Honda ATV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have an 06 250ex. When I started it up this morning I noticed a whining noise that gets louder as you increase throttle.There is no power loss and it shifts smoothly. I have never heard a 4wheeler make this noise and I don't know where to begin.it sounds like it's coming from the top end. A friend said it might b the starter clutch goin but it fires right up first push of starter.the whine is present through all the gears also. Any thoughts on where to look? I hate to just start takin it apart blindly. Thank you

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Do you still have engine braking? Does the engine hold you back when going downhill? The centrifugal clutch has a one-way bearing just like the starter clutch has, but when it goes bad you lose engine braking.

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
Yes I still have engine breaking...
That rules out the one-way clutch bearing, then. I don't know what else it could be. Maybe someone else will have had that problem and might know what it is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok think i have it narrowed down. after adjusting valves and checking starter i still had the whining/rattle. I pulled the top end off andnoticed some scoring on the bottom of the intake rod. Im starting to think its cam related...or could it be the chain tensioner not working? Im gonna take it to the honda dealer,any idea what it costs to replace the cam? I know the case will have to be split so it probably wont be cheap. Opinions???

·
Premium Member
23,581 Posts
I know the case will have to be split so it probably wont be cheap.
To replace the cam, the crankcase doesn't have to be split in the middle, but either the front or rear engine cover has to come off and I don't know which one on the 250EX. I'm not too familiar with a 250EX. I don't have any idea what the dealer would charge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts