Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive bee trying to find good places to ride, especially during these cold months here in WA state. Would love some open fields to be able to ride with my kiddo (2 year old, he loves just cruising around) As well as ride and have fun with. Anything from trails to open areas. Wife really wants to learn to so places that are fairly open and not too crowded would cool to know about as well.

Any areas up along Mt Rainer that you can go and play in the snow? That youre not going to get in trouble or kicked out of or fined?

Located in Puyallup (near Tacoma) so the closer the better.

Thanks!

· Registered
8,309 Posts
I think the best advice I can give you is contact your states DNR dept and see what is legally allowed
MOST state/federal trails I know of are just that trails, NOT many fields to play in, and most all ATV trails get closed for winter, and turn into snowmobile trails?

next will be I DON"T have a clue what the legal side of having a 2 yr old on them, most states a min age and as far as I know, 2 is no where near it

That might be a HARD sell, as even if you find private land owners willing to let you ride on there land, they might have a liability issue with a child that young riding on there lands.

MOST states require a kid to pass a ATV safety test to ride state trails due to insurance reasons of the lands?

YOU MIGHT try finding some atv clubs near you, that are more open to the idea of a child that young riding, or maybe they can help direct you in the direction of a place that would

I think if you did a survey of where parents let kids say under the age of 16 to ride, , you will find MOST ride on there own lands, or family lands, and MAYBE , close friends willing to allow

I don't know of any state lands that will allow this, and again, its instance reasons, and liability reasons?

NOT trying to be a downer here, just honest advice as I know it

best of luck to you
I like seeing kids get into this sport

but at age 2, if he's to ride alone, ??
I'd stick to back yards if It was me, and maybe electric atv's not gas powered one's too!

NOW < if you have a legally TWO up Machine, then its a totally different thing in most places

but a single seat OEM design, atv
passengers can be a NO go in a LOT of places

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Back yard is really all I do. In 1st gear moving just fast enough to be able to release the clutch. By no means to I mean I'm going to actively ride with him, especially due to his age. I understand that all to well. Was just thinking maybe some other more open areas then my neighborhood.

Field riding I'm more or less wanting for my wife to learn how to ride. She's never rode one nor does she understand a clutch. So a nice open area would be ideal for her to learn the basics without me pissing off all my neighbors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that's more then likely what I will get her at first, but I just have no idea on how well the autos hold up and what to expect from them. And she is eager to learn a manual so the less she knows (she doesn't know you can get an auto version) the better lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
8,309 Posts
best option then is get her like a rancher foot shift
there still NO clutch lever, but will teach her how to shift gears at same time without the skills needed to use a hand clutch

after she get's the basic's, she can then move over easier I think
as for how well do they hold up
well that all comes down to how well you treat them and take care of them, some folks have 10-11,000 miles or more on them problem free mostly, minus basic Om's

SO, reliable
I say SURE and then some

and I am talking Honda's here, NOT CVT drives

BUT even the CVT drive set up's(no foot shifts here)
have come a LONG way and can be super reliable too with GOOD care of them

Only issue I have with auto';s , is it tales a LOT of the skill out the people that drive them, almost any idiot can drive them
as to a manual clutched machine, there is WAY more skill required and more eye/ear hand eye foot coordination going on, which I think helps in many other area's in life
and makes you a better driver once you master it!

more performance there too I think!!
I grew up on them, so??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.