860 Posts
Five gallons of hydraulic oil, three gallons of Rotella, a few oil filters, 300ish piece tool set, breaker bars, pry bars, RTV, bungee cords, tow straps, jumper cables, spare front and soon rear diffs, spare axles, eether, carb cleaner, pb blaster, assorted hammers, etc.

·
Registered
290 Posts
^^ I'm starting to get a picture not unlike the Beverly Hillbillies truck. I may go back to hiking full time. :)

·
Banned
2,860 Posts
Nah everything minus the oil fits in my truck box on my Frontier. But I am going to build a wooden box for my trailer so i dont have to empty my truck box for everyday use.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I would invest in a trailer box everything minus my jumppack fits inside my touge mounted tool box plus more I could probably squeeze the jump pack in there but it's easier to put it in the truck an inverter is a cool thing to have in the truck but make sure its powerful enough to run whatever you plan on using it for

·
Registered
101 Posts
As many people have said..... DUCT TAPE AND ZIP TIES. I always carry duct tape and zip ties on me no matter how small the job/ trip. they can get you out of so much trouble!

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
This might be extreme, but many yrs back when I snowmobiled a lot
and took a ton of far away trips
I used to even bring a spare sled LOL
and have on a few trips took an extra atv too!
But that is kinda over board I guess for sure, but hey?
like they say, when you need something, its nice to have it on hand Lol

·
Premium Member
2,608 Posts
What about a spare diode to replace the one in the fuse block that supports relay coil operation? This diode is small and every bit as important as most of the fuses, unless you enjoy pull starting with the recoil starter, if equipped. Perhaps not every bike has this diode but I'm putting a spare in with my extra fuses.

Rick

·
Registered
512 Posts
For me, the most important thing is a very well maintained machine to ride. This include everything from the truck and trailer to the atv. I have only had one breakdown in 45 years of offroading. That was a lost axle nut on a machine I rushed to put back together for a ride and forgot the cotter key to keep the axle nut tight. I HAVE had a few busted tires, and I always carry a spare set on wheels with me on trips. There has been a lot of good advice listed here, I will be adding to some of the things I take on trips

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
The only thing I see that is not needed is a "beer cooler"!!! We drink after rides,not during.Lol.we had a bad experience a few years back with a fellow that didn't know his limits.he was life flighted off off a mtn in north ga.not a fun time

21 - 40 of 49 Posts