Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okkk..as some of you guy's know..i'm currently working on a 2000 trx350 rancher ( it's another restore project )..lol..anyway..first let me say..i'm pretty smart on most atv's..and i always lend a few words to ppl on here that have simple problems....do not ask me why it is..i can answer your questions for your problem..but can't seem to figure out my own !!!..must be one of murfey's laws ?..lmao..anyway..i got the crank replaced ( bent connecting rod )..all back together..went to crank it..it would not start and run..soo..i thought i may have got my timming off on the crank and cam..well..sure enough ( yeah..i've warned ppl about this all the time on here )..lmao..180 degrees out..tore it apart..fixed the crank and cam..did not get any damage to valves ( thank god !! )..all back together..still will turn over.but won't start up and idle ( please do not tell me it's a carb issue )..lmfao..went through this thing about 20 times ..even tried a new carb over haul..still doing the same thing..it will crank..but won't run..yes it's getting fire ( knocked the crap outta me )..watch it with getting fire !..lmao....new ring's..got plenty of compression..dang near can't pull start it at all so much compression !!. i'm sure this will get easier after it's broken in..valves are seating... ( done leak test )..only time i can get it to half way start and run..is if i cover the carb with my hand..and it draws a crap load of fuel in..but still won't idle when i remove my hand..my question is..do these new atv's require the ex on and a certain restriction to the carb with the air box ?..this thing is driving me crazy..give me a old atv..and i'll make it pur..but this new one..is just short of getting blown up by some c4 !..anyone wanna give some thoughts ??..i'm stumped.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Try another carb on it. One of my buddies had a 350 Rancher that would do the same thing you described. You would have to hold your hand over the back of the carb to get it to run. I rebuilt the carb and it still did the same thing. I took the carb off another 350 Rancher and it ran perfect. Might not be your problem, but it would be worth a try. That was what was wrong with his. I never could figure out what was wrong with the carb.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try another carb on it. One of my buddies had a 350 Rancher that would do the same thing you described. You would have to hold your hand over the back of the carb to get it to run. I rebuilt the carb and it still did the same thing. I took the carb off another 350 Rancher and it ran perfect. Might not be your problem, but it would be worth a try. That was what was wrong with his. I never could figure out what was wrong with the carb.
yeah..i'm kinda stumped..all brand new carb rebuild kit.and still does the same thing..now..the only thing i found in my service manual is something about a air reduction valve..has something to do with keeping the bike from running lean or something..as for trying another carb..i'll have to see if i can locate one from a friend..we don't work on alot of new bikes..sooo.these are hard to come by..lol..i was even thinking about sticking a honda 300 carb on it..at least they don't have all this new crap on those..lol...and if it does run then..well..yeah..i'd say the carb is not working.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well helmut..tried another carb off another 350 rancher..still doing the same thing..whats the odd's of two carbs being the same ??..lmao..i'm totally lost on this one..doesn't look like anyone here has a answer either..lmfao. damnit..why the heck did honda go and change a perfectly good motor..they should of stayed with the slant motors..lol.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
up date !!!..it lives !..lmfao..ok..before any of you say..well..you shoulda...yeah yeah..but..this is my first newer rebuild on one of these.i have learned alot !..sooo..moving along..after pulling my hair out over this atv..i couldn't not for the life of me figure out why is wasn't drawing fuel into the intake...i knew it had to do with something with the timming..well..3 beers later ( no..this is not why i missed it..or screwed up )..lmfao...i tore the side cover off ( rear cover )..and comparing the cam..and it's markings..to another cam.which..by the way was different !..the marks on them were not the same..as for lining up the crank and cam..welllllll..i was sure this was my problem..sure enough..4 tear downs later..and the right timming mark lined up with everything...it runs !!!...sooo..lesson learned here..do not think you put something together right..because you will discover later on..you screwed up !.lmfao..anyway..it is running now..just wanted to give you a update..still got along ways to go..to get it done..details..details..this is what is gonna take me awhile to get fixed..i'm just glad it runs !!

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Well, you shoulda............................ JK. LOL. Glad you got it running.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, you shoulda............................ JK. LOL. Glad you got it running.
thanks helmut !!..i'm kinda proud of it running now..i'm just sooooooo not used to these new motors..i guess i need to work on more of them..lmfao..i'm still stuck in the old days with atv motors...like i said..i did learn alot..never assume you know everything..because..sure as the goverment will tax you..so will learning about new stuff..lmfao.

·
Premium Member
38,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
here's a few pic's of it so far.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts