Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
welcome to the forums. simple fix. remove the rocker box, pull that slotted shaft out, this holds your rocker shaft in the rocker box, on the end where that slot is ?, there is an o-ring, replace it. also have tube of hondabond or yamabond to put on the rocker box sealing surface to seal it, DO NOT USE RTV SEALANT !. also, I can't remember ?, but I THINK ?, there is a dowel pin sticking through the rocker shaft holding it in ?, can't remember ?, if so ?, it will need to be removed in order to pull the rocker shaft out.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
if you live near a harbor freight ?, go there, buy a o-ring kit, they are in a blue box, they are metric !. they also have a red box, stn size O-rings, buy that as well, never hurts to have too many O-rings..lol. they are cheap in price, works well.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Think your right about the dowel shady. Also there are two dowell pins in the rocker cover itself, make sure they don't fall out! I searched for over an hour for one of mine, damn thing lol.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
Think your right about the dowel shady. Also there are two dowell pins in the rocker cover itself, make sure they don't fall out! I searched for over an hour for one of mine, damn thing lol.
yeah, one holds the decompression lever in the rocker box..its in there loose..lol.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
yeah, one holds the decompression lever in the rocker box..its in there loose..lol.
Now you tell me :laugh: :laugh:

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
want to point out, watch how you take the rocker box bolts out !!, there is two bolts on that side that should have copper sealing washers !.

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
Now you tell me :laugh: :laugh:
damn bro, I gotta teach you everything ??!!..lmaooo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had to remove valve covers to get screws out. Are the orings available from Honda seperate or should I get a "kit" online?

Are these the dowels? They seem frozen. Any tricks or just work them out the best I can?

Also, I am CASE Industrial tractor mechanic - not AG (red) or used to be. Im in sales now but if any one needs any info I might be able to help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
I had to remove valve covers to get screws out. Are the orings available from Honda seperate or should I get a "kit" online?

Are these the dowels? They seem frozen. Any tricks or just work them out the best I can?

Also, I am CASE Industrial tractor mechanic - not AG (red) or used to be. Im in sales now but if any one needs any info I might be able to help.
yes, that is the dowel pin you need to remove, a pair of vise grips works good, twisting and pulling, some can be a pain to remove.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a valve cover leaking and looks like an easy oring style replacement. I also have to screw / plugs leaking. Please see picture. Please advise on repair.
Just registered to comment on this post, hello sir i own a 1993 Honda fourtrax with oil leaking from the same spot, did you have to do anything with the valves after you took the cover off? Also what kindve gasket sealer did you use to put it back on? I have some permatex Copper, will it work?

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
You'll need some Hondabond 4 or Yamabond 4 (or equivalent) sealer for the rocker cover and you'll need to loosen up the valve adjustments before assembly. Best practice is loosen valves before you take the cover bolts out... prevents binding if a valve is open.

Once the cover is installed and bolts properly torqued you'll need to readjust the valves to spec. And after the motor has been run and heat cycled a few times, you'll need to readjust the valves a final time. You can start a thread of your own if you'd like some assistance. Have fun!

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts

·
Premium Member
38,619 Posts
DO NOT USE RTV SEALANT !.

Please elaborate......
whats to explain ??..lol. ok..ok..i'll break it down for ya..lol. RTV sealant, once used, will harden over time, once this happens, it breaks off inside the motor, falls down, heads for the oil pump, pick up screen, oil galleys, you name it, guess what happens next ?..you know it !..clogged !!!, motor gets no oil, motor seizes !!. yamahbond, or hondabond, once used, DOES NOT FULLY DRY....EVER !!, it stays liquid like as long as its there. soooooooo..it does not break off, and ruin your motor/day .

Reactions: Jeepwm69
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.