Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Honda ATV Community Members,

Over the past year, there have been updates to your community environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. We sincerely apologize if you have been negatively impacted. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface, and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software on the site. Once we started looking at how to address these issues, it became clear that we needed to determine how to fix the underlying problems.

We needed to improve user experience, site speed, and overall performance, all while providing a secure environment for you to interact with your community. For the past few months, we have been actively seeking a resolution to these issues.

We are excited to announce that we are upgrading your site!! We have been working with a design and product development team that has enhanced Xenforo software to provide a modern and much better-performing platform. Our goal is to deliver an experience that better fits the current and growing long term needs of your community.

The new platform is designed for efficiency, stability, and to be user-friendly across all devices, including mobile. More time can be spent engaging, sharing, and contributing to your favorite community no matter where you are!

This is just the first stage of the new platform and we look forward to hearing your feedback as we make regular and timely improvements.

Thank you for all your support!

~ Community Support

·
Administrator
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dear Community Members,

We have posted previous messages announcing a new platform coming to your community that will provide a better experience, faster page speed and work seamlessly across all devices, including mobile. We are excited to announce that Hondaatvforums.net will be migrated to our new platform on Thursday, September 6th. The site will be in maintenance mode and in read-only while the migration is happening. This is expected site behavior as we move all the archived content over to the new sites. There should be no change in the content within your profile. All thread content will also be migrated to the new site. Your community may look a little different but all of the important information will still be there!

If for any reason there is a change of date, we will keep you updated on an alternative rollout schedule for the site migration. We look forward to your feedback on the new experience.

We appreciate your support!

~ Community Support

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
I'm hoping the new software will still support the Tapatalk app.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,436 Posts
Journey had some great hits , Oh Sherry may be their greatest song , there are a dozen that are good , one of the only groups I can listen to the entire albums ---- but Lovin', Touchin' , Squeezin' has a lot of personal meaning to me

When I look back at this official video , it is pretty lame as far as videos go , the crowd looks lethargic

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
Patronizing VS gobbledy-gook translation:

These forums are going to be migrated from the current hacked up obsolete vBulletin forum software to a far superior, very modern xenForo forum software platform. Which will promptly be hacked up (like a 31 year old wiring harness in the hands of an anxious 14 year old) and destroyed by Vertical Scope employees to more efficiently serve their parasitic data-mining clients. :)

We (Mods) have been warned that some of our existing forum content will not get a seat on the bus. How much content (and what will become of it), we do not know... we received a similar auto-posted patronizing gobbledy-gook expression of insincerity & non-facts as you folks just did. And I had to get angry, threaten and cuss at them before they agreed to post this insincere heads up for you deserving members.

We are all hoping for the best... xenForo is by far the finest forum platform on earth. It is the software that we (I actually) have been insisting on for a long time. xenForo provides a migration script that will transfer most of the old vBulletin content here if proper preps are made beforehand and each step is debugged and verified for completeness, before moving to the next. So I'm hopeful...

I fear the worst though, given the history of VS behaviors and ineptness coupled with their penchant for lying to members. We have been told that VS intends to write their own xenForo plugins, rather than use already available, mature, proven and supported plugins. I just don't have a lick of confidence in that strategy.

We (Mods) were requested to declare which content we deem the most important to keep. I don't know what that means... its a silly request because I want all of it to transfer over! I ain't willing to cherry pick for them.

So we will all have to wait and see how the upcoming move goes, see whats left... Then we will have to wait and see how badly the plugin hacks break our shiny new, unmolested site.

Thats about all I have learned so far. If y'all have any questions or concerns, bring 'em!!!

·
Super Moderator
37,095 Posts
what I got out of it : were are going to change the site here, does not matter if you like it or not ?..tough cookies !..lol. I fear the worst to be honest, its a dumpster fire waiting to explode !..lol. my complaint is with ad's. if they are supporting the site, THEN WHY THE HELL DO WE HAVE SUPPORTING VENDERS ON HERE ??????????????. I know the real reason : SO THEY CAN MAKE TONS OF MONEY FOR EVERY AD CLICK YOU GIVE THEM !..LOL.

·
Super Moderator
37,095 Posts
@Admin, when I refresh the page, those two ad's change to something new every time !.

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
well I know a few other forums I am on are going to this NEW update change
and the one that was done already, SUCKS< its rather dull and plain jane looking, and just makes us older folks NOT want to be on the site as much due to the changes
and pretty sure all the forums seem to be run by same folks, so I too feel things will get worse for us older folks here
the tech savoy and younger folks that are up to date on constant changing things and have that need to KEEP changing things, will enjoy it more MAYBE

but that's life, nothing stays the same, good or bad!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Looking for an interpurter @retro + @GirlsRideToo , give it to me in street talk !!! -- LOL

What @retro said.

Migrating all the posts that you currently see to a new forum will not come without a glitch. I fear a lot of data will be lost because the new forum software will not know how to handle it. It will not be the fault of the new xenForo software, but the current forum software which is held together with zip-ties. It's like taking a 1997 Recon engine and putting it into a 2019 Rubicon. It's a bad mix. :icon_ nono2:

There is no question that this forum is not secure and has well known vulnerabilities that have never been addressed. @retro has done a fine job removing rogue posts so most of you never notice that there is a problem.

There is no doubt this forum does not work well in all browsers, and it should.

There is no doubt the reloading of posts is slow and haphazard fairly often, and it should not be.

If I had to guess, I think we'll see what most will consider a "plain Jane" forum compared to what it is now. There will no longer be classic vs full view "skins". Skins were just another way of saying that a update was attempted a few years back and the merge failed so they simply developed another version on top of the old one. The navigation of the two versions is a train wreck.

I am only guessing, but I bet the new forum will look something like this. It is a VS forum that has been updated to xenForo:

https://www.ar15forums.com/forums/

From a design perspective this forum is a mess and needs a facelift. Again, my fear is that a lot of older data will be lost or simply not be used in order to decrease the size of the database. We shall see.

If you have any posts or stickies that you love, I advise to copy and paste in simple text to your computer, just in case the light at the end of the tunnel is a train.

@mrbb, have no fear. I really think the xenforo format will be easier for us old folks. :)

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I'm a member on ARF, and it still has the classic view so that the forum appearance remained unchanged for me.

I'm still using the "classic" view here as well. Will that option remain? I hate having to use different formats all the time, so the first thing I do is look to see if there's an option to keep the previous view on a forum.

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
Thank you for commenting @GirlsRideToo!

And thank you for sharing that link to an already migrated VS forum!

So it looks like we are going to be transferring all of our valuables from our current rotten, leaky and sinking lifeboat into another obsolete, soon to be rotten & leaky lifeboat, judging by that link?

The current xenForo stable version is 2.1.3. The 2.1 series is a complete rewrite of the old 2.0 series which added a bunch of modern features and improved Mobile device browsing considerably. The 2.1 series is a state-of-the-art, high performance forum platform. For an overview of many of the new features in 2.1 see the list of Have you seen? announcements.

The 2.0 series was released almost two years ago. It is a fairly modern platform as well, but not nearly as modern and full-featured as the current 2.1 series is. 2.0 took xenForo to the top in forum software popularity though... during the 2.0 development life cycle xenForo usage surpassed all other platforms, becoming the number one forum platform on the Internet.

Four years ago the 1.5 series was released. It was also very popular and many forum operators are still using it. However, the old 1.5 series have reached End-Of-Life as of May 31st, 2019. 1.5 is no longer supported but critical security updates will be provided until December 31st, 2019. After that date 1.5 will be abandoned and will be unfit for use on the Internet for any purpose.

The VS forum migration viewed at https://www.ar15forums.com/forums/ appears to be running the obsolete and unsupported 1.5 series.

If that's indeed the case, WHY?

WHY ARE YOU DUMPING OUR VALUABLES INTO ANOTHER ROTTEN SINKING LIFEBOAT? Are you incapable of learning from your mistakes?

·
Super Moderator
5,062 Posts
All I'll add is this...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

·
Registered
613 Posts
My dear friend @retro. Drink a beer and calm down. We made a promise to stop beating this dead horse. VS has their business model and it will be implemented, regardless. I don't recall receiving a letter asking for my advice and guidance nor do I expect one to arrive via FedEx.
VS's business profile shows 200 employees. Currently, there are 19 advertised positions. Is this a almost 10% listing of vacant positions or newly developed positions? If the former, well that's very telling. 200 employees where I come from is considered a "small business". Not exactly what I would expect from a corp managing and developing 800+ websites/communities. They boast 25 million aggregate web pages and more than 125 million unique visitors per month.

So, are they concerned about this one forum with a few thousand pages out of their 800+ forums?? Of course not.

Again, VS will carry their plan forward, regardless. We just have to wait and see how it works out. @retro, pass me the shovel. I'm burying this horse. Let's talk about gizmos! Or, developing a new forum.

·
Premium Member
2,738 Posts
Spooky aint it.. scares me, an i dont know nutten.. hope it works out..

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
Let's talk about gizmos! Or, developing a new forum.
Are you serious? I'd love to!!

Actually I've just come from ajaxwhois.org searching and teasing my short list, looking for something that might stick to the wall. Earlier today I looked into approximate monthly costs for running an ad-free, parasite-free Hi-perf forum. I think I can handle all of those costs out-of-pocket. I already have a DEV server that I have been playing with in my spare time since early February, 100% command line Linux... Its a very fast, optimized (compiled from sources LEMP stack) web server and I'm confident that I can administer a bigger one just like it. But I am not a pro around web softwares like you are. So things have been moving along really, really slow, learning as I go....

Be careful what you ask for. I'm serious. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,956 Posts
You're right about the shovel. I'm upset because VS doesn't even try... and I'd like to enjoy my retirement years amongst folks that DO try. Most of our members here fit that description. I like them a lot. I don't want to watch our site circling the drain anymore. Please pass me that damn shovel just as soon as you're done with it? I'm reluctant, but I see a few new footings that must be dug. I am going to try.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.