Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a completely stock 06' 400ex and want to know where i should start to get better performance or would it be better to just move up to the 450r? thanks!!

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Welcome to the forums, I think most people start with an aftermarket air filter, exhaust and re-jet the carb. In your case you could play with different sprocket sizes too for more top end at the expense of some bottom end grunt.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
I agree with Fourtrax all those are fairly cheap and easy mods. They will help out i would take the air box lid off to if your not running in deep water or lots of mud. Also another thing to think about is a aftermarket cdi. The cdi changes your timing curve and makes your rpms go higher before you rev limit out. They are a cheap and easy horsepower gain. If you want to or are capable of riping into the motor maybe a web cam or a hot cam would also make you some horses.

P.S. 400ex's can pretty easily be as fast or faster than a 450r. Plus you have an 06 and im pretty sure that one has reverse. 450r's do not have reverse. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Hmf is what i run and my brother runs it to. They are more expensive but way worth it.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Full is gunna be better but thats up to you. I have a white brothers head pipe and my brother runs a curtis sparks head pipe on his 400 with a hmf slip on. Different ones have different power increases and different tones. What kind of power are you looking for?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i am looking to get the most power i can get out of it.. dont really care about the tone or the looks.. so for power which exhaust do you recommend?? thanks for helpin me out im not very good with quads but im learning

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
I would say HMF or Curtis Sparks with a Uni air filter with the lid removed. A stage 2 hot cam and jetted accordingly. Put a new CDI on and you will have tons more power...

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
a little mud and water isnt bad i was just talking about submerging it. You could get an outerwear for the uni filter or you could get a k&n with an outerwear. That would help in the mud.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
ebay. Or craigslist maybe? Or you could just go to the websites. Hmf.com, Hotcamshafts.com, you know. You may be able to get the air filter from a auto parts store. I know here we had a parts distributers that can get filters and outerwears. Look for a big gun rev box. Those are good cdi for the 400s

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
I might be hittin a little mud/water so i dont think i can remove the airbox lid..
Modify your lid... Drill some 1/2" or 3/8" holes all over it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts