Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so the county wants to take all the land weve been riding on for 30 years and put in a ohv park, so if you want to ride fish hunt or even go for a walk you have to pay they want 6000 acres screw that we dont want it,they want to take away our way of life and were not going to sit back and take it so if you want to help go to www.thepetitionsite click on envirioment and wildlife,then click on parks and forest scroll down and you will see ,we need jobs not ohv park please sign up so when they have there next meeting we can show were serious about not wanting this,and tell all your friends and have them tell there friends ect. thanks in advanced...mike

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with the state wanting to charge. Here in Colorado we pay 25 bucks per vehicle per year. That goes towards trail maintainance, search and rescue, and everything else OHV related.

Be thankful they don't want to close your riding area.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I read some of the information and some of the comments. There are now no regulations about where and when people can ride, and ATV's go tearing through the area during hunting season. You probably having hunters out there shooting without knowing ATV's or hikers are around. With the park they will designate areas for each use.

It sucks when land close to suburban areas gets consumed, and it saddens me. But, at the same time, we can't stop progress. If they don't do this, then eventually they might just sell it and it will be a subdivision. Which would you rather have?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea pain thats the one, and red i understand ohv parks can be good in some places but around here there tring to take everything, i dont think we should be told where to ride, how fast to go and when we can go, we made these trails and now its a slap in the face, just so the commisiners can take credit, now where i used to work before it shut down theres a state of art building built in 2004 with a state of art paint booth they should be tring to get someone in there instead of screwing all of us

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
yah i agree with red let the them change it we ride at st.joe state park u pay 5$ per bike and they use that money to keep the place up and safe and its still a blast u can walk ride bikes hores back and every thaing else u like to do just for a 5$doller fee

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Is the Land owned by the county/state?

If it is, then it's owned by all the people of the county/state, not just the people who have been using it up till now.

I feel for you, I really do. I hate to see land consumed by sprawl and crawl. It is really sickening to me. But, most people can not afford to own their own land and having public land for uses like this is for the good of the whole community.

Good luck with your petition and please gather all the bodies you can and go to the hearings. The on-line petition won't help. You need to go in person to the hearings and show your strength in numbers. Be respectful, yet forceful and state your case. Thats all that is going to help you, so coordinate, and go speak in person and hopefully it will go your way.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i belive we have 2 more meetings to go yet but we want to take the petitoin with us, see its not all about riding the stuff about people riding during hunting season may be some kid who doesent know any better other than that we all respect the hunters,but you need to know theres more people around here that dont want it than there is that do but it all comes down to politics

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Saying it's all politics is an easy scapegoat. I encourage you to look beyond the us against them mentallity and consider the reality of the situation. If the county owns the land, then they either have to make money on it, or, they have to sell it. It's really that simple. They are paying taxes on it [perhaps by not collecting taxes on it, that means they are paying taxes on it] and they either have to improve the land, or they have to sell it.

***Improving is a strange word, and in your view it's not improving the land to build this park. But, the reality is that the land either has to produce revenue, or it will be sold. That is a fact.

ADDED: By the way. On-line signatures from people in California won't help. Get all your friends, print out a bunch of petitions and go spend all weekend at the malls getting local signatures. And, make sure they have local addresses and phone numbers. That will help.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is the Land owned by the county/state?

If it is, then it's owned by all the people of the county/state, not just the people who have been using it up till now.

I feel for you, I really do. I hate to see land consumed by sprawl and crawl. It is really sickening to me. But, most people can not afford to own their own land and having public land for uses like this is for the good of the whole community.

Good luck with your petition and please gather all the bodies you can and go to the hearings. The on-line petition won't help. You need to go in person to the hearings and show your strength in numbers. Be respectful, yet forceful and state your case. Thats all that is going to help you, so coordinate, and go speak in person and hopefully it will go your way.
most of the land is abandoned coal land, but our main gripe is we camped there rode there walked there picked up garbage there, a majority of us have been takeing care of that land for 30 years and if they do put it in we feel we as locals should not have to pay for something we have been taking care of for so long while they did nothing, you see theres not a lot to do around here the mountain is all we have, we grew up in it, as kids thats where we spent most of our time, and now other kids spend a lot of time there whats going to happen if a few kids go up to build a fort and security kicks them out see theres a lot of reasons we dont want it but to much to type but im just hoping to get mor sigs. on that so we can preserve how we do things and not how the county wants us to do it

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
2 things from your comments.

1. I'm sorry for you and your kids for being kicked out of what you feel is your heritage. I understand completely how you feel. It doesn't change the fact of the situation.

2. I encourage you to contact your local representatives and ask for some sort of accomodation for the local residents, particularly those who own land that borders this area. You may get a discount or have fee waved completely for X number of years.

And then there is option 3, which is to continue to attend the meetings and hope the outcome is different. I think the chances of that are slim if you consider the cost of the land and the future financial gains of owning it for the county/state.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Here are 2 similar areas currently in operation. Rocky Run in PA, and Hatfield-McCoy in WV. It looks like they did about the same thing, reclaimed former coal mining land, removed toxic debris, built waste-water treatment ponds to neutralize acidic runoff from the coal spoils with limestone, etc.

http://www.rockrunrecreation.com/

http://www.trailsheaven.com/

·
Registered
84 Posts
here in maine we pay 33$ and you have to stay on trails cant go in any water or marshland trails only up to a 1000$ fin. cant even have a snorkal but some do. i thinking of it...lol

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Here's the Q&A for Northumberland OHV park. Looks like there will be some tiered payment system with proposed discounts for local residents. I would guess the hunting areas will be free or low cost with most of the fees coming from the ATV permits, but that's a guess.

Northumberland County OHV Recreation Park

I would imagine the local businesses would be the most benefited by this by all the outsiders coming in, staying in hotels, eating, etc. Not to mention cleaning up the coal waste.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts