Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
There is a pop up that comes up on this web site that says you have just received a virus and you need to fix now "CRITICAL" It trys to imitate a window that is generated from your own computer but it's not. Also the X close window box just activates it and it completely hi jacks your entire computer so you can't even do anything and of coarse eventually wants $99.00 to fix it with their bullshit. I couldn't even access my own files Son of a bitches!!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
^^^^aggree I have one:yeahbaby01:^^^^

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I was on my phone when I got hit but it just got my work laptop a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've had to rebuild my dad's compute twice because of this BS. You clicked on something somewhere that put the virus on your PC.

·
Super Moderator
1,720 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Having a Mac does not automatically protect you from malicious software.

1. Install anti-malware software like Microsoft Security Essentials
  2. Install popup blockers for your browser
  3. Never, ever arbitrarily click on anything that's not already familiar
The third is most important. I haven't run antivirus or malware protection on anything but my daily computer in over 10 years and I've never been infected.

·
Super Moderator
1,720 Posts
+1 people who get viruses are idiots. They click on random stuff that isnt familiar. But hey its job security for me lol.

·
Registered
290 Posts
^^ I wouldn't go this far. Everyone is susceptible regardless of experience or IQ. I've been in this industry for 36 years, there's no sure thing. Just last week I changed my Dish Network subscription, and purely by coincidence a few days later I received a phishing email with a title something like "your new Dish Network contract". 99.5% of the computer-owning population would have clicked on the attachment.

·
Super Moderator
1,720 Posts
Lol i guess your right, little harsh. My mom clicks on everything she sees so I keep a image of hers lol.
Ive been doing this for 6 years so you definitely got some experience on me :p

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^ I wouldn't go this far. Everyone is susceptible regardless of experience or IQ. I've been in this industry for 36 years, there's no sure thing. Just last week I changed my Dish Network subscription, and purely by coincidence a few days later I received a phishing email with a title something like "your new Dish Network contract". 99.5% of the computer-owning population would have clicked on the attachment.
Thanks, This was a window that covered most of the screen and imitated a security threat that needed immediate attention and required to be fixed now and my computer became completely unusable unless I bought they're security system but they were the only real problem. I was interested in several articles here and it got me twice. The third time I was able to close this forums site and escaped from it. I had to reset my computer to an earlier date and ran Microsofts scan and no threats found. I have over simplified this but that's the just of it.

·
Super Moderator
1,720 Posts
Run malwarebytes as well that will find any leftovers also.

·
Registered
202 Posts
It is a vicious cycle, I had a personal computer that I used for work infected from an email that I received from a co-worker. Turns out she had stopped using that email due to email account because it was compromised and never told anyone.

I got off cheap, it cost me a case of beer from a friend to get it fixed.

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
Sorry guys, but this problem with malicious software on the forum is also occurring with Macs. Just as it does not occur with all PC's, it does not occur with all Macs. One thing you can do to help is to go to 'Internet Options'. In Internet Options, click on "Delete History on Exit"
We'll work on the problem at our end as well. Thanks for your patience.

And, for goodness sake, if you do receive a screen that says 'A problem was detected on your computer", don't believe it. Exit that screen, and re-enter Hondaatvforums.net

1 - 15 of 15 Posts