Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO im new to this site so hey yall i recently bout a 2011 420at i been lookin into buyin a winch and wheels and tires. Whats a decent winch to go with? Also what is the bolt pattern on the new 420 and whats the biggest tire you can fit without rubbing and still have decent power? Thanks

· Premium Member
23,587 Posts
Welcome to the forums. The bolt pattern is 4/110.

· Registered
532 Posts
I have Warn on mine...it's performed flawlessly. I especially like the wireless remote control...very handy!

Helmut is correct on bolt pattern...4x110. Your bike should have IRS, so your offset will be the same for front and rear wheels...should be 5+2 if you buy 7" wheels (5" from mounting surface to inner rim lip, 2" from mounting surface to outer rim lip).

As far as tire size goes, you can get a 27" under it, but you will have a noticeable loss in power as well as a lot of extra stress on your driveline components. OEM is 24"...I wouldn't recommend going any bigger than 25" if you don't want to loose much power.

· Registered
436 Posts
I have Warn on mine...it's performed flawlessly. I especially like the wireless remote control...very handy!

Helmut is correct on bolt pattern...4x110. Your bike should have IRS, so your offset will be the same for front and rear wheels...should be 5+2 if you buy 7" wheels (5" from mounting surface to inner rim lip, 2" from mounting surface to outer rim lip).

As far as tire size goes, you can get a 27" under it, but you will have a noticeable loss in power as well as a lot of extra stress on your driveline components. OEM is 24"...I wouldn't recommend going any bigger than 25" if you don't want to loose much power.

Green can you post pictures of where you hooked up you wireless remote and installed it? Thanks

· Registered
532 Posts

Green can you post pictures of where you hooked up you wireless remote and installed it? Thanks
Well...kind of, it's pretty tough to see. I have to start by letting you know that I'm an Electrical Engineer and am an extreme perfectionist. It's pretty safe to say that the hassle I went through to install my winch electrical system is uncommon. I have an unlimited supply of automotive wiring supplies including heat shrink tubing, zip ties, convoluted loom, terminals, and of course wire & cable. In addition to crimping, I also soldered and heat shrunk every terminal to it's respective wire or cable.

On to your question...it is important to me to keep all electronics as clean and dry as possible, so I have all of the electronics for the winch installed in the electrical pocket behind the seat (under the plastic cover)...on the 09 Rancher, there just isn't any other appropriate location (in my opinion). Once you have your contactor and wireless receiver in your hand and you see how much space is available, you'll either throw the BS flag or you'll marvel at how I was able to accomplish this.

First of all, it was like putting a puzzle together. I removed everything from the electrical box and one by one, started putting pieces back in until I had everything situated in a way that I could permanently secure. The bottom line is, the contactor is screwed to the back of the box, above the ECM, and mounted with fender washers to keep the bolts from pulling through the plastic. One of the washers had to be notched out to allow for one of the OEM mounting clips that holds a connector on the back wall. The wireless receiver is mounted in the bottom of the box, in front of the ECM. The dealio that was previously in that location is now zip tied to the cross tube above the box. I got power for the receiver from the accessory wire coming out of the bottom of the fuse box (again, soldered and heat shrunk...do not use those Scotch Taps).

I cut the bullet terminals off of the contactor, handlebar switch, and receiver and replaced them all with Deutsch connectors. I wired them all so the receiver can be completely removed from the system and the handlebar switch can be plugged back into the contactor (in case the receiver ever fails). I cut all of the heavy gauge cables and re-terminated them to avoid the need to bundle and store the extra length. The handheld transmitter and mounting clip are mounted inside my rear storage area, also out of the elements.

I will take pictures when I get home from work (in a couple hours), and will post them then. I can't imagine anyone would want to go through the time and effort that I did, but if you do, I'm willing to help however I can.

· Registered
532 Posts
Guy at the shop is wrong. I used a Warn mount, part number 75660. It's a tight fit and the winch sits in there backward, but it does fit. Any winch I've ever seen has the motor on the brake side. RT25 on an 09 Rancher has the motor on the clutch side.

The instructions are pretty clear. Just follow them and you'll be fine...key is to not tighten all the bolts up until everything is lined up.

· Registered
532 Posts
If you look close at the receiver in the first pic, you can see the zip tie that holds it to the ECM.

· Registered
101 Posts
WOW!! that is the cleanest winch install I have ever seen!! Nothing wrong with perfection.. I'm jelous..lol

· Registered
532 Posts
WOW!! that is the cleanest winch install I have ever seen!! Nothing wrong with perfection.. I'm jelous..lol
Thanks...that's my OCD showing through. I take absolutely no shortcuts with my electrical installations...no matter what they are. LOL...last fall I bought a brand new trailer for my Rancher, took it home, ripped out all of the wiring, including the lights, and rewired the whole thing. Why? Because whoever put it together (probably some kid at the Tractor Supply Co), did a half-ass job and did not route, secure, or protect the wires properly. Electrical gremlins are hard troubleshoot and can be fatal...my philosophy is do it right the first time and you'll never have to redo it.

wow green you did a great job how long did it take you ??
Winch installation was probably 6 hours. When I installed the winch, I had a little room in the electrical box to store the spare lengths of power, ground, and control wires, and of the two power wires to the winch, both were exactly long enough the way I routed them.

I installed the wireless system about a year later and I had to maximize my available space, so I had to get rid of anything extra. So, I basically removed and reinstalled the two power cables that go from the contactor to the winch. This gained me an extra 6-8" and allowed me to bring them into the electrical box from the top and side, rather than from the front. I also cut the control switch wires and main power and ground cables to length, all in addition to trying to figure how and where to mount the receiver and transmitter. I spend probably another 6 hours installing the wireless system (and reworking the winch electrical install).

Great job I just threw mine in the storage box in the back not that I had much room before but now I can just fit the tools and a camera. Hey Honda we need more storage!
Lol...yeah, storage space is definitely lacking...that's why I tried to preserve as much as I could.

· Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a Warn for my 420. I ordered the xt25 but they sent the xt30. I'm not complaining. The xt30 comes with the wireless remote. Question-- Do I need to install both the wired toggle switch and the wireless or can I just install the wireless?

· Registered
2,625 Posts
yea warn is probaly the best winch in terms of tire siz dont go bigger than 25. If your looking for a good mud tire I would go with the zillas or executioners.

· Registered
213 Posts
Warn is a darn good winch. Try viper as well, not too bad priced and very rrliable. Ya tires if u want to run any bigger than a 26 you need a clutch kit and maybe even a gr. The sra's will pull almost any tire you througj at it with a few mods. Im about to put 29.5s on mine. Clearance ahouldnt be an issue for u but power will be. Hondas gear ratio for the irs is kinda stupid if u ask me

· Registered
361 Posts
I have a 2011 at and I can tell u not to get the 27 itp 589s it well turn them over but u have to give it like 1/4 throttle to half depending on what kinda mud ur in but if u want a 27 in tire I would get the maxxis zillas cause there like the lightest tire in that size the weigh 22 lbs each and that's y I'm getting them is cause there so light hope this helps

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.