Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, all, just signed up and hoping to gain a little knowledge as things go along!

So, here's my situation. I received a Honda Fourtrax 300 from my mother, who has decided to buy something more modern and with one of those CVT transmissions for ease of riding. Sat for a while and took a bit to get' er going, but I was successful and, after a few rides, the machine is running pretty good, just needs some TLC.

Main issue right now is the carburetor bowl leaks pretty bad. I want to replace the bowl gasket, but considering the age of the machine and the simple fact that I really like it, I figure to rebuild the entire carburetor while I'm at it.

My problem now is picking the right kit. From what I've seen on eBay, there are three different kits from various brands available, spanning 88-90, 91-95 and 96-00 year ranges. I've searched everywhere on the frame and I cannot find any tags that would identify my year anywhere. There is one sticker left intact, but it's just a color code.

I pulled the carburetor earlier today with intent of simply getting the part number to assist. It is a Keihin carburetor with the following number on one side...

VE
91AAHE

Unfortunately, Googling this yields absolutely nothing, and trimming it to VE91 isn't helping much either with narrowing things down. According to a service manual that I downloaded, the carb ID is VE91C, but I can't find a "C" anywhere on the carburetor. For what it's worth, the second "A" in my carb's sequence has a rectangle around it.

I just want to order a rebuild kit that is correct to the carburetor so I can get things karoony-karoony again. Don't want to wait a week to receive a kit only to find out that it isn't correct and I have to start over again. Also, I would prefer to spend a few extra dollars for quality if possible. I've had too many irritations buying cheap stuff in the automotive world and I'm sure small machines aren't much different, LOL.

Hate to sound like I'm overcomplicating things, but this will the be first time I have ever taken apart a carburetor, let alone actually rebuilt one, so I want to at least start off with the right parts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I prefer a website called jets r us, they sell very good kits and can even get oem keihn jets, and I recommend a service manual will brake down EVERYTHING

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
In my opinion the best carb kit is the quadboss brand. Also, if you give me the 10'th character off your rig, I can tell you what year it is. this character should be a letter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem, check for the VIN number. It should be located on the left hand side of the machine by the foot pegs. Once you find that, try to find some OEM parts. It’ll be a lot more expensive but it will last a much longer time. Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
you didn’t say what year/model. Sometimes makes a jetting and choke valve difference.

Good on you for rebuilding yourself—not hard at all. I recommend the K&L carb kit. Shindy carb kit or OEM gasket kit are great but missing bits you might want. the Shindy kit doesn’t have the starter jet passage port and the gasket kit doesn’t have any of the jets🤷🏼‍♂️

download the service manual from the link in my signature block below

source parts using OEM parts finders at Rocky Mountain atv and Partzilla: SE (choke) valve and the primer pump.

check out my carb rebuild thread

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses, guys. Took a couple days before I could head back down and look around some more and I did find a tag on the front of the frame identifying it as a '94 TRX300FW.

The VIN's pretty faded, but I might be able to decipher it if I spend some time and squint a lot, LOL.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts