Votes: 18 27.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.1%

• Total voters
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
The advantage to the foam filters like UNI over an OEM filter is the increased filter surface area. Plus it's a different kind of foam, so they do actually flow a bit better anyway. K&Ns are fine if you use the prefilter, but then you have no more flow than a UNI type filter and it costs 5 times as much lol
My K&N with pre-filter not only didn't cost five times more than a comparable UNI for my 2015 Rancher, it wasn't even double the cost. A UNI for the Rancher is about $27 plus shipping from RMATV (no free shipping unless you spend $99), whereas I got my K&N w/ pre-filter for less than $50 from a different website (RMATV sadly has it for nearly $60 without pre-filter) with free shipping. Sure, the K&N was still more expensive, but I'll never, ever have to replace it. I may have to replace one or two pre-filters along the way, which are less than $10 if you shop around, but the filter itself is guaranteed for what, 1,000,000 miles? :) Even foam that you can clean will eventually break apart and wear out, meaning you'll have to buy a whole other system or at least a $20 replacement. I think over the life of a machine, the K&N more than pays for itself. But that's just my experience with them. I've owned K&N filters for every machine I own that they make a filter for, and recently even switched over to their oil filters.

I'm sure you were just messing around, but five times the cost? No, not even twice the cost, and over time, I'll be willing to wager that the K&N will turn out less expensive than the UNI. Depends on machine life and all that, of course. Just my $.02.
I didn't literally mean 5 times as much lol. Here is the price from where I buy most of my stuff, keep in mind this is Canadian dollars and it's a Canadian store. I picked the filter for the Rincon....

UNI - $34.99 - Total = $34.99
K&N - $78.99 + Prefilter ($31.99) Total = $110.98

So not 5 times, but 3 and a bit.

Excluding of course the oil or cleaning kit, whatever you buy.
UNI Oil is $11.99 for 16oz
K&N Oil is $7.99 for 8oz

UNI Cleaner is $14.99 for 16oz
K&N Cleaner is $10.99 for 12oz

Now, you mentioned that over time the K&N would turn out less expensive. How, I'm not sure? The UNI is infinitely cleanable and reusable just as the K&N is, actually cheaper to re-oil. So it starts off less expensive and will be so for the entirety of it's service life. I've had one on my Rancher for 15 years and its fine, will probably last at least another 10 years. So lets say it spontaneously falls apart after being on there for 25 years. I but a new one for $30. I can do this 3 times before I hit the cost of one K&N. Do you think your K&N or even the machine it's on will last for 75 years? lol

·
Registered
76 Posts
Obviously I had no idea you're purchasing in Canada or that K&N stuff is that expensive there. For that fact alone we're not comparing apples to oranges. You asked how I could say it's not as expensive? Because here in the U.S. it's nowhere near that. I already laid out my pricing, and it's not even twice as much. That's just a fact. If it's that expensive there, fine, I understand and see your point. But the filter for the Rancher is not $80 here with a $32 pre-filter. I spent less than $60 for both the filter and pre-filter, and the UNI here is about $35 with shipping. Yes, the K&N is still more expensive, which I acknowledged, but it's nowhere near that price in the States. I like K&N, simple as that.

This is one of those arguments that tend to go nowhere and gets everyone all riled up. I was just saying that the price difference isn't near what people are saying depending on where you buy it and...what country you're in. LOL

For your situation, yes, the K&N wouldn't be the smart buy, the UNI would be. Awesome. Glad the UNI is an option for you otherwise you'd be getting burned.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
The advantage to the foam filters like UNI over an OEM filter is the increased filter surface area. Plus it's a different kind of foam, so they do actually flow a bit better anyway. K&Ns are fine if you use the prefilter, but then you have no more flow than a UNI type filter and it costs 5 times as much lol
My K&N with pre-filter not only didn't cost five times more than a comparable UNI for my 2015 Rancher, it wasn't even double the cost. A UNI for the Rancher is about $27 plus shipping from RMATV (no free shipping unless you spend $99), whereas I got my K&N w/ pre-filter for less than $50 from a different website (RMATV sadly has it for nearly $60 without pre-filter) with free shipping. Sure, the K&N was still more expensive, but I'll never, ever have to replace it. I may have to replace one or two pre-filters along the way, which are less than $10 if you shop around, but the filter itself is guaranteed for what, 1,000,000 miles? :) Even foam that you can clean will eventually break apart and wear out, meaning you'll have to buy a whole other system or at least a $20 replacement. I think over the life of a machine, the K&N more than pays for itself. But that's just my experience with them. I've owned K&N filters for every machine I own that they make a filter for, and recently even switched over to their oil filters.

I'm sure you were just messing around, but five times the cost? No, not even twice the cost, and over time, I'll be willing to wager that the K&N will turn out less expensive than the UNI. Depends on machine life and all that, of course. Just my $.02.
The filter might not be that much more expensive than others, but the engine rebuild will sure cost you.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
K&N Air Filters are one of the best. It's been a year since I bought mine from 4 Wheel Online and they still work great.
A whole year! Wow!

My vehicles range from 32 years old up to a 2011. When you've been running that K&N for 32 years you can say something is "one of the best". Otherwise you're just regurgitating sales pitches.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Glad I read this thread as my next question was which air filter to use. I've used K&N air filters on ALL of my Mustangs for 25+ years, have only had positive results, and have not had to replace one yet. Clean and PROPERLY re-oil every so often and they're good as new. I understand the different application environments (off-road vs. street) but wasn't K&N filters originally designed for use in off-road/motorcycle/dirtbike applications? I've read in this thread concerns over the K&N's filtration or lack there-of. Never would I question someone who has years of experience in applications like this but, and I'm asking, really? I've never heard of K&N producing a bad or ineffective product. My experience in the off-road/atv world is indeed limited but I've been around the muscle car/performance/automotive industry my whole life. I've never even heard of a UNI filter but apparently they're held in high regard from reading this thread. Historically speaking, a K&N is the FIRST modification one does to his or her ride. Both to increase performance AS WELL AS increase filtering. This thread, however, has inserted an ounce of doubt as to what is the best filter to use. I plan on having my atv for a very long time so it would behove me to choose wisely for the benefit of engine longevity by ensuring it gets only the most filtered of air to breathe.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a K&N for my Stealth TT, but decided to sell the one for my quad in favor of a two-stage Uni with an Outerwears cover. The varying conditions played a big factor in my decision to sell the K&N; on-road, I have no worry about them letting debris/particles past, off-road is another story as the amount of airborne contaminants is much higher, especially with several other riders in front of you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i owned a TRX300 for almost 10 years. About 1/2 way thru the ten years I decided I wanted more power from the engine, so I did the exhaust, air filter and jetting tricks. I choose a K&N filter. After three years the engine needed rings and a bore job. The bore was so scratched up, I invited a Honda mechanic to look it over, and he advised not to repair it. When I told him it had a K&N filter in it he said "No wonder" and proceeded to tell me about all the problems he had seen with the K&N. I checked the intake box inside the filter and it was a dusty mess. He was right! I will never buy another K&N. I am now running a Uni and a Twin-Air.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
16 Participants
Woodsruner
Honda ATV Forum
We’re a forum community dedicated to Honda ATV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades and reliability for your Rancher, Foreman, Recon, FourTrax, Pioneer, and more!
Full Forum Listing