Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally got time to look at the atv and found that ,the atv is actually in nuetral not reverse,rolls foward and backards, but still shows R all the time on the display, and wont let it start and still, cant change gear manualy,need help fast
!!!!!!!!!!!! 2000 honda rancher es 4x4

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
What kind of Honda 4-wheeler is it?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I'm not too familiar with the ES models, but the gear position indicator might be bad.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Are you able to use the emergency shifter tool to change into different gears, even though it doesn't show the gear on the display? If so, then that would eliminate a faulty transmission or gearshift linkage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried to shift it manually with the tool,it seems like the shaft will only move 1/8 of an inch or less both ways,It is really wont shift at all

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I tried to shift it manually with the tool,it seems like the shaft will only move 1/8 of an inch or less both ways,It is really wont shift at all
If it won't shift with the shifting tool, then according to the repair manual, you either have a faulty transmission or fault shift linkage. I'm not sure about the ES models, but the foot shift models are bad about breaking the shift linkage.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I finally got time to look at the atv and found that ,the atv is actually in nuetral not reverse,rolls foward and backards, but still shows R all the time on the display, and wont let it start and still, cant change gear manualy,need help fast
Is anything blinking on the screen on your handlebar?

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
The 2000 models don't have the ability to store trouble codes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The 2000 models don't have the ability to store trouble codes.
Thanks for the clarification.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
My buddy had the same problem as you he had to take his back to the dealer where he bought it. After about 3 weeks he had it riding it again. I think the dealership had to replace something in the transmission and reset the computer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank everyone for your input,I found a guy to work on my rancher,the electric shifter went bad,before I got it,and the former owner started using the shifting tool all the time,bent all forks in tranny,Now I back in the mountains and the guy only charged me 300.00 to fix it,thanks everyone!!!!!

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Thank everyone for your input,I found a guy to work on my rancher,the electric shifter went bad,before I got it,and the former owner started using the shifting tool all the time,bent all forks in tranny,Now I back in the mountains and the guy only charged me 300.00 to fix it,thanks everyone!!!!!
A few people have mentioned welding a permanent shifter to the shaft on the ES model and converting it to a foot shift, but according to this, maybe that's not a good idea.

Anyway, glad you got it fixed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts