Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Honda 420CC Rancher ES

ISSUE:
Had on and off issues with my quad mid trip blanking out and loosing track of what gear it was in, I could turn it off and on then continue. It progressively got worse to the point where I could only lap the house before the issue appeared and turning it off/on wouldn’t always solve it, and sometimes it wouldn’t even get that far.

ATTEMPTS TO FIX:
Last week I replaced the Shift Angle Sensor and it seemed to have cleared up the problem as it shifted cleanly through all the gears in a standing position. Yesterday I had the chance to actually take it out and run it and found out my problem is still occurring.

This time I took note of the error code and found out it was Error 24 Shift Control Motor Drive Circuit. Ran through all the steps and everything checked out, so thinking it was dirt in a connector that I cleaned out. The last step says to erase the DTC which I think you need some HDS Pocket Tester to do which I don’t have. Took it for a spin and within a few minutes same issue but different error code.

Not it’s Error 22 Shift Angle Sensor Response: Control Motor Lock/Stuck. Got up to the last step which is the Reduction Gear Condition Check, but I called it a night and will resume again later.

I’m thinking I’ll find my problem when I take that apart. Not sure of price of a new one or a good place to shop for parts for it. But I was also wondering why I can no longer shift manually all of a sudden? When I was going through the steps one was to shift manually and it did work, but then minutes later it doesn’t...

Any thoughts? Does not clearing the error codes have an impact? Am I on the right track :p

Just registered to post this, but have lurked here before and found plenty of helpful info, so thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
clearly an ATV friendly family lol so not having this one ride worthy is getting to me :p

2007 Honda 420 CC Ranchers ES
2007 Honda 420 CC Ranchers ES
2001 Honda 350CC Fourtrax 2X4 Manual
2001 Honda 350CC Fourtrax 4X4 ES
???? Yamaha 90cc Moto 4 (childhood memories)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Lol that signature picture is how the little Hondas are made :icon_ laughup::icon_ laughup::icon_ laughup::icon_ laughup::icon_ laughup::icon_ laughup::icon_ laughup::icon_ laughup::icon_ laughup::icon_ laughup::icon_ laughup::icon_ laughup:

Reactions: kentco

·
Super Moderator
38,142 Posts
my first guess would be too remove the front cover where your electric shift gears are, and have a look at those gears. seems like they are not working right ?, maybe stripped a tooth or two ?. stripped shifting shaft splines there ?. gotta love these electric shifts !!..lmaooooooooooo. no thanks..manual all the way !!!.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Hi: You don't need any special thing to do the rest -- just use a jumper to connect the Brown/Red and Green wire together in the connector and follow the service manual procedure.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
sounds like your shift reduction gears in the front of the motor have sheared (this has been known to happen, ive replaced a lot of them on 07 420TE/FE models over the years.)

remove the shift control motor (2 10mm bolts) and the gears will unbind. inspect the splines on the shift motor, if they are worn replace the shift motor.

remove the remaining 3 10mm bolts and pull the reduction gear cover. the large gear that contacts the control motor may have a section of the splines stripped off, if so this will have to be replaced.

the smaller gear and gear that rotates the shift shaft should be intact, but clean the grease and make sure its all lined up. as soon as you remove the shift motor you should be able to manually shift the motor again unless something else internally is bound up. replace the grease and reseal that case and you should be good to go.

they break on their own, and ive never had a cause for it. after they are replaced ive never had one come back on me. at the dealership i replaced the shift motor and all the reduction gears at one time as an assembly on the ones that had high wear on the gears.

·
Super Moderator
38,142 Posts
sounds like your shift reduction gears in the front of the motor have sheared (this has been known to happen, ive replaced a lot of them on 07 420TE/FE models over the years.)

remove the shift control motor (2 10mm bolts) and the gears will unbind. inspect the splines on the shift motor, if they are worn replace the shift motor.

remove the remaining 3 10mm bolts and pull the reduction gear cover. the large gear that contacts the control motor may have a section of the splines stripped off, if so this will have to be replaced.

the smaller gear and gear that rotates the shift shaft should be intact, but clean the grease and make sure its all lined up. as soon as you remove the shift motor you should be able to manually shift the motor again unless something else internally is bound up. replace the grease and reseal that case and you should be good to go.

they break on their own, and ive never had a cause for it. after they are replaced ive never had one come back on me. at the dealership i replaced the shift motor and all the reduction gears at one time as an assembly on the ones that had high wear on the gears.
if I were to guess ?, i'd say the gears wear out cuz Honda is buying cheap china metal !!..lmfaooo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it all apart the reduction gear and spindle gear both look good, with the control motor removed manual shifting is still iffy. Putting it into neutral is fairly easy but shifting it into gear is a different story. Almost need someone spinning the tires and instead of just pulling the hand crank to shift you have to hold it down a little bit and it MIGHT pop into gear.

So basically I'm back to having no idea what to look into next. Any tips guys?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Scratch that I think I just messed up the positioning of the spindle gear. It now manually shifts and I can turn it on and electric shift it fine for a short bit before it stops and brings me back to error 22 which I have already replaced the shift angle sensor. So not sure what's next...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
check the resistance of the shift motor by slowly turning it with an ohm meter across the poles (orange and green wire.) if the resistance spikes higher than 40 ohms, the control motor is bad. internal corrosion will cause the resistance to spike higher than 120 ohms sometimes and that will cause a false 22 code. this info came directly from honda techline a few years ago when i called on the same problem, the shift motor is much cheaper on these than other models. just hope i caught you in time before ordering an expensive PCM.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Scratch that I think I just messed up the positioning of the spindle gear. It now manually shifts and I can turn it on and electric shift it fine for a short bit before it stops and brings me back to error 22 which I have already replaced the shift angle sensor. So not sure what's next...
Hi @Candystripes05, did you ever have any success with this? I have a similar set of issues. Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts