Honda ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sitting on my Rancher AT, it was idling in reverse and I just touched the throttle to back it up a little, suddenly it roared backward at full throttle so quickly I couldn't do anything. Fortunately it was only eight feet from my camp trailer which it hit causing some damage to the trailer and ATV. I was lucky, when it hit the trailer, I was far enough to the the side that I was thrown clear and landed on my back. I was wearing a helmet so my injuries were small. I have never seen any vehicle accelerate on it's own. It has fuel injection. I wonder if something is wrong with the computer. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Wow that is an extremely dangerous situation. This kind of thing should have been fail-safed in my opinion. Did it go faster in reverse then it normally would? Im pretty sure they are only supposed to do 5-10 mph in reverse. If it went faster i would really suspect the computer. It would have also disabled the reverse rev limiter. Welcome to the forums!

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
...you got to love fly by wire technologies , I really wonder how the equipment manufacturers have not got sued out of business yet , last week in the oil refinery a JD dozer with a fly by wire hydrostatic travel had a malfunction with a sensor and took a no stopping it , immediate hard turn and just missed a tank full of chemicals , I was told if the operator wouldn't have turned the machine off as fast as he did , then it would have maybe punched a hole in the tank

a few weeks back I worked on a Volvo excavator , one of the most complexed wiring set-ups I have had to deal with , 24 volt system starting / charging circuit , with inventors and convertors , the throttle runs on ac voltage and there is also 12 volts on board for accessories , more fuses , relays , resistors , diodes than I have ever seen on a machine , I w able to get it going , there was a plug going into the engine with like 20 wires in it , there was corrosion in the terminals , it's problem was it would stay wide open as soon as you started it and there was no controlling it

·
Premium Member
5,956 Posts
Thats some scary stuff for sure! Its been going on for a couple decades now too. There is an untold number of folks dead cause they made the fatal mistake of operating a machine that isn't human controlled. The horror stories have been getting more sophisticated and bizarre every year, yet... we hear nothing but crickets... and frantic coverup public dramas.

Collateral Damage they prefer to call it. Minimizes human perception of reality through the choice of words and language, when they can get folks to listen to their excuses. Its negligent homicide at a minimum, and usually worse, in our real world reality.

I'm afraid to even work on computerized heavy equipment anymore, too much at risk both for myself and the owner/operator. Particularly if its an agricultural machine... entire families can be put at risk then, so I say no... call the tech out and pay the big bucks.

Best you can do for innocent bystanders is put Hazardous Vehicle signs on it maybe... and "Stay back 500 feet".

Got any better ideas?

Welcome to the forums! Its much safer here I assure you!

·
Registered
8,309 Posts
does it rev up at all when in neutral, can you work throttle while in N and have NO issue's

sticky throttle cable? can you try lubing it if thats it?

·
Premium Member
12,647 Posts
does it rev up at all when in neutral, can you work throttle while in N and have NO issue's

sticky throttle cable? can you try lubing it if thats it?[/QUOTE

I think I read where he said it was fuel injected , maybe I messed something ----------------- with " fly by wire " technology there is no throttle cable , most everything I touch that is new has no throttle cable any more

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Check throttle cable. There is nothing computerized about how the machine a actuates the butterfly valve in the throttle body, it's the same as a carb....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts