Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my 98 Fourtrax home I noticed that the foot shift was welded to the shift shaft and now (week latter) It broke. I have got the pedal off but I have no Splins left. What could I do. My last resourt is taking the motor out and taking it apart. Also how in depth is installing a new shift shaft in a 98 fourtrax 300. Also what are some parts i will need to complete this project. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
How long did the old weld last??? I'd say to save headaches weld it back up worry about replacing it later on when you can get your hands on a nice manual.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For me it lasted a week. I'm not sure how long its been welded. A welder told me that them shafts are tempered steel and it will not stay for long.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
oh ok. I have a complete disassembled 250 engine i will check and see if the shift levers are compatible if so i can work something out with you at a fair price, if your intrested?

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Welding it does not last long. Tried it before. Replaceing it is your best option. Like Moose said get a good manual and fix. I have no Idea what your in for but Its mechanics work. Take apart and put together should be simple if you watch what your doing. Get a manual and read threw it and see if you are up to the task.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
Just a note....... If you re weld it you need to use the same welding rods used to weld wear plates on the bottom of excavator and backhoe buckets, they use a special welding rod or wire that will withstand extreme pressures.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I would think a good welder wouldn't have a problem making it permanent.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
I agree I got a welder that repairs my buckets here and I think he could weld anything you give him and it would stick Premanently!!

I would think a good welder wouldn't have a problem making it permanent.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
Agree with these guys. But we tried it along time ago when we were kids but we could not weld wortha ----! But today I would try it again because I have learned alot. Find Somebody with good equipment and with exp..

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Hey you could go with the vise grip custom shifter. Been there done that.

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
I was thinking the same thing LMAO!!! but I was afraid of the rough riding and them bouncing and unhooking. Now thats Engineering at it's best

Hey you could go with the vise grip custom shifter. Been there done that.

·
Premium Member
5,847 Posts
It sure is! I was woods riding once and hit a tree and broke clutch lever so I Ziptied a 10mm wrench to what was left and it worked so I would not need to go home hade to be in 2ND gear most of the time but it helped a hose clamp would of been best.
I was thinking the same thing LMAO!!! but I was afraid of the rough riding and them bouncing and unhooking. Now thats Engineering at it's best

·
Super Moderator
18,227 Posts
X2!! you will definitely need a new shift rod for the new lever

If there is no splines on the shoft it will just Wear the new shifter splines out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got my new shifter on and is doing great so far. I cleaned up the splined with a fin triangle hand fial.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Got my new shifter on and is doing great so far. I cleaned up the splined with a fin triangle hand fial.
Cool hope it works for ya!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts